• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$5 million to descendants of slaves?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
The San Francisco city government is going to give everyone who is the descendent of a slave five million dollars of public money. This whole venture will cost around fifty billion dollars.

Will plan to give $5 million to every black person in San Francisco redress for years of suffering | Daily Mail Online

What do people think?

I think that the sum on offer is way too high. Even if you believe that the descendants of slaves do deserve some form of compensation.

I think $50,000 would be more fitting.

And I think this policy could very well provoke racial tensions and play into the hands of the far right.
I want my money... I have some Irish blood and I'm sure some of my ancestors were mistreated.

You mentioned that relatives of you had been in forced labour by Germany. Regardless of them not having received reparations (did they apply?), do you think Germany should have said "let bygones be bygone" and not pay any reparations to anyone wronged (and their descendants)?

It would have been fair to pay them, I think it would be ridiculous to pay me now. I don't think Germans today owe me anything as we should let bygones be bygones.

If there was genuinely a movement talking about reparations though, I'd certainly be supporting it and making up reasons why I suffered intergenerational trauma and deserved a handout :D

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Only blacks matter in the pecking order of victim groups.
... for now. The US public can't handle more than one group at a time. For a long time it were women, then gays, now trans people. Blacks try to get a foot it every now and then and they were kind'a successful before the women in the '60s.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about people who are descendants of both slaves and slave owners? Do they owe themselves money for reparations?
No, they merely cancel themselves out,
& disappear in a puff of social justice.
There's a brief burst of woke radiation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
... for now. The US public can't handle more than one group at a time. For a long time it were women, then gays, now trans people. Blacks try to get a foot it every now and then and they were kind'a successful before the women in the '60s.
Nah, blacks have continuously been top dog
in the race to victimhood. Intersectionality
was invented to enhance it, eg, the black
transgender lesbian handicapped elderly Jew.

Caution:
The above post descended into sarcasm.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Reparations are fine, but I think doling them out in cash form based on race is obviously not the right way to go about it.

Not that it matters. This $5 million thing is obviously never going to actually happen.

Shaul

Premium Member
If I say I identify as Black can I get a check too? If so, do I have to pay myself?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not a law, a thought. If reparations are to be paid, why shouldn't descendents of slave owner's pay it? Their family's after all are the ones that gained from it.

Okay...but to do that, you'd need a law. Which seems problematic, to put it mildly.