• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6 Struggles Only Atheists Understand

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I actually saw this as kind of funny. Just some awkward moments atheists encounter.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Weekly life with Carlita

Day 1 (Carlita at work)
I live and work at a Catholic owned apt, with christian neighbors, christian visitors, in a christian city.

Good Morning, how are you? I say

I'm blessed. How about you? (Waiting for me to say the same)

Um. I'm okay.

Day 2 (Walkin down the halls from work)

Did you go to Mass last Sunday? They ask.

Mass? (Almost forgot I am catholic) ummm... oh. Um. I was at work

Oh? You work every sunday?

No. Every couple weeks.

So why havent you gone to church?

I havent gone to church in over a year

I see. You lost faith in god. (sympathy) Dont worry. He is calling everyone soon.

Day 3 (Thanksgiving dinner in our lunch cafeteria.)

The staff leads prayer before eating.

Let's pray. (Yes lord, under her breathe) Dear god....

I twiddle my toes and dot my eyes. Namu Tassa Bagavato Arahato Sama Sambuddhasa..... oh! Thats right. Christian prayer. Christ. In the name of the... forget it.

Day 4 (Prayin up my ol' days)

I saw you outside couple weeks ago. You were bowing or prayin, right? You look beautiful prayin to god.

Um (cough) god?

Yeah, or is that some type of yoga?

No. Its a sun prayer.

Oh.

Day 5. (PTSD Ex-Catholic at work)
T.v. is on while I'm watching the cameras. A catholic friend who is very evangelical comes to my desk holding our church's bullutin.

"We have a new priest" she informs me. "You missed the celebration when Father Nate* left." She hasnt seen me in church for over a month.

"You need to go to confession." She looks me dead in the eyes. "Call Father Juan,* he listen to you." She pauses, "he's around your age."

She sits the bullutin on the desk.

Day 6. (The puzzle conversation)

Resident A goes to church mon through sun. Always has her bible. Talks nothing but the bible. She pulls me aside while she is solving a over thousand piece puzzle and after saying hello.

Did you know Noah.... she starts.

I know the story, I say in my head.

You still believin?

No, I tell her. I'm a Buddhist.

Silence.

After hour of telling me the whole genesis story, how god loves me, finally her son calls so I exnay back to my apt.

Day 7 (back at the desk)

How was Mass? I asked resident C when she came back from church.

How was sermon? I asked resident D thirty minutes after C left.

Everyone is blessed but me it seems.

Thats my week as an athiest (By the way. Here if you're not christian you're an atheist or the devils got you)

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Who the hell refuses to go to a Christmas Party? Is Church like an all day thing all of a sudden?
Also wow, some of them encounters tho. Lol at the wedding one. I would have said I was having mine at the alter of Satan just to mess with people
Although I have never been uncomfortable with saying grace before a meal. Might be my lax approach to life in general though.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Weekly life with Carlita

Day 1 (Carlita at work)
I live and work at a Catholic owned apt, with christian neighbors, christian visitors, in a christian city.

Good Morning, how are you? I say

I'm blessed. How about you? (Waiting for me to say the same)

Um. I'm okay.

Day 2 (Walkin down the halls from work)

Did you go to Mass last Sunday? They ask.

Mass? (Almost forgot I am catholic) ummm... oh. Um. I was at work

Oh? You work every sunday?

No. Every couple weeks.

So why havent you gone to church?

I havent gone to church in over a year

I see. You lost faith in god. (sympathy) Dont worry. He is calling everyone soon.

Day 3 (Thanksgiving dinner in our lunch cafeteria.)

The staff leads prayer before eating.

Let's pray. (Yes lord, under her breathe) Dear god....

I twiddle my toes and dot my eyes. Namu Tassa Bagavato Arahato Sama Sambuddhasa..... oh! Thats right. Christian prayer. Christ. In the name of the... forget it.

