• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 Simple Reasons for Any Rational Person to Reject Materialism

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Truth means our perception of things. We have to go by that, otherwise you are invalidating your premise.
What do you mean by 'perception of things'? Anything we perceive by the senses'? That's exactly how scientific method proceeds, so if that's the case we shouldn't be arguing.

Or do you mean something more like 'feel'? That would mean there was no objective test for truth, that truth was whatever it please one to think was true, no? I don't think the metallurgy in my car, the chip in my puter, the Mars rovers, work because someone just slung some stuff together.

What have I missed?
You are limiting the material perception to parameters that don't hold, compared to perception.
So what parameters, exactly, should I be using instead?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So what parameters, exactly, should I be using instead?

You specifically, the parameters that you are presented. And I don't currently believe that that would lead you to "materialism".

If a person were very religious, and they felt like they got ripped off in the exchange, that's fine. However, that would not in my view mean that they would have to rigorously adhere to a worldview that upholds "materialism", to the point of ignoring their own possible non materialistic perception. That non materialism realization is perfectly fine whether they would then choose to be "religious", or not, in my view. I'm ok with that, personally. And, really, why would that person deny themself that understanding.

Not too obscure, I hope.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You specifically, the parameters that you are presented. And I don't currently believe that that would lead you to "materialism".
We agree that a world exists external to the self. We agree that the senses can sufficiently inform us of it. We examine it thoroughly, intelligently, and we find nothing but the material. A good way to get a grasp of what this means for eg brain research is to check eg the net site Science Daily regularly and make yourself familiar with what's being found. We map and explore the brain, and set out to describe and explain its functions. Certainly it's a work in progress, but the progress made possible by better and better tools in the last two decades is seriously impressive. If you don't have some familiarity and understanding with that, then I'd suggest you were ignoring information vital to any search for what's true in reality.

You still haven't clarified for me what you meant by 'perceptions' when you gave your definition of 'truth'. It can't be sensory perceptions, or you'd agree with science, so what's the missing piece?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We agree that a world exists external to the self. We agree that the senses can sufficiently inform us of it. We examine it thoroughly, intelligently, and we find nothing but the material. A good way to get a grasp of what this means for eg brain research is to check eg the net site Science Daily regularly and make yourself familiar with what's being found. We map and explore the brain, and set out to describe and explain its functions. Certainly it's a work in progress, but the progress made possible by better and better tools in the last two decades is seriously impressive. If you don't have some familiarity and understanding with that, then I'd suggest you were ignoring information vital to any search for what's true in reality.

You still haven't clarified for me what you meant by 'perceptions' when you gave your definition of 'truth'. It can't be sensory perceptions, or you'd agree with science, so what's the missing piece?
Ok, so you really are a devout materialist. Your usage of we is incorrect, as I have already informed you that my perceptions do not uphold materialism.

Your methodology rules for determining truth are entirely subjective, and although you have made those arbitrary rules, it really has nothing to do with me. That fact is a refutation of your parameters, alone, because it means that the perception is not limited to a materialistic knowing. Your own rules refute your premise.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your methodology rules for determining truth are entirely subjective, and although you have made those arbitrary rules, it really has nothing to do with me.
You've still offered no coherent explanation of how you determine what is true and what is not. Please illustrate your reply with a worked-through example.

How do you do so?
\That fact is a refutation of your parameters, alone, because it means that the perception is not limited to a materialistic knowing. Your own rules refute your premise.
Please describe in sufficient detail the kind of knowing that you yourself use.

Thermos aquaticus

Now I have to solve your problems for you? Haha I have no idea what the mechanism would look like cause nobody has even come close to finding such a thing. However, I can easily tell you have to observe if thoughts take up space and such, just look! I'll send you a pic of me and my girl in our house, and you measure the love in the room based off said picture. Then I'll concede and accept materialism.

Does the physical size of your hard drive increase when you download a file?

That's simply untrue, you've just only shared one piece of evidence so far. I literally told you what evidence would convince me of materialism, several times.

But we have that evidence. We have neuron activity. That is the mechanism. You have already rejected it.

Wait... Are you kidding me? You think we cannot observe mechanisms? You mean, like the observation upon which things like evolution are founded upon? Give me a break.

We can directly observe the mechanism of neuron activity yet you still reject it.

Hahahhah so you don't even believe logic! A can be Non A if we think we observe it! Bachelor's can be married! Squares could be circular! Who know?! See point 8 in OP: materialism reduces to absurdity. Considering logic itself is immateral this is not surprising for a Materialist.

