• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 dead, 6 injured in Michigan high school shooting; 15-year-old suspect in custody, authorities say

F1fan

Veteran Member
You are projecting. I'm all for solving the problem of why someone goes off the rails and kills randomly. It defies logic. I think the answer is there's real evil in this world and we try to fix it with pills and talk. How to stop it? Man has wrestled with that question for thosands of years.
Research reveals that people don't just "snap" or go off the rails. People who end up doing horrific acts leave a trail of red flags and clues. The kid who killed his classmates last week is a prime example of how parents ignored and dismissed serious signs of a troubled mind.

In psychology the word "evil" isn't used. There are definitions and descriptions for antisocial minds. I asked another poster earlier why conservatives can't admit the USA has a gun problem, and that also applies to any person. We have a bad habit of not looking at signs that a person poses a threat to others. Liberty is important to the American ideal, but then so is social order and safety. If the USA had better access to mental health services, and there wasn't a stigma for it, we would surely have fewer problems of violence.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We already have the equivalent of a drivers license to own a gun. I can't buy one if I'm a felon or fail a basic background check.
"We"? Afaik the US has no uniform, universal background check.
And if it has, it doesn't seem to work. Guns still end up in hands where they shouldn't be.

Suave

Simulated character
It could be useful if found reliable.
But it doesn't replace secure storage because
it could be more easily stolen & defeated.

"RFID chips are already used in a number of smart guns, like the Armatix iP1 pistol and the iGun. They are unlocked when a user wearing a wristband or ring picks them up.

Graafstra’s smart gun is a modification of an ordinary firearm, however, adapted to unlock when in contact with his implants.

Smart gun technology has been criticized for being unreliable, particularly in the case of an emergency.

Graafstra’s embedded chip would, in theory, not have these issues. The chip would be implanted under the skin between the thumb and forefinger. When a gun user picks up their weapon, the gun would unlock only for the person with the implant."

World’s first implant-activated smart gun has arrived

The World's First Implant-Activated Smart Gun

F1fan

Veteran Member
That's all any of us have for goals & methods.
Maybe up til about 5,000 years ago. Then we decided to start making rules to govern our social groups. Some are pretty damn strict. Have you read the Old Testament? Damn, brutal.

If the USA is going to allow more liberties we'd better start educating the young, and be dedicated to fostering maturity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"RFID chips are already used in a number of smart guns, like the Armatix iP1 pistol and the iGun. They are unlocked when a user wearing a wristband or ring picks them up.

Graafstra’s smart gun is a modification of an ordinary firearm, however, adapted to unlock when in contact with his implants.

Smart gun technology has been criticized for being unreliable, particularly in the case of an emergency.

Graafstra’s embedded chip would, in theory, not have these issues. The chip would be implanted under the skin between the thumb and forefinger. When a gun user picks up their weapon, the gun would unlock only for the person with the implant."

World’s first implant-activated smart gun has arrived

The World's First Implant-Activated Smart Gun

I prefer the KISS method.
All mechanical handgun in an all mechanical safe.
Both work century after century.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe up til about 5,000 years ago. Then we decided to start making rules to govern our social groups. Some are pretty damn strict. Have you read the Old Testament? Damn, brutal.

If the USA is going to allow more liberties we'd better start educating the young, and be dedicated to fostering maturity.
We each still have our preferences....not "The Truth".

Suave

Simulated character
I prefer the KISS method.
All mechanical handgun in an all mechanical safe.
Both work century after century.
Agreed. I also like the Keep it Simple Solution whereby a gun owner gets an RFID microchip implant in their shooting hand that wirelessly links to an RFID reader in their gun enabling only the gun owner being able to activate their firearm.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Agreed. I also like the Keep it Simple Solution whereby a gun owner gets an RFID microchip implant in their shooting hand that wirelessly links to an RFID reader in their gun enabling only the gun owner being able to activate their firearm.
Maybe we should just go back to flintlocks. God ole 2nd Amendment era technology.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A good choice for you.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Research reveals that people don't just "snap" or go off the rails. People who end up doing horrific acts leave a trail of red flags and clues. The kid who killed his classmates last week is a prime example of how parents ignored and dismissed serious signs of a troubled mind.

In psychology the word "evil" isn't used. There are definitions and descriptions for antisocial minds. I asked another poster earlier why conservatives can't admit the USA has a gun problem, and that also applies to any person. We have a bad habit of not looking at signs that a person poses a threat to others. Liberty is important to the American ideal, but then so is social order and safety. If the USA had better access to mental health services, and there wasn't a stigma for it, we would surely have fewer problems of violence.
We don't have access to mental health services? How do you figure that?
And not calling evil what it is isn't helping us. People seem to kill to get noticed. I suggest we do the opposite. Don't make them known. We have a whole culture that encourages hate. We have music that encourages killing cops and rivals.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Nothing simple about that. And technology can always be hacked anyway.