• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 dead, 6 injured in Michigan high school shooting; 15-year-old suspect in custody, authorities say

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Part of the problem is that republicans don't like massive changes in gun law. they are more likely to compromise on some small series of baby steps that don't look as bad to constituents. The dilemma is the cobbling together of laws that are still not very effective.
Democrats are also a problem. They just don't
appear to pursue useful regulations.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Democrats are also a problem. They just don't
appear to pursue useful regulations.
Well from what I observe Democrats know they can't get what they want given the strong, fervent pushback by republicans. Democrats do tend to present very moderate legislation. It often appears very leftist because the right is so FAR right that the middle has been sucked into their void.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well from what I observe Democrats know they can't get what they want given the strong, fervent pushback by republicans. Democrats do tend to present very moderate legislation. It often appears very leftist because the right is so FAR right that the middle has been sucked into their void.
If Democrats push bad regulation, they shouldn't
expect cooperation from the other side.

Suave

Simulated character
It all depends upon how the justices feel.
The law can be bent to mean whatever they want.
Perhaps then, please let us consider electing a Democratic controlled Congress who'd promptly pack the SCOTUS with Justices ruling in favor of effective gun control measures resulting in fewer deaths by mass shootings.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps then, please let us consider electing a Democratic controlled Congress who'd promptly pack the SCOTUS with Justices ruling in favor of effective gun control measures resulting in fewer deaths by mass shootings.
I'm not a fan of single party government.
Nor do I have any confidence in Dems creating useful
gun control. I remember Clinton's ridiculous bill.
So it should be about the individual...not the party.

Suave

Simulated character
I'm not a fan of single party government.
Nor do I have any confidence in Dems creating useful
gun control. I remember Clinton's ridiculous bill.
So it should be about the individual...not the party.
Perhaps we could agree with the National Fire Arms Act of 1934 enacted by President Franklin Roosevelt and the Democratic controlled Congress that resulted in effectively getting rid of the private ownership of fully automatic firearms among the masses. Perhaps, we should consider this sort of gun control measure such as a hefty tax and national registry imposed on the private ownership of firearms with high capacity magazines resulting in these high load firearms being economically impractical to be lawfully possessed by almost any private owner..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps we could agree with the National Fire Arms Act of 1934 enacted by Roosevelt and the Democratic controlled Congress that resulted in effectively getting rid of the private ownership of fully automatic firearms among the masses. Perhaps, we should consider this sort of gun control measure such as a hefty tax and national registry imposed on the private ownership of firearms with high capacity magazines resulting in these high load firearms being economically impractical to be lawfully possessed by almost any private owner..
I see that as something to placate the masses,
but not accomplishing anything. The shooters
simply use smaller mags, but more of them.
Instead, have storage requirements that keep
certain kinds guns out of the hands of kids unless
directly supervised. Add to that far better mental
health services for troubled people.

Suave

Simulated character
I see that as something to placate the masses,
but not accomplishing anything. The shooters
simply use smaller mags, but more of them.
Instead, have storage requirements that keep
certain kinds guns out of the hands of kids unless
directly supervised. Add to that far better mental
health services for troubled people.
If lives are spared from getting massacred by a mass shooter being distracted or disrupted by having to switch out mags,, then I'm all for mag capacity limitations.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If lives are spared from getting massacred by a mass shooter being distracted or disrupted by having to switch out mags,, then I'm all for mag capacity limitations.
That strikes me as a feel good law....not one
designed to have any real positive effect.
People focus upon magazine size, but they
should be focusing upon the shooter.
It's about access & mental state.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Perhaps we could agree with the National Fire Arms Act of 1934 enacted by President Franklin Roosevelt and the Democratic controlled Congress that resulted in effectively getting rid of the private ownership of fully automatic firearms among the masses. Perhaps, we should consider this sort of gun control measure such as a hefty tax and national registry imposed on the private ownership of firearms with high capacity magazines resulting in these high load firearms being economically impractical to be lawfully possessed by almost any private owner..
Well gun buyers can still own machine guns if they get a Class 3 license from the BATF.

I suggest a similar requirement where a person who wants a semi-auto rifle needs to file an application for a license and get screened by local authorities.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Having been a gun dealer I think it would help to put in place multiple steps to acquire the type of guns most used in mass shootings. Those who enjoy guns for sport won't mind too much. I think any paperwork and process that makes an unstable person uneasy about applying for a gun will help weed out these people without infringing on rights.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
What about the 6 dead, 40+ injured in the parade rampage caused by Darrell Brooks?

Must there be stricter automobile laws put in place and must the killing machine weapon of war known as the SUV be banned from public use?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Having been a gun dealer I think it would help to put in place multiple steps to acquire the type of guns most used in mass shootings. Those who enjoy guns for sport won't mind too much. I think any paperwork and process that makes an unstable person uneasy about applying for a gun will help weed out these people without infringing on rights.
I prefer requiring secure storage with strict regulation
over possession. Also much more training...I see
too many people with poor safety habits.

Suave

Simulated character

States which had banned high-capacity magazines had a substantially lower incidence of mass shootings, as well as far fewer fatalities in mass shootings. .

Klarevas, Louis; Conner, Andrew; Hemenway, David (2019-10-17). "The Effect of Large-Capacity Magazine Bans on High-Fatality Mass Shootings, 1990–2017". American Journal of Public Health. 109 (12): e1–e8. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2019.305311. ISSN 0090-0036. PMC 6836798. PMID 31622147.

New Research on Mass Shootings: Banning Large-Capacity Magazines Substantially Lowers Fatalities

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What about the 6 dead, 40+ injured in the parade rampage caused by Darrell Brooks?

Must there be stricter automobile laws put in place and must the killing machine weapon of war known as the SUV be banned from public use?
He had just tried to kill someone, & had posted on social
media wanting to assault old white people. Yet he was
released on $1000 bail. He should've been detained.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
States which had banned high-capacity magazines had a substantially lower incidence of mass shootings, as well as far fewer fatalities in mass shootings. .

Klarevas, Louis; Conner, Andrew; Hemenway, David (2019-10-17). "The Effect of Large-Capacity Magazine Bans on H

Klarevas, Louis; Conner, Andrew; Hemenway, David (2019-10-17). "The Effect of Large-Capacity Magazine Bans on High-Fatality Mass Shootings, 1990–2017"

igh-Fatality Mass Shootings, 1990–2017"
. American Journal of Public Health. 109 (12): e1–e8. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2019.305311. ISSN 0090-0036. PMC 6836798. PMID 31622147.

New Research on Mass Shootings: Banning Large-Capacity Magazines Substantially Lowers Fatalities
This is hard to analyze. Clinton band large cap mags,
but they were still available (based upon date of
manufacture). What does "ban" mean for the various
states & cities?
Gun control measures that are highly local have
effects corrupted by availability from environs
with less restriction.