Day 4 (Prayin up my ol' days)

I saw you outside couple weeks ago. You were bowing or prayin, right? You look beautiful prayin to god.

Um (cough) god?

Yeah, or is that some type of yoga?

No. Its a sun prayer.

Oh.

Day 5. (PTSD Ex-Catholic at work)
T.v. is on while I'm watching the cameras. A catholic friend who is very evangelical comes to my desk holding our church's bullutin.

"We have a new priest" she informs me. "You missed the celebration when Father Nate* left." She hasnt seen me in church for over a month.

"You need to go to confession." She looks me dead in the eyes. "Call Father Juan,* he listen to you." She pauses, "he's around your age."

She sits the bullutin on the desk.

Day 6. (The puzzle conversation)

Resident A goes to church mon through sun. Always has her bible. Talks nothing but the bible. She pulls me aside while she is solving a over thousand piece puzzle and after saying hello.

Did you know Noah.... she starts.

I know the story, I say in my head.

You still believin?

No, I tell her. I'm a Buddhist.

Silence.

After hour of telling me the whole genesis story, how god loves me, finally her son calls so I exnay back to my apt.

Day 7 (back at the desk)

How was Mass? I asked resident C when she came back from church.

How was sermon? I asked resident D thirty minutes after C left.

Everyone is blessed but me it seems.

Thats my week as an athiest (By the way. Here if you're not christian you're an atheist or the devils got you)
Maybe buy a few bangles, earrings and necklaces with Buddha on them? Put an image of Buddha on your office desk? They usually keep the pesky Christians away like bug repellent on mosquitoes. :p

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Just for kicks I'm gonna see how many I relate to.

1: Yup.Pagans don't really "say grace", and it's always super awkward when my family and friends do it.
2. Yup. My wife and I had a court marriage; didn't do the whole "church" thing. Even if we were to be wed by a goði, it'd probably just be in a park or something, and not super religious at all.
3. Yup. "Sending positive vibes" also annoys the crap out of me.
4. I've actually offended people because I don't say "bless you." If anything, I say "будьте здоровы", which basically means "be healthy".
5. Aye, not so much this one, but that's because a lot of my friends either don't go to church, or I work too much to throw parties lol...
6. Oh, all the time. I've read the bible, but I can't understand it because I'm not a Christian. And obviously because I don't worship Jesus the only other option is the devil...

Jeremiah Ames

I think I relate more to atheists than to Christians in general, even though I consider myself a Christian.
And the video hit home to many of my experiences.
The ordinary Christian is really just a religious fanatic.
Too much self righteousness.
Too many hypocrites.
Too much religion, and very little Christ.
Too much in your face trying to get you to come join their social group/religion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Maybe buy a few bangles, earrings and necklaces with Buddha on them? Put an image of Buddha on your office desk? They usually keep the pesky Christians away like bug repellent on mosquitoes. :p

Hmm. Forgot about that freedom of religion. Good idea. I was going to wear my Rainbow but thought that would be going a bit to far. :p

Last edited:
Apparently we are suppose to find it awkward when someone says "I'll pray for you" and tell them not to bother :unamused:

'When I realised I didn't believe in god I also realised I was a massive **** who preferred to pedantically quibble with other peoples good wishes rather than take them in the spirit intended.'

Then later on she made a point of highlighting that atheists can say 'bless you' out of politeness o_O

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a non-Christian the same kind of things are said to me. I'm personally not bothered by it. I can respond "and a Happy New Year to you" for example. I've lived long enough to know that the world won't change to suit my preferences and wishes.

I suppose in a small town with only one or perhaps two churches some of those comments would apply but in my area no one would assume I attended anything in particular so that does not come up.

Jumi

Apparently we are suppose to find it awkward when someone says "I'll pray for you" and tell them not to bother :unamused:
There are a couple of ways to say "I'll pray for you", one of them is to make the point that you are a rotten unsaved person who they wish would convert to their beliefs and the other is wishing well.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

'When I realised I didn't believe in god I also realised I was a massive **** who preferred to pedantically quibble with other peoples good wishes rather than take them in the spirit intended.'

