• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

4 day work week a huge success!

We Never Know

No Slack
Global 4-day week pilot was a huge success, organizers say

Question is will this become a standard for workers and their employers?

Several jobs have a three day work week. The days are 12 hours per day but only three days per week. Most are in healthcare.
That means they only work 156 days a year and have 209 days off a year.
Thats basically working only five months a year and having off seven months a year.

My niece works three 12's as a nurse and gets four hours of PTO(paid time off) weekly.
It accumulates and can be cashed in at anytime.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of it isn't even overtime...

Sometimes shifts are set up really weird so you're not quite in overtime, but you may only have one(or no) days off. Happens a lot in low paying jobs(retail, restaurant, nursing/group home staff).

Heyo

Veteran Member

Maybe for a short time. I see a two day work week in the mid future. With increased automatization and an upper limit of how much stuff can be reasonably produced and consumed, we are approaching a state of post scarcity. UBI is going to come eventually and many people will drop out of the work force completely.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Some of it isn't even overtime...

Sometimes shifts are set up really weird so you're not quite in overtime, but you may only have one(or no) days off. Happens a lot in low paying jobs(retail, restaurant, nursing/group home staff).
Whoa! Nursing homes, retail and restaurant workers don’t get days off?
(I’m assuming this is specifically in the States.)

I’m curious. Do such workers typically have any sort of paid sick leave or annual leave?

Over here you get that automatically as soon as you become a part time employee. At the least. The amount of paid leave differs industry to industry, but all part and full time employees get a base minimum of such leave by law. Regardless of where they work.
Is there any sort of base minimum in the states?

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Whoa! Nursing homes, retail and restaurant workers don’t get days off?
(I’m assuming this is specifically in the States.)

I’m curious. Do such workers typically have any sort of paid sick leave or annual leave?

Over here you get that automatically as soon as you become a part time employee. At the least. The amount of paid leave differs industry to industry, but all part and full time employees get a base minimum of such leave by law. Regardless of where they work.
Is there any sort of base minimum in the states?

There are sometimes circumstances in which they don't get days off. I wouldn't say that's a constant occurrence, but its not unheard of for someone in those sectors to say they haven't gotten a day off in two weeks. Nursing and group homes seem to be constantly short staffed, and the extra workload gets passed on to already tired staff.

Hours are often irregular. My husband(restaurant worker) has had times when he'll get off at 11 and need to be back at 8 the next day. Sometimes people bounce between second and first(or even third) shifts. It makes keeping any kind of personal schedule impossible.

Sick and annual leave varies greatly.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
My job has this already. And a weekend shift where I’m on where I work 3 twelve hour days

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Possibly. I've heard talk about trying to make a four-day work week ever since I was a kid. But it's never actually happened.

Although I sometimes wonder if shorter shifts might be more effective. People seem to have more difficulty concentrating and have shorter attention-spans, so maybe a shorter 4-hour shift might be less daunting than an 8-hour shift.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

4 day work week....that's for the unambitious.
Starting a business is very often a 7 day week.
And many businesses don't have enuf workers
to just take 3 days off each week. Customers
need service more promptly than that, eg,
HVAC, plumbing, locksmithing.

BTW, my daughter was promoted to a new role,
& her work week dropped from 75+/- hours to
a mere 55 hours. Such is life in NYC. Ugh.

amorphous_constellation

I never liked mandatory overtime forced on employees while the boss unapologetically goes home after 8 hours every day while the tired workers continued under threat of being fired if they refuse the overtime.

Well a lot of workers actually want to do it, because of the high COL. A lot of workers jump for joy about it.

I guess my biggest problem isn't the overtime though, it's just that this is no way to get rich. And even if I worked all the overtime, it's barely worth it monetarily. I still can't afford a house or family, whether I drive the forklift 5 days a week, or 7.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
to just take 3 days off each week. Customers
need service more promptly than that, eg,
HVAC, plumbing, locksmithing.

BTW, my daughter was promoted to a new role,
& her work week dropped from 75+/- hours to
a mere 55 hours. Such is life in NYC. Ugh.

It seems that with the increase of machines, labor-saving devices, robots, and AI, there should actually be less of a need for humans to work such long, arduous hours. Even with the need for 24/7 service, there should be more than enough available humans to fulfill whatever tasks need to be done and fill in all the shifts - without any one person having to be overloaded with work.

amorphous_constellation

to just take 3 days off each week.

I'd work during the day too probably, but I think my energy is getting drained too much by night shift. My old boss used to give me a helper, my new one won't do it. I don't mind being really productive, but if night shift takes my energy out, then there isn't much I can do once I punch out

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems that with the increase of machines, labor-saving devices, robots, and AI, there should actually be less of a need for humans to work such long, arduous hours.
It's not so simple.
There is sometimes a need, but many choose to work long hours.
Even with the need for 24/7 service, there should be more than enough available humans to fulfill whatever tasks need to be done and fill in all the shifts - without any one person having to be overloaded with work.
The real world doesn't work that way.

amorphous_constellation

It seems that with the increase of machines, labor-saving devices, robots, and AI, there should actually be less of a need for humans to work such long, arduous hours.

There never actually was a need for humans to work long and arduous hours. Think back to all the megalithic structures produced in the middle ages, down to antiquity. Though those structures may have taken hundreds of years to build, in the greatest difficulty, and some are extravagant, there is actually nothing tangible, utility-wise, that is produced. But we still have that mindset, now that we are using robots.

They want to make some kind robot police device I see, but I don't know if that thing will be AI. I also read most of an article that talked about how they are starting in with AI landlords