• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

50 Best Food Dishes In the World

A Vestigial Mote

I wonder how they determined the results. Reads to me like editor's picks.

Anyway... since rhubarb pie didn't make the list, I had no choice but to consider it a complete failure right out of the gate.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's as if the Middle East is just one country and all we eat is hummus... o_O
I don't even like hummus! :mad:

We used to have a Moroccan restaurant here in town. Everyone said it was good, and I was dying to go there after a person who waited there told me about it. But then it went out of business -- after having been around for 20 years, The timing!

Mostly, the very few restaurants that serve Middle Eastern food label it as "Eastern Mediterranean" and include Greek dishes.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
What's a good Middle Eastern dish or two?
Forget Middle Eastern. I don't focus on the Middle East part. I focus on the Israeli part. The ME isn't one country.
Shakshuka is a good example. While there are different recipes for different cultures, the Israeli version uses eggs and tomato sauce or tomato paste and spices.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Forget Middle Eastern. I don't focus on the Middle East part. I focus on the Israeli part. The ME isn't one country.
Shakshuka is a good example. While there are different recipes for different cultures, the Israeli version uses eggs and tomato sauce or tomato paste and spices.

Israeli breakfast salads. Are they still popular?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Looks a mixed bunch. Since when was a condiment (ketchup) a "food dish" ?

Popcorn? Food dish?

Maple syrup... I think that's actually just an ingredient.

Oh dear.
Some things the list got right....
Tacos
Pho
Paella
Chocolate (Venezuelan or Mexican)
Pizza
Maple syrup (a food group all by itself)
Parma (but any great one) ham
Corn on the cob
Hamburger
Sushi

Some great foods left out....
Guo tie (Chinese fried dumplings)
BBQ ribs (any of the Ameristanian styles)
Cheesecake
Blackberry pie
Steamed pork meat loaf with anchovies (Chinese)
Baba ghanouj
Jerky
Cong you bing (Chinese scallion pancakes)
Bacon & eggs
And so many more, the names of which I don't even know from all over the world.

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have a favorite dish?
Yeah, but it's not particularly Israeli - pasta with sauce and cheese.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I've heard that Israel exports most of its wheat to Italy for their pasta, which I find to be ironic. Israel does have some special types of wheat, including the pre-domestication version ("mother of wheat") called emmer.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It's just a clueless list of random stuff.
That's what I thought, I must say.

I'd put in a vote for moules/frites from Belgium, or even better, mouclade.

Or.......

But where do you stop? There are so many and taste is so individual. This exercise is almost as forlorn as trying to make a list of the best 50 pieces of music in the world. Hopeless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's what I thought, I must say.

I'd put in a vote for moules/frites from Belgium, or even better, mouclade.

Or.......

But where do you stop? There are so many and taste is so individual. This exercise is almost as forlorn as trying to make a list of the best 50 pieces of music in the world. Hopeless.
I'll wager that the point of such lists is to get people arguing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'll wager that the point of such lists is to get people arguing.
Or at least discussing the merits of their chosen candidates, I suppose.

But I stopped after mentioning moules frites because I realised it's silly, like asking what your favourite colour is, or something. There are so many, on so many different, context-dependent, axes of comparison that it's just not a very useful debate. I could list a dozen - or two dozen - of my favourite recipes but so what? It's only my taste, vs. some other herbert's.

I suppose you could always make a pitch for bacon, though.;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or at least discussing the merits of their chosen candidates, I suppose.
"Discussing"....isn't that just argument's precursor?
But I stopped after mentioning moules frites because I realised it's silly, like asking what your favourite colour is, or something. There are so many, on so many different, context-dependent, axes of comparison that it's just not a very useful debate. I could list a dozen - or two dozen - of my favourite recipes but so what? It's only my taste, vs. some other herbert's.

I suppose you could always make a pitch for bacon, though.;)
Hey, you should make a list of the top 50 colors!