Let's look at point 8:

"For example it pretends to be a skeptical position but relies on the senses and puts what we know aside for what we know through it. This is the exact opposite of skepticism, and skepticism and materialism are mutually exclusive. "

That boils down to solipsism where we can't trust anything we observe. That's an absurdity.

Right, like observing an empty room and seeing X amount of space. Now add to X the amount of space mine and my SOs material body take up. Now put us in the room together, accounting for the space we take up, and see measure how much space is taken up by our love, lust, shared memories, etc. You will OBSERVE that no extra space is taken up, thus scientifically proving materialism wrong.

Does your computer increase in size when it is running a program as compared to not running a program?

Now go ahead, say I haven't shown evidence or observation again buddy.

All you have done is made the unevidenced claim that your brain should increase in size due to neuron activity. I think you can see how that makes no sense. It is further falsified by the fact that computers do not increase in size as they run programs or download files.

3. Trolling and Bullying
Where Rule 1 covers personal attacks, Rule 3 governs other behaviors and content that can generally be described as being a jerk. Unacceptable behaviors and content include:

2) Defamation, slander, or misrepresentation of a member's beliefs/arguments, or that of a particular group, culture, or religion. This includes altering the words of another member to change their meaning when using the quote feature.

3) Antagonism, bullying, or harassment - including but not limited to personal attacks, slander, and misrepresentation

Reported.

Physician, heal thyself.

You know your computer can run out of space right???

Does your hard drive increase its physical size as it downloads files?

Well no I accept that what we do is willful since that what cognitive science has shown us.

What cognitive science is that? How do you determine after you take an action that you could have made a different choice?

You're not really suggesting there's no difference between subjective and objective, are you?

I take it that you can't show how the subjective exists in a separate universe, as you claimed? When a computer takes in inputs and then outputs actions is there an immaterial consciousness guiding the process? Is the process by which the computer processes inputs a subjective process?

Right. The upper paleolithic revolution didn't happen cause you say so. I'm on to you. We're done here.

And now you are shifting the goalposts. You have not shown a shred of evidence that the UPR occurred in such a way that it could not have occurred through mutations. In fact, the paper you cited previously stated quite clearly that it was consistent with the process of mutation.

Kelly of the Phoenix

You know your computer can run out of space right???
You realize how data is stored, right? It doesn't affect the total amount of space, true. However, it is a fact that the picture of the elephant is just 1s and 0s engraved in a certain spot on your drive. Your computer, so far, does not know it's a picture of an elephant. It doesn't even know what an elephant is. All it knows is that a certain file has a certain configuration ... in a material world. The picture you scanned or downloaded into your computer was a physical thing. The subject in the photo was a physical thing, even if it were CGI, because the CGI would itself be a physical file.

being spacial vs. not taking up space
Thoughts and memories are just reconfigurations of total space, like uploading a file onto a computer. There IS a physical presence that can be detected in a few ways even if we're not to the point yet where we can stick an electrode on your head and determine precisely what you're thinking. We CAN determine a lot about what you're thinking, though, by observing the physical properties of the brain we're observing.

being objective and being subjective
Subjectivity is a reasoning issue, which is a function of the physical anatomy of the brain.

being universally accessible and being wholly private,
Is there anything "wholly private"?

Now imagine your fantasy man/woman standing in the room before you. Does she take up space?
I think I get what your problem is. You are failing this concept:

Have you ever had to sit through homework balancing equations? Rearrangement is what you are describing, not magic.

Things like cognitive science prove the mind can override the brain.
Not really. It is just rearranging what's there.

Absurdity
It's less about objective absurdity and more about you feeling it's absurd.

We agree that the senses can sufficiently inform us of it.
And in the event of illusions, we can objectively test via other means whether our senses are seeing/hearing/smelling what we think they are.

http://blog.doctor-ramani.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/arrow-illusion.jpg

We can be fooled into thinking the shafts of the arrow are different. I doubt a computer would do that, because it would simply count the pixels or something objectively.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Thank you all very much, I think this is the thread that has been my break through to treating materialism the way it deserves to be treated. Anyone preaching fideistic views will be ignored ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶.̶ as of now.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you all very much, I think this is the thread that has been my break through to treating materialism the way it deserves to be treated. Anyone preaching fideistic views will be ignored ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶.̶ as of now.
But you haven't addressed any of the key points raised.

