• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

75 years ago today

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
September 2, 1945 was the date WW2 officially ended, with the formal Japanese surrender to the Allies.

Surrender of Japan - Wikipedia

Mamoru_Shigemitsu_signs_the_Instrument_of_Surrender%2C_officially_ending_the_Second_World_War_-_Original.jpg

Surrender_of_Japan_-_USS_Missouri.jpg

I had an uncle who was a Marine in the Pacific Theater. He would have been part of the invasion force against Japan if the atomic bombs had not ended the war.

pearl

My uncle was in the Navy and survived Pearl. There remain pros and cons as to whether the 'bomb' ought to have been dripped at all.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My uncle was in the Navy and survived Pearl. There remain pros and cons as to whether the 'bomb' ought to have been dripped at all.

Kind of a moot point now. They were dropped; Japan surrendered; up to a million American and Ally lives were not sacrificed; no other atomic or nuclear weapon has ever been used since then; end of story.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, I've seen both the pros and cons discussed about whether the bombs should have been used. I think it would largely depend on how much the Allies wanted unconditional surrender. If unconditional surrender was the only term they would accept, then they were faced with an all-out invasion of Japan or dropping the atomic bombs.

Onoma

What a brutal war

My grandpa flew 33 missions with the 384th bomb group - 544th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), out of Grafton Underwood, England (Station 106) , 1943-1945

384th.PNG

..I just couldn't even imagine what it was like...

pearl

Yes, I've seen both the pros and cons discussed about whether the bombs should have been used. I think it would largely depend on how much the Allies wanted unconditional surrender. If unconditional surrender was the only term they would accept, then they were faced with an all-out invasion of Japan or dropping the atomic bombs.

I think its agreed that it shortened the war and saved many lives. However, there was a high cost of civilian life, would one bomb have brought the same result? Nothing like hindsight.

Kind of a moot point now. They were dropped; Japan surrendered; up to a million American and Ally lives were not sacrificed; no other atomic or nuclear weapon has ever been used since then; end of story.

Hope its the end of story, with today's proliferation, who knows.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think its agreed that it shortened the war and saved many lives. However, there was a high cost of civilian life, would one bomb have brought the same result? Nothing like hindsight.

Hope its the end of story, with today's proliferation, who knows.

It's the end of WWII story. Any debate is pure conjecture.

Tambourine

The bizarre thing that always trips me up is that the demand that had the Japanese refuse to surrender initially (removing the Tenno) wasn't even followed through anyway in the end. Although the latter may well have been MacArthur's doing.