• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

666 nautical miles between the Kaaba and Jerusalem

peacecrusader888

Wasn't there a discovery a few years ago of a fragment of Revelations with 616? And this manuscript/fragment is the oldest one? Then 666 has no meaning.

I believe that what is stated in the book of Revelation is 666, not 616. It is spelled out as "Six hundred threescore and six". Remember what Revelation 22:18-19 state. I don't think anyone in his right mind would alter such prophecy in the book.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I believe that what is stated in the book of Revelation is 666, not 616. It is spelled out as "Six hundred threescore and six". Remember what Revelation 22:18-19 state. I don't think anyone in his right mind would alter such prophecy in the book.
"Six hundred threescore and six" is English. You're referring to a translation from Greek to English. The New Testament wasn't written in English. English didn't even exist as a language when Revelation was written. Please look into the Greek originals, fragments and manuscripts.

peacecrusader888

"Six hundred threescore and six" is English. You're referring to a translation from Greek to English. The New Testament wasn't written in English. English didn't even exist as a language when Revelation was written. Please look into the Greek originals, fragments and manuscripts.

FYI, when the book of Revelation was written, the Arabic Numeral System was not used yet. It was only during the 12th century AD that the Arabic Numeral System became in fashion. So the number 666 had to be written as "Six hundred threescore and six".

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
FYI, when the book of Revelation was written, the Arabic Numeral System was not used yet. It was only during the 12th century AD that the Arabic Numeral System became in fashion. So the number 666 had to be written as "Six hundred threescore and six".
It was not written "Sex hundred threescore and six" since that is middle English (not even modern English). It was written in Greek. The oldest fragment says "χιϛʹ."

The later fragments and manuscripts say, "ἑξακόσιοι δέκα ἕξ,", transliterated as "hexakosioi deka hex", translated to English as ""six hundred and sixteen".

peacecrusader888

It was not written "Sex hundred threescore and six" since that is middle English (not even modern English). It was written in Greek. The oldest fragment says "χιϛʹ."

The later fragments and manuscripts say, "ἑξακόσιοι δέκα ἕξ,", transliterated as "hexakosioi deka hex", translated to English as ""six hundred and sixteen".

Do you think that anyone in his right mind would alter the "Six hundred threescore and six" prophesied in the book of Revelation? Revelation 22:18-19 state: "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Do you think that anyone in his right mind would alter the "Six hundred threescore and six" prophesied in the book of Revelation? Revelation 22:18-19 state: "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."
There are lot of manuscripts and fragments, and there are plenty of small changes here and there.

You can even see footnotes in most Bible translations explaining some of the differences and how they decided for which source and interpretation.

peacecrusader888

There are lot of manuscripts and fragments, and there are plenty of small changes here and there.

You can even see footnotes in most Bible translations explaining some of the differences and how they decided for which source and interpretation.

I firmly believe that it is "Six hundred threescores and six" because the number of Jesus is 888. 666 and 888. Not 616 and 888. One of the changes in the Holy Bible is the date when Jesus was crucified. The Romans fixed Easter in March/April. But He was crucified on 08-17.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I firmly believe that it is "Six hundred threescores and six" because the number of Jesus is 888. 666 and 888. Not 616 and 888. One of the changes in the Holy Bible is the date when Jesus was crucified. The Romans fixed Easter in March/April. But He was crucified on 08-17.
And?

The oldest fragment still says "six hundred sixteen" (in Greek), regardless of what you want it to be.

Skwim

Veteran Member
My two cents:

Geographic coordinates:
the Kaaba in Mecca 21°25′21″N 39°49′34″E
Solomon's temple 31°45'45"N 35°10'17"E​
Distance between the two :
1239 km source
769.9 miles
669 nautical miles (Close but no whistle.)
256.6 leagues
6,159 furlongs
1,239,000,000,000 nanometers
315.5 ri (里) (Japanese)

As a matter of note, the nautical mile ain't that old.
"Around [1617] British mathematician Edmund Gunter improved navigational tools including a new quadrant to determine latitude at sea. He reasoned that the lines of latitude could be used as the basis for a unit of measurement for distance and proposed the nautical mile as one minute or one-sixtieth (1/60) of one degree of latitude."
Source: Wikipedia

serp777

This has been pointed out numerous times by numerous people in the past few years

Several " refutations " of the apparent significance of this include:

~ Nautical miles weren't a unit until quite recently
~ Nobody knows the precise location of the original Kaaba or supposed wall of Solomon's Temple, or even if it was part of Solomon's temple, or another structure
~ " numerology " is for fools

Now, I'm not trying to rub anything in here, or troll anybody like a jerk, but the last thread I posted it turned out that after the mocking ran out of gas, people who knew it all already, didn't know the most basic of topics { education in metrology, history of mathematics and mathematical astronomy and " numerology / gematria ", Mesopotamian history, etc } so I have decided that obviously I bored people to death and there is no point in going further { unless you are interested of course ..... }

What I am interested in, however, is what the masses { you } have to say about this distance between the two holy sites

Most often you will hear the stereotypical explanations for ' the devil ' { please read links in red below, for the sake of the discussion at least ]

Mind you I am not the type of person who thinks the " devil " is a little red guy with horns, or that the president of the United States is a holographic inter-dimensional Jewish moon lizard but rather that this comes from the Levite " scapegoat " ritual

scapegoat-300x179.jpg

in which a red ribbon was tied to the goats horns { for which exist several explanations according to traditional literature }, having roots in Canaanite religion { or possibly others }

...anyway, not to get too far off track here, I want to hear what you think about think about this

In other words,

Why does it look like somebody left the area of " Solomon's temple " in Jerusalem, traveling a distance in units that is based on Sumerian mathematics referencing a highly precise mathematical system of astronomy, in a direction that can only accurately be determined by a type of map that supposedly was not invented until thousands of years after Sumerian mathematical astronomers in Uruk, and built a structure that is based on mathematical astronomy, including it's minor and major axis [ the Kaaba } which reference the axial tilt of the earth { 66.6 degrees from the ecliptic } ?

2zdwt4k.jpg

Or for that matter, anything from anybody in any system of belief or religions who has anything interesting to add

Thanks

WHo cares. You can make the distance between two things equal to 666 as long as you use the right units.

The distance between the moon and the earth is 666 x units. The distance between the sun and the earth is 666 y units. This is completely correct since this is how i established these units.

Reactions: MD

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
This has been pointed out numerous times by numerous people in the past few years

Several " refutations " of the apparent significance of this include:

~ Nautical miles weren't a unit until quite recently
~ Nobody knows the precise location of the original Kaaba or supposed wall of Solomon's Temple, or even if it was part of Solomon's temple, or another structure
~ " numerology " is for fools

Now, I'm not trying to rub anything in here, or troll anybody like a jerk, but the last thread I posted it turned out that after the mocking ran out of gas, people who knew it all already, didn't know the most basic of topics { education in metrology, history of mathematics and mathematical astronomy and " numerology / gematria ", Mesopotamian history, etc } so I have decided that obviously I bored people to death and there is no point in going further { unless you are interested of course ..... }

What I am interested in, however, is what the masses { you } have to say about this distance between the two holy sites

Most often you will hear the stereotypical explanations for ' the devil ' { please read links in red below, for the sake of the discussion at least ]

Mind you I am not the type of person who thinks the " devil " is a little red guy with horns, or that the president of the United States is a holographic inter-dimensional Jewish moon lizard but rather that this comes from the Levite " scapegoat " ritual

scapegoat-300x179.jpg

in which a red ribbon was tied to the goats horns { for which exist several explanations according to traditional literature }, having roots in Canaanite religion { or possibly others }

...anyway, not to get too far off track here, I want to hear what you think about think about this

In other words,

Why does it look like somebody left the area of " Solomon's temple " in Jerusalem, traveling a distance in units that is based on Sumerian mathematics referencing a highly precise mathematical system of astronomy, in a direction that can only accurately be determined by a type of map that supposedly was not invented until thousands of years after Sumerian mathematical astronomers in Uruk, and built a structure that is based on mathematical astronomy, including it's minor and major axis [ the Kaaba } which reference the axial tilt of the earth { 66.6 degrees from the ecliptic } ?