Not least, how the immaterial can be distinguished from the imaginary.

So as one last clearing of the air before you withdraw, at least tell us how that's done.

Or agree that you can't do it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What is materialism? It is known as other things like material reductionism and physicalism among others. It is the view that only one substance exists – matter – and that all reduces to matter. This is a faith-based position that is spreading wildly through the West as a reaction to oppressive Western religions. It is philosophically unsound and has no supporting evidence. Let at look at this.

Well, this depends strongly on what you consider to be 'matter', 'material', or 'physical'. For example, light is certainly considered to exist, even by materialists, but it does not take up space or have mass. So, at least potentially, we have a bit of a straw man being set up here. let's stick to physicalism since it allows for physical things that may not actually have mass or take up volume.

Also, even physicalists allow for *processes* which involve physical things. The dynamics can be important as well as the composition. More on this later.

1) The “evidence” for materialism is that doing something to the brain effects how consciousness comes through. Take a drug or a hammer to your head and you may start slurring, seeing things, hearing things, stumbling, etc. This is not evidence of materialism because it is also expected in more supported positions such as dualism and idealism, as we will see. It is the only support that materialism has presented thus far in its favor and it does not even actually suggest materialism itself. We will look at this more below.

No, the evidence for consciousness being a physical process is much more detailed than that. We can point to specific areas of the brain that deal with planning, emotions of various sorts, memory, etc. So, unlike a radio, we can actually point to specific places where a faulty mechanism in the brain affects the conscious state.

And, given the effectiveness of, say, anesthetics, we know that not only can consciousness be affected, but it can actually be turned off via chemical and other physical processes.

2) The Law of Identity is the most basic and foundational law of logic and states that things with different properties cannot be identical – “A is A and not Non-A”. The material and conscious worlds have entirely different properties, including but not limited to (respectively); being spacial vs. not taking up space, being objective and being subjective, being universally accessible and being wholly private, and many more. We can illustrate this by looking at a brain, having others see it as well, and measuring the space taken up by the brain. Now imagine your fantasy man/woman standing in the room before you. Does she take up space? Can others see her? Are the traits that make her “perfect” objective? Of course not, because matter and consciousness have different properties, and so thinking matter causes the mind is a violation of the most basic logic.

As pointed out above, not all physical things take up space. So that isn't a relevant aspect. Second, with MRI and other brain scans, aspects that were previously 'subjective' are now becoming objective. In particular, again, we can point to actual brain processes that mediate our thoughts and emotions.

In the imagining of the woman, you are mistaking the internal representation for the real woman. If the 'thought' of the woman is a process in the brain (which all available evidence points to being the case), the thought of the woman would take up no more space than a JPG 'image' would take in the memory of a computer. No additional mass would be required, no volume would be required, etc. But still, the process would be a physical process just as the sequence of 0's and 1's in the RAM of a computer is physical, but takes up no volume nor does it have mass.

And we can push the analogy further. The brain processes information. The thoughts and emotions we experience are a type of information. And information, as shown on computers, need not take up the space of what it refers to. So, you are making a category error here: thinking the image has to have the same properties as the referent.

3) Our own conscious experience is the one thing we know directly, and everything else we know of depends on us being conscious beings. This includes matter. So to reduce consciousness to matter reduces the one thing we know with certainty to something that we know through it. This is unreasonable.

This is a matter of epistemology, not ontology. It is how we come to know things, not necessarily what they are. Yes, our brains aquire information through limited means: through our senses and the processing of that sensory data. And since 'we' are a process in a particular brain, 'we' are limited to the information available to that brain.

So, the reason for the reduction is a limitation of how we acquire information about the universe, not a limitation of the universe itself.

4) Things like cognitive science prove the mind can override the brain. Self-regulation, internal coping skills, bio-feedback, meditation – all are conscious and willful acts that override the material body. This can be seen such as in a depression patient recognizing a depressed episode coming on and using skills like Self-talk and meditation to keep the episode at bay. This is scientific fact, and once you remove willful engagement from therapy it becomes ineffective. Further, and good psychiatrist will also recommend counseling or various therapies along with the physiology-altering drugs.

These have been shown to work by changing the way the brain processes information. The brain is not a static organ. Things such as biofeedback can and do change the circuitry of the brain and that is why such techniques work to help with the conditions you mention. Again, the changes are physical changes, even when accomplished via feedback and counseling.

