• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 African-American children banned from pool.

J Bryson

That one sure smells like a lawsuit.

A lawsuit if they're lucky. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson can smell a news camera from across the country. How much do you want to bet that their plane tickets are already booked?

ok might be wrong but realy though would you rather sit as a white sox fans between the bear fans or between white sox fans

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
3.14 - I'm not quire sure what relevance the Bears/Sox rivalry has to the OP, unless you are insinuating that one team has a huge majority of supporters of one race, and the other team ahs a huge majority of supporters of another race. Otherwise, I don't get it.

kai

ragamuffin
OK as devils advocate here, is it at all possible that the pools explanation is possibly true.

We had originally agreed to invite the camps to use our facility, knowing full well that the children from the camps were from multi-ethnic backgrounds. Unfortunately, we quickly learned that we underestimated the capacity of our facilities and realized that we could not accommodate the number of children from these camps. All funds were returned to the camps and we will re-evaluate the issue at a later date to determine whether it can be feasible in the future.

Alceste

Vagabond
OK as devils advocate here, is it at all possible that the pools explanation is possibly true.

We had originally agreed to invite the camps to use our facility, knowing full well that the children from the camps were from multi-ethnic backgrounds. Unfortunately, we quickly learned that we underestimated the capacity of our facilities and realized that we could not accommodate the number of children from these camps. All funds were returned to the camps and we will re-evaluate the issue at a later date to determine whether it can be feasible in the future.

I'm inclined to agree (except that they should have said misunderestimated). I mean, I'm not sure I'd appreciate sharing a swimming pool with over 60 kids regardless of their skin color. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been swimming in a pool with 60 people in it, except during the heat wave in Toronto when they kept the public pools open all night for free to help cool people down. And that was just gross. Shoulder to shoulder, bandaids floating by, god only knows how many "accidents", water turning slowly more and more opaque with discarded skin and hair...

If it was 10 kids, or 20 kids, I'd be saying "those damnable racists!" right along with everybody else. But 60 kids, well, I can kind of see their point, if it's just an ordinary sized pool. On the other hand, the comments quoted were pretty outrageous.

kai

ragamuffin
I'm inclined to agree (except that they should have said misunderestimated). I mean, I'm not sure I'd appreciate sharing a swimming pool with over 60 kids regardless of their skin color. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever been swimming in a pool with 60 people in it, except during the heat wave in Toronto when they kept the public pools open all night for free to help cool people down. And that was just gross. Shoulder to shoulder, bandaids floating by, god only knows how many "accidents", water turning slowly more and more opaque with discarded skin and hair...

If it was 10 kids, or 20 kids, I'd be saying "those damnable racists!" right along with everybody else. But 60 kids, well, I can kind of see their point, if it's just an ordinary sized pool. On the other hand, the comments quoted were pretty outrageous.

At my local pool the school kids have their own session times. and personally i like swimming but if its crowded i don't bother. its a pretty big pool but 60 people in it would make it pretty uninviting to me. thinking about it thats quite a lot of people in a pool.

The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded.

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

poorly worded? he should have been issued with a steel helmet and a flack jacket for that one.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Hang on a second - maybe I have been in a pool with 60 kids. We had swimming lessons at school, and from what I remember there were two classes at the pool at any given time, and that would have been about 60 kids. It wasn't so bad, although there were no other people trying to use the pool. We had a specific time. Which is probably what those damnable racists should have planned for - surely a private pool can be closed to other members for a private booking - pools do that all the time.

kai

ragamuffin
Hang on a second - maybe I have been in a pool with 60 kids. We had swimming lessons at school, and from what I remember there were two classes at the pool at any given time, and that would have been about 60 kids. It wasn't so bad, although there were no other people trying to use the pool. We had a specific time. Which is probably what those damnable racists should have planned for - surely a private pool can be closed to other members for a private booking - pools do that all the time.

indeed! that's what they do where i live, the council run pools and the private ones that have a contract with the schools . The kids have their own session times.

Smoke

Done here.
3.14 - I'm not quire sure what relevance the Bears/Sox rivalry has to the OP, unless you are insinuating that one team has a huge majority of supporters of one race, and the other team ahs a huge majority of supporters of another race. Otherwise, I don't get it.
He's saying that it's natural to prefer being among your own kind, whether you're talking about ethnicity or enthusiasm for athletic teams.

J Bryson

He's saying that it's natural to prefer being among your own kind, whether you're talking about ethnicity or enthusiasm for athletic teams.

He's right. I do prefer being among my own kind: Humans. Unless cats are involved, as they often make for better company.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Does it matter? If the place is "a private swim club" then they have a right to turn down whoever they want for any reason they want. If the money was refunded (or offered to be refunded) then who cares what their reason was. If anything, knowing that it's a racist swim club should make them not want to swim there anymore.