2zdwt4k.jpg

Or for that matter, anything from anybody in any system of belief or religions who has anything interesting to add

Thanks

This doesn't belong in the Science and Religion forum. And 666, which is not 66.6, is a number in arabic numerals which didn't exist when Revelation was written, and was intended to be used as interpreted by Gematria (Hebrew numerology), which translated means Tarsus--Paul's hometown.

rosends

This doesn't belong in the Science and Religion forum. And 666, which is not 66.6, is a number in arabic numerals which didn't exist when Revelation was written, and was intended to be used as interpreted by Gematria (Hebrew numerology), which translated means Tarsus--Paul's hometown.
If Tarsus is just the place called "Tarshish", the gematria is 1210. To make a similar sounding place which adds to 666, one would come up with "Tarsu". I know of no place by that name.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
If Tarsus is just the place called "Tarshish", the gematria is 1210. To make a similar sounding place which adds to 666, one would come up with "Tarsu". I know of no place by that name.

Exactly, and without the vowel (a) not used in Hebrew, the Hebrew the Greek name, Tarsus is TRSU, like the English translation or name for Yeshua is Jesus.

Tarsus is the Greek pronunciation and the Hebrew or Aramaic pronunciation would have been Tarsu, which would be spelled TRSU using the English equivalents of the Hebrew letters. When using Gematria which assigns a number to each letter it equals 666.

T=Tav
R=Resh
S=Samech
U=Waw

ת"רסו

T=400
R=200
S=60
U/V=6

My first question when I saw this was, isn't there a letter for "600"? No, they just combine the letters for 100 through 400 for 500-900.

This is a more complete explanation. http://www.justgivemethetruth.com/tarsus_is_666.htm
It's copied from a modern Ebionite site which I've referred to for many years, but is listed as temporarily unavailable. Ebionites, btw, are Jewish believers that Jesus was the messiah, but not divine, born of a virgin and all that other pagan stuff.

There's another clue behind six-hundred, threescore and six. That exact number is used twice in the O/T for the number of talents of gold that came to Solomon in one year. It's a symbol of great wealth, and Paul as a Herodian and Roman citizen had to be very wealthy--something he would certainly have kept from becoming common knowledge. Once it became known, in the Temple riot in Acts, he was never among the Jews again. It could even have been the actual reason for the riot.

Last edited:

rosends

Exactly, and without the vowel (a) not used in Hebrew, the Hebrew the Greek name, Tarsus is TRSU, like the English translation or name for Yeshua is Jesus.

Tarsus is the Greek pronunciation and the Hebrew or Aramaic pronunciation would have been Tarsu, which would be spelled TRSU using the English equivalents of the Hebrew letters. When using Gematria which assigns a number to each letter it equals 666.

T=Tav
R=Resh
S=Samech
U=Waw

ת"רסו

T=400
R=200
S=60
U/V=6

My first question when I saw this was, isn't there a letter for "600"? No, they just combine the letters for 100 through 400 for 500-900.

This is a more complete explanation. http://www.justgivemethetruth.com/tarsus_is_666.htm
It's copied from a modern Ebionite site which I've referred to for many years, but is listed as temporarily unavailable. Ebionites, btw, are Jewish believers that Jesus was the messiah, but not divine, born of a virgin and all that other pagan stuff.

There's another clue behind six-hundred, threescore and six. That exact number is used twice in the O/T for the number of talents of gold that came to Solomon in one year. It's a symbol of great wealth, and Paul as a Herodian and Roman citizen had to be very wealthy--something he would certainly have kept from becoming common knowledge. Once it became known, in the Temple riot in Acts, he was never among the Jews again. It could even have been the actual reason for the riot.
But why do you assume that Tarsus

a) isn't Tarshish

b) in Hebrew wouldn't be "Tarsus"? Why drop the final S?

c) in Hebrew wouldn't be spelled with a sin, not a samech (which would make the total 706 and sound exactly the same)?

And remember, the word transliterated in Jesus is Iesus. Since there is no record of a Hebrew name, assuming that it was "Yeshua" so that you can justify the rest of the logic of the extra -s is specious at best. There is a name in the tanach "Yeyshu'a" which is a nickname for someone named Yehoshua, which became, in English, Joshua, no terminal S.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
But why do you assume that Tarsus

a) isn't Tarshish

b) in Hebrew wouldn't be "Tarsus"? Why drop the final S?

Asked and already answered in my post.
c) in Hebrew wouldn't be spelled with a sin, not a samech (which would make the total 706 and sound exactly the same)?

Assuming you actually meant that it would be spelled with a sin instead of a samech, why?

And remember, the word transliterated in Jesus is Iesus. Since there is no record of a Hebrew name, assuming that it was "Yeshua" so that you can justify the rest of the logic of the extra -s is specious at best. There is a name in the tanach "Yeyshu'a" which is a nickname for someone named Yehoshua, which became, in English, Joshua, no terminal S.