5) The mind is actually capable of manipulating nature, even changing it to suit its will. One example of this is in architecture, where complex buildings are created in the mind and then transferred into the objective material universe. Movies or music are another good example as they exist as ideas before they even become “reality”. Medication is another example where we literally change the nature of substances in order to affect our health, such as manipulating the flu to make yearly flu-shots.

And yet, whenever we 'change' nature, we do so through the laws of nature. We cannot build building that violate the physical laws: when we try, the building collapse. Medicines work through the physical, chemical nature of the medicines and the biochemistry of our bodies and minds.

6) Materialism also relies on the faith in future discovery. “Maybe one day we will find the mechanism that makes consciousness.” “Maybe one day we will explain how the subjective arises from the objective”. And maybe not. This is blind faith and nothing more.

Are there things we have not explained? Yes, of course. And so *any* understanding is based on hoped for future discoveries.

But the track record of physicalism in solving previously difficult problems, from disease (bacteria, not malicious spirits), to the composition of stars (not some fifth substance, but the same sorts of elements that we find here on Earth), to healing even mental issues through medicines that work on specific types of neurons shows that it is an effective working hypothesis.

7) The Upper Paleolithic Revolution was an event in human history that saw the species leap from “just another animal” to a species with higher consciousness. This led to the creation of art, religion, the rise of individuality, the creation of languages, the formations of societies, etc. Everything that let human beings become the dominant species on this planet occurred during the UPR. However, we had already existed as an evolved species for tens of thousands of years before the UPR. Further, this changes seems to have affected the species as a whole over a relatively short amount of time, rather than through the longer-term genetic changes we see with evolution. On top of this, the consciousness that it produced, as we have been discussing, had not only different properties from the natural world but was able to question, manipulate, and go against it. This again shows that consciousness is entirely different from the material world and how it functions.

Sorry, but his is outdated information. We have continuous information through the supposed 'break' that shows all cultural change to be gradual:
78,000-year cave record from East Africa shows early cultural innovations

8 ) Absurdity – in short, materialism leads to philosophical absurdity any way you look at it. For example it pretends to be a skeptical position but relies on the senses and puts what we know aside for what we know through it. This is the exact opposite of skepticism, and skepticism and materialism are mutually exclusive.

On the contrary, it is the dualist position that leads to absurdities by putting aside what we know: the physical world, for what we cannot know: anything non-physical. ALL the evidence is that consciousness is a physical *process* (not a thing).

Yet another absurd reduction of materialism is again found in the single piece of evidence that doing things to the brain affects consciousness. Sure, maybe this means that materialism is true, but there is no other evidence that materialism is true! It would be like saying “well MAYBE magic leprechauns are the cause of gravity.” Sure that could theoretically explain it, but is that really the most rational way to go about it?

Funny, it is the dualist position that consciousness is not physical that seems closest to the leprechaun theory here. We can point to specific areas of the brain that do things, but instead you suggest a leprechaun of a non-material consciousness with no way to test it.

9) Finally, materialism is dangerous. For example we can look at mental and behavioral health and how those are treated. For instance, any good doctor who prescribes medication to address the physiological side of mental illness will also recommend therapy to address the mental side. As talked about above, without willful engagement in such therapy interventions no changes can occur. It would be dangerous to address only the physiological and not the mental aspects of these illnesses. Further, belief that individuals are deterministic machines with no control over their lives would make any kind of mental/behavioral healthwork impossible. Imagine a counselor telling a client to just say “**** it” because they have no control over their problems anyways!

And why would a materialist say such a silly thing? We know that both counseling and medication can both affect brain functioning, with both having different specializations in that treatment. it seems more dangerous to deny the physical aspect of consciousness and insist that any defect is a problem of personality as opposed to something that can be fixed.

atanu

Premium Member
Materialism is best suited for those of us living in the material world.
If one lives elsewhere, I can understand a different choice.

You get so many like points not because you are a material. But because you are a witty material. Ha. Ha. Do you consider yourself a material?

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You've still offered no coherent explanation of how you determine what is true and what is not.
Actually, I did, earlier.
Please illustrate your reply with a worked-through example.

How do you do so?
Please describe in sufficient detail the kind of knowing that you yourself use.

I already did. That is sufficicient detail, and, you used the wrong word. The word is belief, which can either be evidenced, or not.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That is part of it, however reality is also our own perception of not only the outside reality, but our proclivities and also, unevidenced beliefs.

