• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

666 nautical miles between the Kaaba and Jerusalem

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I see that the thread I walked way from is still drawing hits

Is there one of you who has studied mathematical astronomy in Mesopotamia ?

I didn't find anybody here the last time I was around
You almost make it sound like the OP offered a meaningful observation.

Onoma

So many wows, I gosh a lot, so much intimidation and wrinkled feels

So, anyway

Even such a basic source as Wikipedia clearly states

" As one degree is 1360 of a circle, one minute of arc is 121600 of a circle (or, in radians, π10800). These sexagesimal (base 60) units originated in Babylonian astronomy. Gunter used Snell's circumference to define a nautical mile as 6,080 feet, the length of one minute of arc at 48 degrees latitude.

Nautical mile - Wikipedia "

The reason being that they inherited these mathematical conventions from who ?

The Sumerians, thank you very much

ic8rdg.jpg

yeah, " astronomy " and arc seconds / minutes and nautical miles

The folly { GASP! }

What was it Abraham supposedly studied in Ur, where the renowned Chaldean astronomers taught astronomy ?

Starts with an " a " but it slips my mind even though it's staring me in the face

Well, geewillikers

b9is87.jpg

Mind you, this is a rather simplistic discussion thus far, how about we ramp it up a bit ?

:)

Skwim

Veteran Member
FWIW

On the WGS-84 (World Geodetic System 1984) ellipsoid whose meridional ellipse has an ellipticity of 0.081819191 "...the distance from the equator to pole is

10,001,965.729m [10,002 km]

source

Onoma

Looks like you ran out of gas on this one too

Still weren't able to refute me

nope.gif

You know why ?

Because I know these topics better than all of you combined

lijpc.jpg

Now, I just included some examples of the mathematical notations used in the Gilgamesh Epic because they are specifically for astronomy and were adopted from Sumerian conventions, but if you haven't actually studied the ancient texts like the Gilgamesh Epic, you are probably unaware that they are astronomical texts { See my thread on the Flood Epics for more discussion }

Anybody want to seriously debate Mesopotamian mathematical texts and notations ?

Interesting what Synchros pop up though, lol.

Welcome to RF btw.

93 93/93 sister!

Thank you. You guys might find this paper interesting.

93 93/93.

A Mesopotamian background for the so-called aggadic "measures" of biblical hermeneutics? by Stephen J. Lieberman.

Abstract
Five of the 'measures' (מדות) which the Midrash distinguishes in its interpretation of Scripture are expounded. Cuneiform analogues of each are cited, and the Rabbinic techniques known as noṭariqon (which takes a word as an abbreviation of a phrase) and gemaṭriah (interpretation by manipulating the numeric values of the letters of a written word) are treated at length. These two devices were known in cuneiform hermeneutics from eighth-seventh century B.C.E. Assyria, where numerological manipulation was called arû. Some constitutive uses of these devices in ancient Mesopotamia and in later Jewish writings are surveyed and analogues in other cultures are mentioned. This paper delineates the activities of Nabû-zuqup-kēna (ca. 760–680 B.C.E.), in whose library tablets using such hermeneutics are first attested, and the position of ummânu 'master' which his ancestors and descendants held in the Assyrian court is noted. The implications for biblical interpretation of the use of these methods in Mesopotamia at such an early date, before the completion of the Hebrew Bible, are broached. The question of the Near Eastern contribution to Hellenistic civilization is raised in the light of the cuneiform antecedents for these techniques whose Hebrew names are Greek and Latin in origin. It is noted that analysis distorts ancient hermeneutics.