Transliterated names, particularly proper names, are all over the map making your infatuation with a dropped s in one case irrelevant to keeping it in the other. Same with Joshua & Jesus. How is the Greek for Joshua rendered Iesous? And I think you're straining to ignore the confirming knowledge that Paul was a rich Herodian, because that was little known back then, and well hidden until about the last 20 years today. No, there is no original Hebrew/Aramaic version of the N/T. But we do know that it was written Yeshua on his ossuary (bone box) in his tomb as well as on his brother James' ossuary. Yeshua was a common name in Judea back in Jesus day, but there are no examples of Jesus or Iesous ever being used.

rosends

Asked and already answered in my post.
Really? Please show me where you addressed Tarshish.
Assuming you actually meant that it would be spelled with a sin instead of a samech, why?
The full sentence was "why do you assume that Tarsus...in Hebrew wouldn't be spelled with a sin, not a samech (which would make the total 706 and sound exactly the same)?"
Why do you think that this nonexistent place would be spelled in Hebrew the way you think it would be spelled? Did you know that the entire of the tanach, there is no word that begins with tav-reish-samech? And yet there are 2 mentions of the name "Teresh" and 7 of the mention of the gem "tarshish" and 25 of the mention of the place Tarshish. Plus 5 of the Aramaic word Tirshata. So why do I assume a sin and not a samech? Because the spelling with a shin exists but the structure of a word beginning tav-reish-samech NEVER HAPPENS IN TANACH.

So again, why do you assume the letter samech? Because you have to in order to get the number you want. Should we check on why you assume the first letter is a tav and not a tet? Same sound. Different gematria value though.

Transliterated names, particularly proper names, are all over the map making your infatuation with a dropped s in one case irrelevant to keeping it in the other. Same with Joshua & Jesus. How is the Greek for Joshua rendered Iesous?
Why do you assume the Hebrew was Joshua? In the Greek rendering, is the student of Moses, Joshua, rendered Iesous? My Greek is no good, but a quick look has this: "Ἰησοῦ" for Jesus in Mark 1:1 and this: "Ἰησοῦς" for Joshua (Num 11:28). Since there is no set of original gospels in the Hebrew, how have you decided that his name was Joshua?
And I think you're straining to ignore the confirming knowledge that Paul was a rich Herodian, because that was little known back then, and well hidden until about the last 20 years today. No, there is no original Hebrew/Aramaic version of the N/T. But we do know that it was written Yeshua on his ossuary (bone box) in his tomb as well as on his brother James' ossuary. Yeshua was a common name in Judea back in Jesus day, but there are no examples of Jesus or Iesous ever being used.
There were many common names back then, including Yehoshua. The ossuary (subject to a lot of criticism for a variety of reasons, and even if authentic to its time, not a burial box for the man mentioned in the gospels, or else it denies the validity of the gospels) has different renderings of the Hebrew name, so the issue of how any of them is then converted into Greek begs the question, WHICH name is being rendered? No one can know, so claiming precedent for the S is impossible.

So, simply put, the place T(a)rsu doesn't exist. Tarshish did. The spelling you want didn't exist. The other did. The transliteration you want to cite is not particularly accurate not persuasive.

So make whatever connection you want but when you try to cite Hebrew and gematria, don't make stuff up in the face of actual facts.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic

Here's the Hebrew alphabet.

hebrew-alphabet..jpg

400 is variously transliterally pronounced/written as tav or taw, threescore is variously samekh, samek or whatever. And when using gematria, you pick the largest number available and use that first and then work down--thus no shinshin. All this is in the link I posted that you either didn't read or ignored in lieu of being (fill in the blank). Also, Solomon's gold (1 Kings 10:14 and 2 Chro 10:19) uses an apparently more modern Hebrew in the sources I have which actually has a word for "hundred"--but of course it's still the same number, and the a word search wouldn't have turned up that older system (without hundreds, in Tanach). It would be interesting to see if the gematria system we have is used in older translations. Well, it would be interesting to me anyway. Interesting that it works either way. :)

There were many common names back then, including Yehoshua. The ossuary (subject to a lot of criticism for a variety of reasons, and even if authentic to its time, not a burial box for the man mentioned in the gospels, or else it denies the validity of the gospels)

There's a lot of reasons to invalidate the gospels, but bodily resurrection isn't one of them. Even Paul, antichrist that he is, was ambiguous about it. The grouping of names made the likelihood that it was the Jesus very high, And then when tests showed that the James ossuary came from that tomb, it makes it all but proven. If the orthodox hall monitors and the IAA weren't so obstructive, we'd have DNA confirmation and a lot more from the neighboring Garden Tomb where it's likely Joseph of Arimathea is likely buried.