Pertaining to materialism, my perception has a lot of non materialism /classic materialism/, inference.

I have a thread somewhere, titled "Pink flamingos prove creationism", in that thread, argumentation for non creationism is based on complete speculation. There is no evidence for it, only suspicion, and theories.

Materialism must be evidenced by materialism, and it simply isn't. No reason to believe it, and it's highly unlikely, by odds, / odds of Creationism are higher than materialism, which is discussed in that thread.

Reality says non materialism.
^
Example given in this post.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, I did, earlier.
Then please rephrase it, because in search of clarity I re-read what you'd posted and found it no help to understanding.
I already did. That is sufficicient detail, and, you used the wrong word. The word is belief, which can either be evidenced, or not.
Do I understand you to argue that whatever you choose to believe is thereby objectively true? If so, that's so easily refuted (reduced to meaninglessness) as not to be worth worrying about.

By that I mean that at least my understanding of 'truth' offers an objective verification.

I hope I've misunderstood you and await your clarification.

atanu

Premium Member
What is materialism? It is known as other things like material reductionism and physicalism among others. It is the view that only one substance exists – matter – and that all reduces to matter. This is a faith-based position that is spreading wildly through the West as a reaction to oppressive Western religions. It is philosophically unsound and has no supporting evidence. Let at look at this.

1) The “evidence” for materialism is that doing something to the brain effects how consciousness comes through. Take a drug or a hammer to your head and you may start slurring, seeing things, hearing things, stumbling, etc. This is not evidence of materialism because it is also expected in more supported positions such as dualism and idealism, as we will see. It is the only support that materialism has presented thus far in its favor and it does not even actually suggest materialism itself. We will look at this more below.

2) The Law of Identity is the most basic and foundational law of logic and states that things with different properties cannot be identical – “A is A and not Non-A”. The material and conscious worlds have entirely different properties, including but not limited to (respectively); being spacial vs. not taking up space, being objective and being subjective, being universally accessible and being wholly private, and many more. We can illustrate this by looking at a brain, having others see it as well, and measuring the space taken up by the brain. Now imagine your fantasy man/woman standing in the room before you. Does she take up space? Can others see her? Are the traits that make her “perfect” objective? Of course not, because matter and consciousness have different properties, and so thinking matter causes the mind is a violation of the most basic logic.

3) Our own conscious experience is the one thing we know directly, and everything else we know of depends on us being conscious beings. This includes matter. So to reduce consciousness to matter reduces the one thing we know with certainty to something that we know through it. This is unreasonable.

4) Things like cognitive science prove the mind can override the brain. Self-regulation, internal coping skills, bio-feedback, meditation – all are conscious and willful acts that override the material body. This can be seen such as in a depression patient recognizing a depressed episode coming on and using skills like Self-talk and meditation to keep the episode at bay. This is scientific fact, and once you remove willful engagement from therapy it becomes ineffective. Further, and good psychiatrist will also recommend counseling or various therapies along with the physiology-altering drugs.

5) The mind is actually capable of manipulating nature, even changing it to suit its will. One example of this is in architecture, where complex buildings are created in the mind and then transferred into the objective material universe. Movies or music are another good example as they exist as ideas before they even become “reality”. Medication is another example where we literally change the nature of substances in order to affect our health, such as manipulating the flu to make yearly flu-shots.

6) Materialism also relies on the faith in future discovery. “Maybe one day we will find the mechanism that makes consciousness.” “Maybe one day we will explain how the subjective arises from the objective”. And maybe not. This is blind faith and nothing more.

7) The Upper Paleolithic Revolution was an event in human history that saw the species leap from “just another animal” to a species with higher consciousness. This led to the creation of art, religion, the rise of individuality, the creation of languages, the formations of societies, etc. Everything that let human beings become the dominant species on this planet occurred during the UPR. However, we had already existed as an evolved species for tens of thousands of years before the UPR. Further, this changes seems to have affected the species as a whole over a relatively short amount of time, rather than through the longer-term genetic changes we see with evolution. On top of this, the consciousness that it produced, as we have been discussing, had not only different properties from the natural world but was able to question, manipulate, and go against it. This again shows that consciousness is entirely different from the material world and how it functions.

8 ) Absurdity – in short, materialism leads to philosophical absurdity any way you look at it. For example it pretends to be a skeptical position but relies on the senses and puts what we know aside for what we know through it. This is the exact opposite of skepticism, and skepticism and materialism are mutually exclusive.

