• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 Things You Wont Believe Arent In The Bible

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
5 Things You Won't Believe Aren't In the Bible | Cracked.com

The concept of Hell, the popular images of Angels, and the Holy Grail are put a few of the things that aren't in the bible.

It blows my mind that Christian people believe in the Common Thought/Wisdom about their religion instead of actually believing in what is said in the Bible. The concept of the Devil having horns, red skin, and goat feet? Totally made up by writers and artists hundreds of years after the Bible was published.

I'll be honest most Christians probably do believe in concepts that are not biblical, but thats not a Christian phenomena, thats a human condition. Only a small fraction of Christians have read quite a bit of their bible, and the rest just go off of what they see in popular culture. The same can be said for any group of people, however, because a lot of times we just accept any ol information when we don't research it (see stereotypes) because when we have to choose between any information and no information, we will always accept the information blindly.

So my point is, these are misunderstood concepts, but saying Christians believe in non biblical concepts such as these are akin to saying all Americans could not locate England on a map.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Most religions include things that aren't found in their sacred literature.

Most religions evolve a bit over time and they will pick up cultural traditions and stories and myths that are important to the community. Over time those things can become dominate themes within the belief system.

As for depictions of angles, the devil, and such, just about everyone is going to form a mental picture when thinking about them. Does one picture, such as one with horns and goat feet for example, really mean anything more than any other?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
this is exactly why the bible tells us not to make images of anything that is in the heavens

Images have the ability to distort that truth.

And just to add another thing that isnt in the bible... the Cross.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If you take away everything that is part of religions that is not found in holy texts, you be left with almost everything that is part of religions.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Holy Grail is the cup used by Christ at the last supper.
It is mentioned, but had no particular importance as an object.
Its use is reflected in the Chalice used in the Eucharist .

The Bible does not contain any of the Christian services and traditions of the Church it is not its function.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think they could have picked some better things. The description of angels and the devil? Does it really matter? The Holy Grail? Isn't that a story concerning the Knights of the Round Table?

I was just disappointed.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Actually, I don't think most Christians believe these concepts as represented in this list. Popular artistic renderings of angels, the devil, etc., are just that - artistic renderings.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It blows my mind that Christian people believe in the Common Thought/Wisdom about their religion instead of actually believing in what is said in the Bible.

There are many branches of Christianity that accept extra-biblical teachings as key parts of their religion. It's pretty much only certain Fundamentalist Protestant traditions that place such an extreme emphasis on the Bible alone as legitimate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And just to add another thing that isnt in the bible... the Cross.
:sarcastic

Colossians 2:13-15 said:
13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you[d] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[e]
Now... what was that FlyingTeaPot said about Christians not reading their Bibles?

Or when you said that it's not in the Bible, did you mean that it's not in your Bible because you've edited it out with a marker?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
One thing that truly isn't in the Bible is a narration of the resurrection. It goes from Jesus being dead, and then to having been risen. There is no resurrection scene.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
There's a word for just this circumstance:

Originally Posted by The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
''Goosnargh,'' said Ford Prefect, which was a special Betelgeusian word he used when he knew he should say something but didn't know what it should be.

:D

Harhar, that made my day! You're the best.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
The only problem I see with interweaving extra-biblical ideas and traditions into officially (or unofficially but popularly) sanctioned doctrine, aside from the fact that it tends to muddy up any attempts at honest biblical debate or discussion, is that it enables the followers to fill in the gaps or resolve (or ignore) contradictions too easily.

I think my favorite unbiblical biblical claim is the idea that Noah spent years trying to warn his neighbors about the coming flood, and that he was ridiculed for it.

There's nothing at all in the flood story to even suggest any of this, but it's something that almost always comes up in discussions about the story.