• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"31% of White Evangelicals Say They’ll Support Trump No Matter What He Does"

PruePhillip

While 75% of white evangelicals approve of Trump’s performance in office, 31% of them say there’s literally nothing he could do to lose their support. He really could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue without it making a difference to his base."

They could switch. It would mean that the Republicans put up a half decent, moderate,
pro-American candidate that speaks to conservative America in a more appealing way
than Trump does.
To these people the alternative is staring them in the face - an ever more radical and
left-wing Democrat party.

sealchan

Something that goes right to the heart of the White Evangelical mindset.

"The researchers at the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) just released their 2019 American Values Survey, and there’s one graph in particular that says so much about the state of religion in this country. It concerns how various religious groups see Donald Trump: Do they like him? And could he do anything to change their minds?

It’s not surprising that white evangelicals overwhelmingly support him. They don’t care about — or are willing to overlook — his affairs, scandals, inhumanity, ignorance, racism, and blatant pandering. It’s also not a shock that non-religious people and Black Protestants mostly disapprove of him.

But look at the far ends of the bars. They represent whether those groups are open to changing their minds.

PRRIAVSTrumpReligion3.png
While 75% of white evangelicals approve of Trump’s performance in office, 31% of them say there’s literally nothing he could do to lose their support. He really could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue without it making a difference to his base."
source

Clinton had it half right...they may be a basket of deplorables but they are our deplorables and we should forgive them when we can do so without being too conflicted emotionally.

PruePhillip

Clinton had it half right...they may be a basket of deplorables but they are our deplorables and we should forgive them when we can do so without being too conflicted emotionally.

I am not American but my relatives came out of that America of the 1940's
and 1950's. It was a vibrant, confident, more moral, growing nation that
most other nations looked up to. Instead of being a "can do" nation it has
now become a "can't do" nation.
America comes across now as a drug addled and dispirited nation.

Perhaps these "deplorables" were onto something.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

The American Civil War took place only 100 years before Flower Power.
Flower Power was 50 years ago.

A lot happens in a very short time. It just seems like a long time on a day by day level.

Flower Power. Sexual liberation and feminism. Greed Plus Anger Equals Success. Desert Storm. Russia and China turn capitalist. 9/11 . The War Against Terror. Mass killings every day. Trump....

Next ?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
It’s not surprising that white evangelicals overwhelmingly support him. They don’t care about — or are willing to overlook — his affairs, scandals, inhumanity, ignorance, racism, and blatant pandering. It’s also not a shock that non-religious people and Black Protestants mostly disapprove of him.
Hypothetical: Anti Christ will come

Anti Christ might look like D.Trump

Evangelicals might choose Anti Christ?

sealchan

I think something got seriously lost across the intervening generations. Probably Civil Rights, the Sexual Revolution, having an African American for president and #MeToo knocked the can do out of those who couldnt keep up with the progress of moral change.

And remember it was mostly white men enjoying that vibrancy while gays, blacks and Jews got lynched if they got too uppity.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They love Jesus but support a man who acts completely opposite of him.
Which would indicate that they actually don't follow Jesus. That's like saying you follow Mahatma Gandhi, will saluting the Nazi flag. I make a distinction between being a Christian, and being a Jesucan, which is a Republican with a Jesus-Brand T-Shirt on to show solidarity with your fellow conservatives.Those are radically different creatures, holding to completely opposite values-spheres. "By their fruits you shall know them," not by their rhetoric.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Authoritarian submission is one leg of the authoritarian triad. It includes an extreme reluctance to question or criticize perceived authorities.
This is Trump's base.

PruePhillip

I think something got seriously lost across the intervening generations. Probably Civil Rights, the Sexual Revolution, having an African American for president and #MeToo knocked the can do out of those who couldnt keep up with the progress of moral change.

And remember it was mostly white men enjoying that vibrancy while gays, blacks and Jews got lynched if they got too uppity.

Whenever I hear someone say "white" I know I am talking to a racist.
I have been watching this "moral change" since the 1960's. I have
documented some of the Gallup Poll stats in my profile below.

It's interesting that the Vietnam war was the last time America fought
a war against a "Godless" enemy. These days it's America who is
Godless. I wonder if the Americans who fought Japan and Germany,
those who would be our grandparents probably, would have actually
fought the America we see today, had they been transported to our
day? It's utterly impossible, but an interesting thought experiment.