Further absurdity is that the only “evidence” for materialism amounts to nothing more than correlations – we may as well also accept the pastafarian position that the decline in pirates causes global warming!

Metaphors that materialism tries to create reduce to absurdity – for example they will say “mind” is what the brain does like “running” is what feet do, that “mind” and “running” have the same properties. Does running not take up space, can it not be seen, heard, felt? Another example is that water is not identical to the atoms which create it, similar to the mind and brain. Yet are both atoms and water not spacial, objective, universally accessible?

Yet another absurd reduction of materialism is again found in the single piece of evidence that doing things to the brain affects consciousness. Sure, maybe this means that materialism is true, but there is no other evidence that materialism is true! It would be like saying “well MAYBE magic leprechauns are the cause of gravity.” Sure that could theoretically explain it, but is that really the most rational way to go about it?

9) Finally, materialism is dangerous. For example we can look at mental and behavioral health and how those are treated. For instance, any good doctor who prescribes medication to address the physiological side of mental illness will also recommend therapy to address the mental side. As talked about above, without willful engagement in such therapy interventions no changes can occur. It would be dangerous to address only the physiological and not the mental aspects of these illnesses. Further, belief that individuals are deterministic machines with no control over their lives would make any kind of mental/behavioral healthwork impossible. Imagine a counselor telling a client to just say “**** it” because they have no control over their problems anyways!

It can also prove dangerous in other aspects of life. The best example of this to date is the Life-Fields of Dr. Harold Burr out of Yale University. Along with dozens of other scientists over decades of time Dr. Burr and company scientifically proved that L-Fields act as blueprints to all physical life. Measurements of these fields could predict cancer, disease, infection, depression, ovulation, prime times of learning information, and much more. But because the findings of Burr, Ravitz, etc. convinced them not only of a creator but of mind/body dualism, teleology of life, and a model to replace materialism, it was inherently written off as pseudo-science by the religion of materialism. Ironically, in the modern day Electric Universe theory is looking promising towards replacing that non-science “science” which has overrun physics, and the hypothesis is currently being tested. We will have to see how materialism reacts to this.

SUMMARY / TLDR

Materialism does not have evidence that supports it specifically and relies on faith in future discovery, it violates the Law of Identity, it puts what we know (consciousness) under what we know through it (matter), the abilities of consciousness go against the material world, consciousness can manipulate and change the material world, what we know about the rise of consciousness doesn’t fit with materialistic evolution as we know it, materialism reduces to absurdity, and materialism is a dangerous faith that puts its own beliefs over objective knowledge which could benefit human beings.

A good post. We have arrived at a stage when we cannot define 'matter'. Materialism must first define what is matter.

atanu

Premium Member

Further absurdity is that the only “evidence” for materialism amounts to nothing more than correlations – we may as well also accept the pastafarian position that the decline in pirates causes global warming!

Metaphors that materialism tries to create reduce to absurdity – for example they will say “mind” is what the brain does like “running” is what feet do, that “mind” and “running” have the same properties. Does running not take up space, can it not be seen, heard, felt? Another example is that water is not identical to the atoms which create it, similar to the mind and brain. Yet are both atoms and water not spacial, objective, universally accessible?

It can also prove dangerous in other aspects of life. The best example of this to date is the Life-Fields of Dr. Harold Burr out of Yale University. Along with dozens of other scientists over decades of time Dr. Burr and company scientifically proved that L-Fields act as blueprints to all physical life. Measurements of these fields could predict cancer, disease, infection, depression, ovulation, prime times of learning information, and much more. But because the findings of Burr, Ravitz, etc. convinced them not only of a creator but of mind/body dualism, teleology of life, and a model to replace materialism, it was inherently written off as pseudo-science by the religion of materialism. Ironically, in the modern day Electric Universe theory is looking promising towards replacing that non-science “science” which has overrun physics, and the hypothesis is currently being tested. We will have to see how materialism reacts to this.

SUMMARY / TLDR

Materialism does not have evidence that supports it specifically and relies on faith in future discovery, it violates the Law of Identity, it puts what we know (consciousness) under what we know through it (matter), the abilities of consciousness go against the material world, consciousness can manipulate and change the material world, what we know about the rise of consciousness doesn’t fit with materialistic evolution as we know it, materialism reduces to absurdity, and materialism is a dangerous faith that puts its own beliefs over objective knowledge which could benefit human beings.

Something of "I am" continues in a person throughout life. What is that material?