While I'm at it, did you know both Temples were almost certainly in the City of David, not on the alleged (Dome of the Rock) Temple Mount which was a military barracks and where the 10th Legion set itself up during the First Jewish War. I don't have a dog in that fight, but it might help sidestep the strife of building it on the current 'Temple Mount": and wouldn't it be the wisest thing to make sure and at least check all the evidence out, starting with the City of David? I've been surprised that so many Jews and Christians are dug in to sticking with the current spot, mostly due to faith, tradition and professional egos as far as I can tell. Just three facts to begin with: they've squished Ft. Antonia into 1 1/2 acres on the outside of the northern wall, when the Romans would have needed 35+ acres for the 6000 men in the 10th Legion. There were two 600' bridges between Ft. Antonia and the Temple. And many many sources say the Temples were directly over the Gihon Spring, and there are no other springs in the area.

Last edited:

rosends

Here's the Hebrew alphabet.

hebrew-alphabet..jpg

400 is variously transliterally pronounced/written as tav or taw, threescore is variously samekh, samek or whatever. And when using gematria, you pick the largest number available and use that first and then work down--thus no shinshin. All this is in the link I posted that you either didn't read or ignored in lieu of being (fill in the blank). Also, Solomon's gold (1 Kings 10:14 and 2 Chro 10:19) uses an apparently more modern Hebrew in the sources I have which actually has a word for "hundred"--but of course it's still the same number, and the a word search wouldn't have turned up that older system (without hundreds, in Tanach). It would be interesting to see if the gematria system we have is used in older translations. Well, it would be interesting to me anyway. Interesting that it works either way. :)
Thanks for posting the aleph bet and the numbers. Though I learned it first in kindergarten, many years ago, it was a cute graphic. There are, of course, multiple types of gematria, but that's besides the point. Saying there is no "shinshin" is weird. The shin-shin is a function of the spelling, not the numbers. What you seem to be saying is that if I start with a number like 1500 and look for a word, I should opt for a series of tavs to fill out 1200, then have 1 shin. Gematria, though, doesn't work like that. First, we generally start with words, not with the numbers. But when we DO start with numbers, we can use any combination of letters we like, including multiples of a lower value. None of this addresses any of the points I made about the arbitrary spelling of a fictitious place.

There's a lot of reasons to invalidate the gospels, but bodily resurrection isn't one of them. Even Paul, antichrist that he is, was ambiguous about it. The grouping of names made the likelihood that it was the Jesus very high, And then when tests showed that the James ossuary came from that tomb, it makes it all but proven. If the orthodox hall monitors and the IAA weren't so obstructive, we'd have DNA confirmation and a lot more from the neighboring Garden Tomb where it's likely Joseph of Arimathea is likely buried.
All the articles I read indicate that the limited DNA testing has already proven that the people in this ossuary aren't whom you think they are.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Thanks for posting the aleph bet and the numbers. Though I learned it first in kindergarten, many years ago, it was a cute graphic. There are, of course, multiple types of gematria, but that's besides the point. Saying there is no "shinshin" is weird. The shin-shin is a function of the spelling, not the numbers. What you seem to be saying is that if I start with a number like 1500 and look for a word, I should opt for a series of tavs to fill out 1200, then have 1 shin. Gematria, though, doesn't work like that. First, we generally start with words, not with the numbers. But when we DO start with numbers, we can use any combination of letters we like, including multiples of a lower value. None of this addresses any of the points I made about the arbitrary spelling of a fictitious place.

All the articles I read indicate that the limited DNA testing has already proven that the people in this ossuary aren't whom you think they are.

I explained the shinshin once already, you still haven't read the link which is short, and if Gematria could be accomplished by using any numbers that add up to the desired number, they could never be decoded. And yes the DNA tests were limited due to bone fragments being lost or intermixed, and the only thing that was proven is that Jesus and Mariamne were not related. They're preparing a new DNA test that will use a get set in the ossuaries that will be able to extract DNA for testing. We'll see what happens including who tries to block them, and especially those who want to do the test.