• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

89k per year drug?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
"thanks to Obama"?

I was completely unaware that Obama set the prices for drugs.
Source please.

Mandatory health care.. is Obama's doing. Everybody must pay their fair share, Obama said. Now you see what you're paying a share of...

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Mandatory health care.. is Obama's doing. Everybody must pay their fair share, Obama said. Now you see what you're paying a share of...
WTF does the ACA have to do with Marathon Pharmaceuticals setting the price at $89,000 or so a year?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The ACA forces everybody to pay their "fair share".
what does that have to do with Marathon Pharmaceuticals setting the price at $89,000 or so a year?
Are you claiming that the ACA makes/requires/forces Marathon Pharmaceuticals set the price at $89,000 or so a year?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The ACA forces everybody to pay their "fair share".
Nothing about the ACA is making people pay 89K for the drug. I'm not sure if you understand how our health insurance works, because we usually pay a monthly free and sometimes a copay (paying a much smaller amount than the full bill, such as $25 instead of $89,000) for doctors visits and medications, and unless a doctor is outside of the insurance's network, a treatment experimental, or just not covered, you don't pay these high rates if you have insurance. If you don't, well, that is why we have medical bankruptcy.
Not that I'm supporting this system, but really it is partially because of insurance companies that prices are so high, whereas the ACA doesn't address such prices.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Nothing about the ACA is making people pay 89K for the drug. I'm not sure if you understand how our health insurance works, because we usually pay a monthly free and sometimes a copay (paying a much smaller amount than the full bill, such as $25 instead of $89,000) for doctors visits and medications, and unless a doctor is outside of the insurance's network, a treatment experimental, or just not covered, you don't pay these high rates if you have insurance. If you don't, well, that is why we have medical bankruptcy.
Not that I'm supporting this system, but really it is partially because of insurance companies that prices are so high, whereas the ACA doesn't address such prices.

I think people must forget whose money the insurance companies money is. Insurance is when a group of people pool their money together. It's as good as a banking scam because the whole thing revolves around there not being a run on the bank. Obama made sure everybody takes part in the scam.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think people must forget whose money the insurance companies money is. Insurance is when a group of people pool their money together. It's as good as a banking scam because the whole thing revolves around there not being a run on the bank. Obama made sure everybody takes part in the scam.
The ACA has nothing to do with price setting, and in Holland, where they pioneered the health care system the ACA is based on, they have the same individual mandate without these prices.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Pharmaceutical companies don't make medicine cheaper for those without insurance. The pharma makes the same amount of money regardless of if it's out of pocket or via insurance.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Pharmaceutical companies don't make medicine cheaper for those without insurance. The pharma makes the same amount of money regardless of if it's out of pocket or via insurance.

No not really, They rely on very deep pockets that only an insurance pool would have when charging 89k for a drug. It's like everybody putting their money in a bank, it attracts robbers, except they do it legally.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The ACA has nothing to do with price setting, and in Holland, where they pioneered the health care system the ACA is based on, they have the same individual mandate without these prices.

You just don't get it, the ACA makes it impossible for people to say no, to boycott the system, at least not without taking a penalty.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You just don't get it, the ACA makes it impossible for people to say no, to boycott the system, at least not without taking a penalty.
But that has nothing to do with pharmaceutical companies jacking their prices up to outrageous heights. But everywhere else drugs are cheaper. But everywhere else doesn't have pharmaceutical companies all over the place telling you to ask your doctor about their pills. The ACA has nothing to do with that either. The jack wad that made healines recently for jacking the price of a drug he recently acquired to a level far beyond unreasonable didn't say it was the ACA, he said it was just a business move to make profits.

David1967

Premium Member
what does that have to do with Marathon Pharmaceuticals setting the price at $89,000 or so a year?
Are you claiming that the ACA makes/requires/forces Marathon Pharmaceuticals set the price at $89,000 or so a year?

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I was told yesterday that this same drug in the UK was only 1400.00 a year.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No not really, They rely on very deep pockets that only an insurance pool would have when charging 89k for a drug. It's like everybody putting their money in a bank, it attracts robbers, except they do it legally.
No they don't, as its been pointed out to you many times, plenty of places with mandatory health insurance don't have this problem with pharmaceutical extreme venture capitalism. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I was told yesterday that this same drug in the UK was only 1400.00 a year.
It's probably true; maybe not the amount but it is very probably that there is a huge discrepancy between the American price compared to the UK price. My meds here, there American price is about $500 a month; my overseas prices are such that coughing up $500 at once would get me about a 10 month supply.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
No they don't, as its been pointed out to you many times, plenty of places with mandatory health insurance don't have this problem with pharmaceutical extreme venture capitalism. You're barking up the wrong tree.

It's worse here because mandatory health insurance does not fit with free enterprise. ACA makes it mandatory for us to pay while free enterprise capitalism makes it optional for them to jack the prices up as high as they think they can get.