Then later on she made a point of highlighting that atheists can say 'bless you' out of politeness o_O
Nah, it's just a film. You don't have to take it personally.

There are a couple of ways to say "I'll pray for you", one of them is to make the point that you are a rotten unsaved person who they wish would convert to their beliefs and the other is wishing well.

In the video she said she had an tough exam, and the chap said he'd pray for her.

Nah, it's just a film. You don't have to take it personally.

Don't worry, I wasn't :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The "bless you" after sneezing I think is such a silly thing to do. It also applies to pretty much everyone who isn't a Christian, given it's assumed it's a Christian blessing.
I don't get the not going to a Christmas party. It's another "multi-religion" thing. And what if we called it "Kwayulurnelimas" and combined all the traditions into one word?
The thing about saying grace that tends to annoy me is that often they give all thanks to god and make no mention of the doctors, cooks, volunteers, and others who worked to provide what they are thankful for.
The "married at a church" applies to many more than just atheists, and the assumption of a marriage at church is part of the reason so many Christians feel it is their right to define marriage.
People praying for me baffles me, as there are plenty who would need such intervention if it existed far more than I (what really does my needing a job get prayers prioritized over those in places such as refugee camps?).
Reading/rejecting the Bible is also something that applies to so many more than just atheists. That part made me laugh, but it, like the entire list, is a self-thrown pity party and is in no way rightfully considered things that only atheists would understand and experience. For the most part, they can't even be rightfully be considered struggles.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The "bless you" after sneezing I think is such a silly thing to do. It also applies to pretty much everyone who isn't a Christian, given it's assumed it's a Christian blessing.
I don't get the not going to a Christmas party. It's another "multi-religion" thing. And what if we called it "Kwayulurnelimas" and combined all the traditions into one word?
The thing about saying grace that tends to annoy me is that often they give all thanks to god and make no mention of the doctors, cooks, volunteers, and others who worked to provide what they are thankful for.
The "married at a church" applies to many more than just atheists, and the assumption of a marriage at church is part of the reason so many Christians feel it is their right to define marriage.
People praying for me baffles me, as there are plenty who would need such intervention if it existed far more than I (what really does my needing a job get prayers prioritized over those in places such as refugee camps?).
Reading/rejecting the Bible is also something that applies to so many more than just atheists. That part made me laugh, but it, like the entire list, is a self-thrown pity party and is in no way rightfully considered things that only atheists would understand and experience. For the most part, they can't even be rightfully be considered struggles.
As with many of life's little conundrums, Seinfeld offers a solution.....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

IMO, "the spirit intended" is "I recognize that you're in need and I want to satisfy my desire to help, but I don't actually want to be bothered to do anything that takes effort or has a real effect."

Robert G. Ingersoll said that the appropriate response to "I'll pray for you" is "I forgive you" and I'm inclined to agree.

David T

Premium Member
All the time. The incomprehension of theists is astounding.
They are your doppleganger and you are their doppleganger how difficult is this!!!!! You love and deserve each other this is why atheists prattle on about being atheists. ONLY religious people take you seriously. Atheists have no audience outside religion except with themselves. Since you cannot form Atheist churches you rely on religion as your social gathering. Atheists must pray religion does not dissappear, because you will been seen as nuts. An atheist going around "i don't believe in God"is absurd in a future that would have no idea what that even means. I have zero idea what "I don't believe God exists" even means. Then again I don't understand I Believe God does exist either. And yes we actually do exist today, who are we? We are the future and you are going extinct a relic of modernity "I believe, I don't believe, I am agnostic" its childish intellectual to much university fantasy including agnostism and nothing more. Highly educated Stupid, all three.

Last edited: