• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

51+ Nukes and 5+ reactors lost at sea, are we crazy?

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
I was watching a documentary on U.S. and Russian nuclear submarine disasters and as of the time of the documentary there were 51 nukes and 5 reactors that are somewhere in the bottom of the ocean. If that wasn't bad enough they also detailed some of the close calls with the reactors and fires around nuclear missiles and torpedoes prior to the vessel sinking. I understand militarily the advantage of nuclear powered vessels but isn't the risk and odds obviously bad that radiation contamination will eventually happen? Not only due to accidents but what happens when a ship with reactors and nukes explodes leaving no time for shutdown. One ship or sub could devastate a whole large area of sea or coast. What happens as the sea chews on metals of those sunken ships after 100 years. They say the titanic will practically be gone after another 100 years, so what about those nukes and reactors?

Anybody have any reassurance they can offer to what seems like riding a tigers back?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was watching a documentary on U.S. and Russian nuclear submarine disasters and as of the time of the documentary there were 51 nukes and 5 reactors that are somewhere in the bottom of the ocean. If that wasn't bad enough they also detailed some of the close calls with the reactors and fires around nuclear missiles and torpedoes prior to the vessel sinking. I understand militarily the advantage of nuclear powered vessels but isn't the risk and odds obviously bad that radiation contamination will eventually happen? Not only due to accidents but what happens when a ship with reactors and nukes explodes leaving no time for shutdown. One ship or sub could devastate a whole large area of sea or coast. What happens as the sea chews on metals of those sunken ships after 100 years. They say the titanic will practically be gone after another 100 years, so what about those nukes and reactors?

Anybody have any reassurance they can offer to what seems like riding a tigers back?

Here are some details about it.
Declassified: US Nuclear Weapons At Sea

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

The bottom of the ocean seems like an ideal graveyard for sunken nuclear subs; there'd be hardly any sea life around there to become contaminated; also, there'd be no way to retrieve nukes deep down at the bottom of the ocean.

What could possibly go seriously wrong with sunken nuclear subs lost at the bottom of the ocean?

Cooky

Veteran Member

Surely the bombs will or have leaked. Salt destroys metal.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The bottom of the ocean seems like an ideal graveyard for sunken nuclear subs; there'd be hardly any sea life around there to become contaminated; also, there'd be no way to retrieve nukes deep down at the bottom of the ocean.

Hopefully the radioactive chemicals are heavy, and just stay at the bottom of the sea.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Though there is some life that travels the sea's depths. But I don't know how deep they go.

ocean-creatures-angler-fish-bright.jpg

ocean-medicine21.jpg

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

** The civilized world only thinks they're lost...
SPECTRE's really got 'em!
And James Bond is too old to help.**

Lol.

No, seriously, that is worrisome!

Jumi

Imagine if humans ever came to their senses and stopped fighting wars (unlikely, I know) and ended up being wiped out by something forgotten in the bottom of the ocean. Remember that it wasn't that long ago when industry were dumping mercury waste in containers into the bottom of the sea in the west setting up some nice time bombs for our kids. I don't think it's even stopped in some places that care even less about the environment. There's also some biological wepons that are held in unsafe places, most likely at least the Soviets left some of them lying around for some curious people like youtubers or kids to discover (read Ken Alibek who was part of a secret Soviet program).