• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$9,000 benefit for COVID funerals

ecco

Veteran Member
The Federal Government, through FEMA, will pay up to $9,000 to cover funeral expenses for people who died of COVID.

As of today, there are 595,000 people listed as having died from COVID.

$9000
x
595,000 (includes eligible non-citizens)

W T F !

I'm a progressive liberal, but this is going too far.

If I died of cancer, my family gets nothing. If I died from Covid, my family gets $9,000. This is insanity.

Apparently, FEMA has previously paid out funeral expenses for people who died in hurricanes, floods, fires, etc.

The only good thing is that there is a lot of red tape involved. COVID must be shown on the death certificate as the cause of death. Some states do not list a cause of death on death certificates.

Regardless.

IMHO this is outrageous.

Your thoughts?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Uhhhh...

giphy.gif

D035 n0t c0mpu73.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
It.makes.sense.to.me.
Politicians.who.give.away.money.gain.power.
Covid.is.in.the.public's.eye,so.its.victims.get.money.

BTW,though.I.find.this.understandable,it's.wasteful.pandering.

Yah... This might be one of those attempts at pandering that backfires. Seems outa touch to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only caveat is that they don't have that power over those who are left out or don't get any money. Their opponents gain the power.
That.is.indeed.a.risk.
They.must.calculate.whether.there's.a.net.gain.or.loss.
Too.bad.that.it's.not.about.what.is.the.highest.&.best.
use.for.the.money,eh.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The Federal Government, through FEMA, will pay up to $9,000 to cover funeral expenses for people who died of COVID.

$9000
x

W T F !

If I died of cancer, my family gets nothing. If I died from Covid, my family gets $9,000. This is insanity.

Apparently, FEMA has previously paid out funeral expenses for people who died in hurricanes, floods, fires, etc.

The only good thing is that there is a lot of red tape involved. COVID must be shown on the death certificate as the cause of death. Some states do not list a cause of death on death certificates.

Regardless.

IMHO this is outrageous.

Your thoughts?
links?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

$9000
x

W T F !

Regardless.

IMHO this is outrageous.

Your thoughts?
It shows just how politicized Covid has become and yet another reason to not to trust anything they say on the matter.

I can see a Covid foundation or something made to help research and more effective cures. Like the Diabetes or Cancer foundation. That would be the smart route, but it's clear not to expect it from today's leadership.

They would rather weaponize Covid for political brownie points over something more decent and useful.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That.is.indeed.a.risk.
use.for.the.money,eh.
Why are all you posts showing full stops/periods instead of gaps between words? Or is it just on my computer?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That.is.indeed.a.risk.
use.for.the.money,eh.

Politicians, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

$9000
x

W T F !

Regardless.

IMHO this is outrageous.

Your thoughts?
I think it actually does make sense. A lot of the people who died due to Covid died as a direct consequence of the American government's handling of the pandemic, so it makes sense that the hundreds of thousands of families should see at the very least some kind of financial assistance in dealing with the funeral expenses. If anything, I think it's probably the least they could do. These are exceptional circumstances.

That being said, I think just giving $9k to families to cover the expenses may not be the best way to do it. Perhaps there should be some kind of scheme that the government can negotiate with funeral homes to provide cut-price services in return for some kind of incentive? I dunno. I'm not an economics policy guy, but it makes sense to me that if the government wanted to feed a whole lot of people, they wouldn't just give everyone $20. They would get some chefs and suppliers together, incentivize them to produce a load of food at a cheaper rate, pay for the food, then ensure the food gets to people.

Or, am I talking crap?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why are all you posts showing full stops/periods instead of gaps between words? Or is it just on my computer?
Space.bar.is....
on the fritz
New.keyboard.is.on.order.

Big.problem....spell.check.(on.which.I.depend).not.werking.cuz.of.these.periods.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
So let me get this straight, the American government is finally paying out reparations to make up for its catastrophic handling of the pandemic last year, and you guys are angry about this?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So let me get this straight, the American government is finally paying out reparations to make up for its catastrophic handling of the pandemic last year, and you guys are angry about this?
- This is not reparations.
- Government has already been paying unemployment
benefits, & providing loans.
- A funeral needn't cost $9,000.
- There are better uses for the money than enriching the funeral industrial complex.

ecco

Veteran Member
That would be the smart route, but it's clear not to expect it from today's leadership.
Not necessarily "today's leadership". It seems FEMA has been paying for disaster-related funerals since at least the Bush era.

Chief coroner warns of more FEMA waste on funeral overpayments
By SALLY KESTIN AND MEGAN O'MATZ
STAFF WRITERS |
AUG 12, 2005 AT 3:00 AM
Despite assurances from federal officials that they will change the way they award disaster funeral assistance, taxpayer money will likely still be wasted, Florida's chief medical examiner predicted Thursday.

After last year's hurricanes, the Federal Emergency Management Agency paid funeral expenses for more than 200 Floridians who died of cancer, AIDS, heart disease and other causes that had nothing to do with the storms, medical examiners found. FEMA announced a new policy last week tightening up some of its procedures but continues to allow family doctors to link deaths to a disaster.
A little more research found this...
https://training.fema.gov/emiweb/downloads/is7unit_3.pdf
To understand the role of the Federal government in disaster relief, it is worthwhile to briefly review the history of its involvement. During the period from 1803 to 1950, Congress passed 128 separate laws dealing with disaster relief. Because there was no comprehensive legislation covering disaster relief, Congress had to pass a separate law to provide Federal funds for each major disaster that occurred. The system was a cumbersome one.​
Feel free to dig through it at your leisure.

However, I do understand your need to try to blame "today's leadership".

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes. If you do some digging you will find that the program, like all massive Federal programs, is poorly devised and administered.

If you want to talk about "reparations", the people who really deserve getting financial assistance are the men and women we sent into combat zones who came back with missing limbs and PTSD - or never came back at all.