• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

450 km south of the south pole !

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It took some really sophisticated geography skills.
What next....journey beneath the center of the Earth?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I guess that is a rather noteworthy achievement, even if the writer of the article got a bit balled up.

Either that, or there's some really weird stuff going down on Antarctica.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Do you realise that every point on the earth, apart from the South Pole, is directly north of the South Pole ?

Surely a coincidence like that is evidence of Intelligent Design ?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It took some really sophisticated geography skills.
What next....journey beneath the center of the Earth?

Not really... The same problems that govern extremely deep sea diving generally come into play at the center of the earth -- with the addition of the dilemmas that drilling that deeply add to the mix. Also, that mantle/magma thing is a bear, eh?

Anyway, we're more likely to get to the deepest parts of the sea first since we don't need an insane drilling rig to get there. Also, we don't have to deal with that 2k+ degree heat... :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1263 meters / 4,143 feet high, in Antarctica. Must have been very cold. Did he give the temperature at the summit?

1263 meters / 4,143 feet high, in Antarctica. Must have been very cold. Did he give the temperature at the summit?

Windchill mentioned as -73c :fearful:

Water at 73c hurts your hand from being too hot
Water at 0c hurts your hand from being too cold (after a while)
-73c :skull::ghost:

Some people are really strange...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Windchill mentioned as -73c :fearful:

Water at 73c hurts your hand from being too hot
Water at 0c hurts your hand from being too cold (after a while)
-73c :skull::ghost:

Some people are really strange...
Windchill applies to bare skin. He hopefully did not have too much ( in other words any ) skin exposed.

Windchill applies to bare skin. He hopefully did not have too much ( in other words any ) skin exposed.

I imagine it would still be a touch brisk even if you were wearing the nice wooly cardigan your gran knitted you.

(they mentioned 'instant frostbite' at that temperature so I guess their grans knitted them mittens and balaclava helmets too :D)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I imagine it would still be a touch brisk even if you were wearing the nice wooly cardigan your gran knitted you.

(they mentioned 'instant frostbite' at that temperature so I guess their grans knitted them mittens and balaclava helmets too :D)
Yes, keeping covered up is a good idea. Growing up I experienced -50 F (-45 C) windchill quite often. And the coldest temperature without windchill I ever experienced was -29 F (-34 C).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, keeping covered up is a good idea. Growing up I experienced -50 F (-45 C) windchill quite often. And the coldest temperature without windchill I ever experienced was -29 F (-34 C).

One time I was outside with my telescope, looking at galaxies and other fuzzies. It was -25F.

That was COLD, but the viewing was superb!