74x12

"The researchers at the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) just released their 2019 American Values Survey, and there’s one graph in particular that says so much about the state of religion in this country. It concerns how various religious groups see Donald Trump: Do they like him? And could he do anything to change their minds?

But look at the far ends of the bars. They represent whether those groups are open to changing their minds.

source

To be fair to these Trump supporters (which I am not one) the reason they will support trump no matter what is because they believe Trump's opponents and the liberal biased media will make up false accusations.

So it's more of a lack of trust rather than people just supporting Trump no matter what he does.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
It's utterly impossible, but an interesting thought experiment.

Ive been remembering a ‘thought experiment’ from Philip K Dick.

From Wikipedia -

“The Simulacra is a 1964 science fiction novel by American writer Philip K. Dick. The novel portrays a future totalitarian society apparently dominated by a matriarch, Nicole Thibodeaux. It revolves around the themes of reality and illusionary beliefs, as do many of Dick's works. Additionally, it touches on Nazi ideology.

Dick originally published the story as a novelette in the magazine Fantastic, titled "The Novelty Act". He expanded the plot and titled the novel First Lady of Earth.[1] Before publication, the title was changed to The Simulacra. The novel was originally published in 1964 as a paperback by Ace Books.[2] It was one of four novels released by Dick that year.[3]

Set in the middle of the twenty-first century, after World War Three, The Simulacra is the story of several protagonists within the United States of Europe and America (USEA), formed by the merger of (West) Germany and the United States,[4] where the whole government is a fraud and the President (der Alte, "the Old Man") is a simulacrum (android). Other global superpowers are the French Empire, People's Republic of China and Free (Black) Africa. The war may have involved tactical nuclear weapons. Poland has become the global focus of communist authority, with its administrative centre in Warsaw.

Society is stratified into 'Ges' (German Geheimnisträger, "bearers of the secret" (the elite)) and 'Bes' (German Befehlsträger, "implementers of instruction" (professional and artisanal)) classes. Political and broadcast media power are highly consolidated. The Democratic and Republicanparties have merged to become the 'Democrat-Republican Party' and the networks have amalgamated into the 'United Triadic Network'. “

wellwisher

The main reason the evangelicals follow Trump can be summarized n two words, collusion delusion. Does everyone remember the collusion delusion? That was when the Democrats and their allies in fake news, lied to the American people and cheated them for two years, only to have it backfire. The fact that Trump survived this all out assault, and still got things done, says lot about the character of the man. There is a saying in the bible that God rules the realm of mankind and gives it to whomever he wishes.

Maybe the poll should be, how many Democrats still believe in their lying and cheating leadership, even though they lied to you with promises they did not keep, for over two years, via the collusion delusion scam? They are still lying and cheating behind closed doors, yet their base does not wake up and leave them. Once again the Democrats are projecting their own behavior in this poll. Why are you sticking by a group of losing con artists?

Evangelicals believe in truth and they realized how much evil there is in the Democrat party. Trump is their chosen one to combat the evil hoard. He is preparing his counter offensive. Trump has already set the Globalists Democrats back a decade or more and is peeling away the minority vote as we speak. This realization has the evil hoard in desperation mode.

The IG report is about to come out, maybe this week. There is a lot of pressure on the Democrats and they are about to crack. The pressure has already claimed victims; Biden and Cummings. Trump jabbed easily and still that was enough to knock them out of the game.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

source

The title constructs something easy to get all frightened about,
but consider this....
Their approval of anything he'd do would be based upon what they
expect him to do....not everything terrible you'd imagine possible.

sealchan

Whenever I hear someone say "white" I know I am talking to a racist.
I have been watching this "moral change" since the 1960's. I have
documented some of the Gallup Poll stats in my profile below.

It's interesting that the Vietnam war was the last time America fought
a war against a "Godless" enemy. These days it's America who is
Godless. I wonder if the Americans who fought Japan and Germany,
those who would be our grandparents probably, would have actually
fought the America we see today, had they been transported to our
day? It's utterly impossible, but an interesting thought experiment.

The people who fought in World War II were less interested in eradicating racism than they were in striking back at an invasion of our country. The war in the pacific was much more urgent due to "those Nips" having invaded US soil than the war in Europe where Hitler was more a problem as an enemy of democracy than a racist committing genocide against the Jews.

So I think many of the brave soldiers of WWII would look at America today and see a peaceful invasion/integration of the world and respond in the style of the two camps we see today.