• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

85% of Americans have been living with "Obamacare" for 3 years

The main pillars of "Obamacare" for those 85% of Americans who already have insurance, whether they realize it or not, are: insurers must offer free preventive care, no lifetime maximums, no prescription maximums, can't kick off dependents until age 26, guaranteed coverage for 10 "essential" benefits.

This has been in effect since 2010.

Has the world ended?

Awoon

The main pillars of "Obamacare" for those 85% of Americans who already have insurance, whether they realize it or not, are: insurers must offer free preventive care, no lifetime maximums, no prescription maximums, can't kick off dependents until age 26, guaranteed coverage for 10 "essential" benefits.

Has the world ended?

Nope. I just don't understand why some people are against people paying for their own health care. I know people who haven't bought health ins for themselves, but go to ERs, Drs. and get free health care for themselves for years. But they have money sit in bars, buy cars and run the streets. Time to pay a little.

esmith

Veteran Member

Has the world ended?

Well let's look at a of your "facts"
You say that there is guaranteed coverage for 10 "essential" benefits. You are wrong, why don't you get the truth prior to making such misleading statements. From THE FACTS
If you are covered by a plan that existed March 23, 2010, your plan may be "grandfathered." You may not get some rights and protections that other plans offer. Grandfathered plans are those that were in existence on March 23, 2010 and have stayed basically the same. But they can enroll people after that date and still maintain their grandfathered status. In other words, even if you joined a grandfathered plan after March 23, 2010, the plan may still be grandfathered. The status depends on when the plan was created, not when you joined it.

Well let's look at a of your "facts"
You say that there is guaranteed coverage for 10 "essential" benefits. You are wrong, why don't you get the truth prior to making such misleading statements. From THE FACTS
Yes, I failed to account for grandfathered plans. More than one-third of Americans who get their plans through their jobs are on grandfathered plans (source), therefore, the figure is closer to 60% instead of 85%.

So most Americans have had "Obamacare" for 3 years.

Again: has the world ended?

esmith

Veteran Member
Yes, I failed to account for grandfathered plans. More than one-third of Americans who get their plans through their jobs are on grandfathered plans (source), therefore, the figure is closer to 60% instead of 85%.

So most Americans have had "Obamacare" for 3 years.

Again: has the world ended?

How about those that have purchased "grandfathered" plans. Add those to plans to those that get their insurance through their jobs and what do you get? You are spinning again...you are going to get dizzy.

And to your point "Again: has the world ended?" I don't think Obama has any influence over the world. As a matter of fact it seems that he is loosing influence and respect throughout most of the world

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Republicans used scare tactics when they fought Social Security and Medicare, so some things never change. They well know that if the ACA survives its first year, it's as good as gold from that point on even though there'll undoubtedly be some adjustments along the way.

How about those that have purchased "grandfathered" plans. Add those to plans to those that get their insurance through their jobs and what do you get?
As I said:

How many people are enrolled in grandfathered plans?

In 2013, 36 percent of those who get coverage through their jobs are enrolled in a grandfathered health plan, down from 48 percent in 2012 and 56 percent in 2011, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation's most recent Employer Health Benefits Survey. (KHN is an editorially-independent program of KFF.)
FAQ: Grandfathered Health Plans - Kaiser Health News

About 85% of Americans have insurance. Some of them get insurance through Medicaid/Medicare, which complies with Obamacare. Most of the rest get insurance through their employer, and 36% of them are grandfathered. Even if we generously assume that everyone in the 85% has an employer plan, that means 36% of the 85% is grandfathered, leaving us with 54% who have insurance that is not grandfathered. The actual figure is of course larger than that since we neglected the significant slice of people with Medicaid/Medicare, which is also not grandfathered.

Ergo, no matter how you slice it, most Americans have Obamacare.

It looks like the world is still here to me; is there still a world where you are?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The Republicans used scare tactics when they fought Social Security and Medicare, so some things never change. They well know that if the ACA survives its first year, it's as good as gold from that point on even though there'll undoubtedly be some adjustments along the way.

They sure did. The same ones in the hearing the other day grilling contractors said this back in the day about Medicare Part D that they passed and endorsed...

REP. JOE BARTON (R-TX): “This is a huge undertaking and there are going to be glitches. My goal is the same as yours: Get rid of the glitches. The committee will work closely with yourself and Dr. Mark McClellan at CMS to get problems noticed and solved.” [Barton Statement via Archive.org, 2/15/2006]
REP. TIM MURPHY (R-PA): “Any time something is new, there is going to be some glitches. All of us, when our children were new, well, we knew as parents we didn’t exactly know everything we were doing and we had a foul-up or two, but we persevered and our children turned out well. No matter what one does in life, when it is something new in learning the ropes of it, it is going to take a little adjustment.” [Murphy Floor Speech via Congressional Record, 4/6/2006]
REP. PHIL GINGREY (R-GA): “I delivered 5,200 babies, but this may be the best delivery that I have ever been a part of, Mr. Speaker, and that is delivering, as I say, on a promise made by former Congresses and other Presidents over the 45-year history of the Medicare program, which was introduced in 1965 with no prescription drug benefit. And what we have done here is add part D, the ‘D’ for ‘drug’ or, if you want, the ‘delivery’ that we have finally provided to our American seniors.” [Gingrey Floor Speech via Congressional Record, 4/6/06]
:confused:

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
My union health care plan was changed to comply (they did say they were applying for a waiver for the maximum payout, but ended up changing it anyway), and we've been fine.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
My union health care plan was changed to comply (they did say they were applying for a waiver for the maximum payout, but ended up changing it anyway), and we've been fine.

Over the past couple years I received the letters about my kids staying on until they were 26. Other than that I don't believe I've received anything else. My plan stayed the same...

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Over the past couple years I received the letters about my kids staying on until they were 26. Other than that I don't believe I've received anything else. My plan stayed the same...

Most of ours was already inline with the law. The major changes were in the areas of out-of-pocket expense and yearly/ lifetime maximum pay-outs. But it still ****** me off that mental health and vaccinations are not covered under the plan.

Oh well.

Most of ours was already inline with the law. The major changes were in the areas of out-of-pocket expense and yearly/ lifetime maximum pay-outs. But it still ****** me off that mental health and vaccinations are not covered under the plan.

Oh well.
Are you talking about non-routine immunizations? Routine immunizations are required to be covered and free of charge under the ACA:

II. ROUTINE IMMUNIZATIONS
Health plans must also provide coverage without cost-sharing for
immunizations that are recommended and determined to be for routine

use by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, a federal
entity comprised of immunization experts. These guidelines require
coverage of immunizations for influenza, meningitis, tetanus, HPV,
hepatitis A and B, measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella.
Source (PDF): http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/8219.pdf

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Well, then I guess I haven't been living with Obamacare. We have to pay for all vaccinations, including those required for our children to attend school, completely out of pocket under our plan.
Hm it sounds like you are in the 36% of people with job-based coverage that is being "grandfathered in", i.e., it is not yet required to be fully compliant ... ?

dust1n

Zindīq
Nope. I just don't understand why some people are against people paying for their own health care. I know people who haven't bought health ins for themselves, but go to ERs, Drs. and get free health care for themselves for years. But they have money sit in bars, buy cars and run the streets. Time to pay a little.

I'm glad your anecdotes don't apply to people like me at all, but we must pay for the perceptions of anecdotal experiences.