• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 in 10 people in America now religiously unaffiliated

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
"1/3 of the stars fell to Earth." I'm kidding.

This 1/3 unaffiliated means that change is happening. I think we should look at it as a positive thing. I don't think they are lost. I think they are reforming -- but that's just me. What I think.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Affiliated is an important notion.
I guess most people kinda believe in some deity but don't consider themselves a member of a particular church/religion.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Organized religion has turned people off, which I totally get.
It's not about organized religion exactly, it's being affiliated with a religion. You can identify as a Christian with out being part of an organization that tells you what to believe. To me it's about materialism overtaking spirituality. Of course you can be spiritual but not religious as so many people here are.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's not about organized religion exactly, it's being affiliated with a religion. You can identify as a Christian with out being part of an organization that tells you what to believe. To me it's about materialism overtaking spirituality. Of course you can be spiritual but not religious as so many people here are.

Materialism in what way?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Being attached to this material world primarily. Also it is a philosophy that nothing exists except the material world. The latter helps lead to the former.

Oh, okay. I find many Christians being too attached to the afterlife and don't focus on this life, i.e., being good to people, animals and the environment, or saying it's okay to suffer now, but get saved so you can go to heaven. I guess there are all kinds.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Oh, okay. I find many Christians being too attached to the afterlife and don't focus on this life, i.e., being good to people, animals and the environment, or saying it's okay to suffer now, but get saved so you can go to heaven. I guess there are all kinds.
Yes, that's another form of attachment. Another is attachment to the kingdom of names. What that means in affect is being attached to your reputation as a good person, attached to your esteem in your own intellect, etc.