• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

68th Pontiff of Kanchi Mutt, saint 'Mahaperiyava'

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
His name is very popular down South Indian, especially in Tamil Nadu.

A saint who lived and exemplified sheer tapas, performed countless miracles of high order and whose legend continues to this day, and forever perhaps, since his entry into Kanchi Mutt as its Pontiff, when he was merely a 13-yr old boy.

Even though I'm Vaishanvite, I am drawn to this saint who was actually a Smarta but adviced Vishnu worship on many occasions (which is meant to say he was without barriers).

The saint performed 'Chandramouleeshwara Puja' throughout his life. I believe Kanchi Mutt is in possession of the said Chandramouleeswara lingam currently.

If you would only google, you can read countless number of miracles he performed. I'm particularly drawn to instances like when he donated an empty pitcher to a very poor woman, and water, when poured into, change to oil. And also numerous instances of his donation of small fruits and vegetables, or garlands, that fixed major health issues. And when his darshan made the mute speak. The instances are countless.

I perform puja every Thursday to this saint, on top of my everyday worship of Krishna. The puja involves offering to a picture of the saint, a garland of 108 soaked (uncooked) chickpeas, some fruits, archana with 108 namavali and a circumambulation for 108 rounds, around his picture - takes just about an hour, in all.

The said puja is famously performed on 9 consecutive Thursdays ( a miss due to unavoidable reasons is ok, in between). But I have decided to perform it always.

There is a person in Chennai, India, who is contacted with personal details via email, who, on communication with the saint, offers guidance, permission from the saint to perform his puja and follows up free of cost.

Thought this info might be useful to some!