• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$5 million to descendants of slaves?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The San Francisco city government is going to give everyone who is the descendent of a slave five million dollars of public money. This whole venture will cost around fifty billion dollars.

Will plan to give $5 million to every black person in San Francisco redress for years of suffering | Daily Mail Online

What do people think?

I think that the sum on offer is way too high. Even if you believe that the descendants of slaves do deserve some form of compensation.

I think $50,000 would be more fitting.

And I think this policy could very well provoke racial tensions and play into the hands of the far right.

We Never Know

No Slack
The San Francisco city government is going to give everyone who is the descendent of a slave five million dollars of public money. This whole venture will cost around fifty billion dollars.

Will plan to give $5 million to every black person in San Francisco redress for years of suffering | Daily Mail Online

What do people think?

I think that the sum on offer is way too high. Even if you believe that the descendants of slaves do deserve some form of compensation.

And I think this policy could very well provoke racial tensions and play into the hands of the far right.

I think the descendents of slave owner's should pay any/all reparations.
What about Asian and Native American slavery in the US? Do they not matter?

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack

What do people think?

How far does it go? For example a black man and woman who are descendants of slaves from 150-200 years ago and have 8 kids and 15 grandchildren, which would make them all descendants from slaves. Do they all get $125 million?($5 million a piece)

If in Cali there are 10,000 families as such...that's only $1.25 trillion. Turn on those presses, we have money to printo_O

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Assume that a human in the age of slavery would live about 50 years, assume that a person living today had more than one ancestor living through slavery, about 14 for 3 generations of slavery, add some interest and you'll see that, if his ancestors wouldn't have denied a decent payment how much they potentially could have left as an inheritance.
$5,000,000 seems to be on the low end.

We Never Know

No Slack
Assume that a human in the age of slavery would live about 50 years, assume that a person living today had more than one ancestor living through slavery, about 14 for 3 generations of slavery, add some interest and you'll see that, if his ancestors wouldn't have denied a decent payment how much they potentially could have left as an inheritance.

If they do the same for Native Americans... I have 8 siblings, 2 children, 2 grandchildren, 63 nephews/nieces, great nephews/nieces and great great nephews/nieces.

That's 75 x $5 million= $375 million. Woohoo! Bring it on :):D

We will accept gold, silver, platinum and possibly diamonds. No checks or cash. After the governments pays everyone, their checks and cash will be worthless :p

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

What do people think?

I think that the sum on offer is way too high. Even if you believe that the descendants of slaves do deserve some form of compensation

I say, good decision.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If they do the same for Native Americans... I have 8 siblings, 2 children, 2 grandchildren, 63 nephews/nieces, great nephews/nieces and great great nephews/nieces.

We will accept gold, silver, platinum and possibly diamonds. No checks or cash. After the governments pays everyone, their checks and cash will be worthless :p
Have your ancestors been slaves? Probably not.
But they most probably had their land stolen, you should demand that back.

We Never Know

No Slack
Have your ancestors been slaves? Probably not.
But they most probably had their land stolen, you should demand that back.

Ancestors, probably some. And yes, pay us for the land at a prime price per acre.

Between 1492 and 1880, between 2 and 5.5 million Native Americans were enslaved in Americas.

Not to mentions the millions they killed off with tainted meat, small pox blankets, or just murdered to take our land.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

They should finance the payment with a wealth tax.
The reality is that today wealth, mostly inherited wealth, is concentrated on the white's side. There was no way for slaves to accumulate wealth. Reparations are there to adjust for that inequality.

We Never Know

No Slack
They should finance the payment with a wealth tax.
The reality is that today wealth, mostly inherited wealth, is concentrated on the white's side. There was no way for slaves to accumulate wealth. Reparations are there to adjust for that inequality.

Africa and Europe should pay most of the reparations. Lay the blame where it should be, which is on the ones that brought and sold them.

"The Atlantic slave trade, transatlantic slave trade, or Euro-American slave trade involved the transportation by slave traders of enslaved African people, mainly to the Americas. The slave trade regularly used the triangular trade route and its Middle Passage, and existed from the 16th to the 19th centuries.[1] The vast majority of those who were transported in the transatlantic slave trade were people from Central and West Africa that had been sold by other West Africans to Western European slave traders"

Atlantic slave trade - Wikipedia

Last edited:

If that was 'on the low end', why don't most white people inherit $5 million?

What do people think?

It's a terrible idea and would destroy the social fabric of America and massively increase anti-black racism in all other demographics. Can you even imagine how it would play out on social media :D

Would be terrible for the labour market because most recipients would stop working (I would if I won $5 million). Would cause massive spike in house prices, etc. Would probably see a massive spike in fraud, violent robbery, kidnapping etc. because low income, high crime neighbourhoods are now full of multi-millionaires and there are a lot of bitter people who get nothing while all their neighbours win the lottery and start flaunting their wealth.

Because some white people inherit $5 billion.

And some black people will inherit billions too.

How much do you think I should get for my family members who were used as forced labour by the Germans?

Some free people made millions during that time, maybe my relatives would have if they weren't used as slave labour.

What amount do you think is fair?

Heyo

Veteran Member
And some black people will inherit billions too.
Now tally up what white people own and tally up what descendents of slaves own. Calculate for part of the population and you have a fair amount what people who's ancestors profited from slavery to descendents of slaves. I don't know how Californians came to $5,000,000 but my guess is that they made a similar calculation.
How much do you think I should get for my family members who were used as forced labour by the Germans?
About that what you have already got. Germany has paid billions of reparations already.

Yes, because the "social fabric of America" is built on slavery.

Or it was a couple of hundred years ago. It's like people paying the Catholic Church indulgences to absolve their sins.

Make efforts to improve the lot of all poor people, and if African Americans are still disproportionately impacted by the legacy, they will disproportionately benefit.

Giving wealthy people millions because you assume they have suffered greatly for the colour of their skin, at the expense of others who have suffered far more discrimination and hardship seems immoral to me.

$205 trillion can't be magicked out of thin air.

What do you think would actually happen if you gave $5 million to every black person in America?

About that what you have already got. Germany has paid billions of reparations already.

They got nothing. Not 1 cent.

So how much should they get with interest?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd check to see if it was a farce. I know what about 100,000 to all blacks everywhere in the world and let Mexico pay for it?