• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

666 and 616

rojse

RF Addict
The Book of Revelations in the Ephraemi Codex, as well as several other fragments of the early Greek manuscripts of the Bible say that the "Number of the Beast" is six hundred and sixteen 616.

However, most other early copies of the Bible say that the "Number of the Beast" is 666.

Is there any reason for the discrepancy between the two numbers, particularly considering that multiple copies of the original Greek bible manuscripts have the same text? From my rather limited knowledge of the preservation and copying of the Bible, this seems to be more than a mere copying or mistranslation accident.

A

angellous_evangellous

The Book of Revelations in the Ephraemi Codex, as well as several other fragments of the early Greek manuscripts of the Bible say that the "Number of the Beast" is six hundred and sixteen 616.

However, most other early copies of the Bible say that the "Number of the Beast" is 666.

Is there any reason for the discrepancy between the two numbers, particularly considering that multiple copies of the original Greek bible manuscripts have the same text? From my rather limited knowledge of the preservation and copying of the Bible, this seems to be more than a mere copying or mistranslation accident.

616 is earlier. The reason why "most manuscripts" have 666 is simply that it was copied more.

666 simply got caught in the Xerox machine.

Dinner123

I tend to agree. I think it's so obviously important to know what is the true number of the beast; that you could hardly get this wrong, except on purpose. I trust that it is actually 666 and not 616. I tend to think that confusion on this topic is not what God wants us to have.

Anyway, I won't accept any number of the beast. Either 666 or 616 just to be perfectly safe. :rolleyes:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The number 9 is actually the Number of the Devil, because it always comes back to itself. Any number or infinite grouping of numbers multiplied by 9, their sum total will eventually add back to the single digit 9. For example: 666x9= 5,994= 5+9+9+4= 27= 2+7= 9, or 616x9= 5,544= 5+5+4+4= 18= 1+8= 9, or 626x9= 5,634= 5+6+3+4= 18= 1+8= 9, etc, etc, and so forth ad infinitum. And btw, 6+6+6= 18= 1+8= 9

Xeper.
/Adramelek\