• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

57 to 1

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Did I read this right? House passes a bill 57 to 1 to reenact auto draft registration for people 18 to 26. With this type of support, I find it difficult to think it won't become law. How about you? The motivation for the kind of support may or may not be evident enough to understand the "need".

Crazy, I remember growing up and fearing it, just to turn 18 - 19ish and go the recruiter's office to enlist. Must be something to it.

Thought on need, reason for, or whether it's a good idea or not?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Did I read this right? House passes a bill 57 to 1 to reenact auto draft registration for people 18 to 26. With this type of support, I find it difficult to think it won't become law. How about you? The motivation for the kind of support may or may not be evident enough to understand the "need".

Crazy, I remember growing up and fearing it, just to turn 18 - 19ish and go the recruiter's office to enlist. Must be something to it.

Link to article? Hard to tell if you're reading it right without the actual text to read and compare...;)

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

What state did this happen in?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Or was it in the House of Representatives? in which case it was probably in a committee or some sort, because 58 voting isn't enough by far to constitute a quorum needed for business...
You got it before I did.

Fox news article, I can't vouch for it's accuracy, but ....

It passed through committee 57 to 1. And it passed the House 217 to 199. It passed the house, and the Senate is unlikely to take it up.

Did I read this right?
No, sorry, It passed the house but hardly an overwhelming majorly. And it is unlikely to become law.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
It appears I was correct on committee and unsure the others. So, what does it mean that senate won't likely pick it up? They have a lot on their plate, so does this mean it will bypass senate or what?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
It appears I was correct on committee and unsure the others. So, what does it mean that senate won't likely pick it up? They have a lot on their plate, so does this mean it will bypass senate or what?
No, it will not bypass the Senate.

If the Senate does not take it up, it is dead.

If the Senate does take it up but fails to get enough votes to pass it, it is dead.

If it does get enough votes to pass in the Senate then Joe Biden has to sign it.

If Joe Biden does not sign it, it is dead.

Pogo

With 435 or so house members, I don't think so and you still have to register with selective service I think though many people do not.

Pogo

No, it will not bypass the Senate.

If the Senate does not take it up, it is dead.

If the Senate does take it up but fails to get enough votes to pass it, it is dead.

If it does get enough votes to pass in the Senate then Joe Biden has to sign it.

If Joe Biden does not sign it, it is dead.
Be serious, there are an awful lot of felons out there and the government isn't prosecuting them and hasn't since I failed to register with selective service in 1975 at least. Neither did my brother or any of our kids as far as I know yes some people do and it may even be automatic with licenses in some states but it has been a dead issue otherwise.

Yes the government does send out letters reminding you, but that is as far as it seems to go.

Pogo

Be serious, there are an awful lot of felons out there and the government isn't prosecuting them and hasn't since I failed to register with selective service in 1975 at least. Neither did my brother or any of our kids as far as I know yes some people do and it may even be automatic with licenses in some states but it has been a dead issue otherwise.

Yes the government does send out letters reminding you, but that is as far as it seems to go.
And more.
Has anyone been jailed for not registering for Selective Service?

There were at least 20 indictments in Federal court for violating the draft registration laws. The last one was in 1986. The stiffest sentence was for 2.5 years imprisonment; nobody served more than 6 months in jail, total, counting pre-trial jail time.Jan 9, 2019
from selective service system:
What happens if you never register for Selective Service?

Failure to register with Selective Service is a violation of the Military Selective Service Act. Conviction for such a violation may result in imprisonment for up to five years and/or a fine of not more than $250,000.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Not anymore if this passes.

Selective service registration may soon be automatically done for all men. The government will sign people up themselves.

esmith

Veteran Member
When you registger at age 18 (males only for now) for Selective Service it does NOT mean that the draft has been activated. All it means is that your name has been added to the Selective Service rolls.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not anymore if this passes.

Selective service registration may soon be automatically done for all men. The government will sign people up themselves.
This is interesting.
Republicans are often accused of a "war on women".
You know....taking control of their bodies.
Now Democrats show they favor a war on men, ie,
taking control of their bodies (and minds) to use them
as weapons in wars.
A female Dem leads the charge to conscript men only.
How convenient, eh.

**** the draft.
**** war lust.
**** government.
**** Republicans.
And **** Democrats, who pretend to be progressive,
but are actually war mongering, sexist, anti civil liberty
********* ****** who **** their own ***** ********* in
the ***. (Pardon me French.)

Excerpted....
It was led by Rep. Chrissy Houlahan, D-Pa., and passed in the House Armed Services Committee’s version of the NDAA in May. The NDAA advanced through the committee in an overwhelming 57 to 1 vote.

CONGRESS FEELING HEAT FROM GROUPS DEMANDING BAN ON CONTRACTS WITH CHINESE FIRM TAKING AMERICANS' DNA

Chrissy Houlahan

Rep. Chrissy Houlahan led the selective service measure (Getty Images)
"By using available federal databases, the [Selective Service] agency will be able to register all of the individuals required and thus help ensure that any future military draft is fair and equitable," Houlahan said during debate last month, according to Defense News.

"This will also allow us to rededicate resources — basically that means money — towards reading readiness and towards mobilization … rather than towards education and advertising campaigns driven to register people."