• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3.5 trillion?

Jeremiah Ames

Is 3.5 trillion dollars a lot to spend to take care of many many many national needs in one massive comprehensive program?

Let’s compare that to what is spent on the military?
The most recent “defense” budget is around $753 billion.
The 3.5 trillion reconciliation bill would move the US a single baby step closer to providing for the country’s citizens similar to most advanced societies. A baby step. And it’s a 10 year plan.
Therefore, 3.5 trillion over 10 years is, I suppose, $350 billion a year.
That’s LESS THAN HALF the existing budget for one item. The “defense” budget.
And instead of all that money used to bully the world and bomb and kill people in MUCH weaker countries, we could spend a little for the benefit of the nation.
Maybe it’s time to take care of the US workers, the sick, the poor, the homeless, the elderly; and stop trying to control the planet for selfish reasons.

Does the 3.5 trillion dollar bill still look too big?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is 3.5 trillion dollars a lot to spend to take care of many many many national needs in one massive comprehensive program?

The 3.5 trillion reconciliation bill would move the US a single baby step closer to providing for the country’s citizens similar to most advanced societies. A baby step. And it’s a 10 year plan.
And instead of all that money used to bully the world and bomb and kill people in MUCH weaker countries, we could spend a little for the benefit of the nation.
Maybe it’s time to take care of the US workers, the sick, the poor, the homeless, the elderly; and stop trying to control the planet for selfish reasons.

But what if you like blowing up bombs and killing people:(

Seriously well said. There is a dire need to improve infrastructure. When it fails it costs even more in repairs and lost jobs and production. For too long we have spent more on policing the world than we need to. It is time to share that duty with others. And force does not seem to be a very good answer. Just look at all of the money wasted in Afghanistan. The pullout was one of the few right things that Trump started. It got messy at the end, but that is the way of those things.

Suave

Simulated character

If Biden's Build Back Better plan gets enacted, I'm confident there will be less poverty, more prosperity, stronger family ties, less crime, net zero carbon emissions along with less severe as well as less frequent climate change devastation. I'd like the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share of taxes in order to fund the cost of much needed Medicaid or Medicare expansion, tuition free college , child care assistance or elderly care assistance, paid family leave, low-income housing improvements, child tax credits, renewable clean energy tax credits, infrastructure improvements, and renewable clean energy research and development programs.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

It depends on what the money eventually gets spent on. It depends on whether anything actually gets fixed.
I learned long ago that throwing money at a problem is no guarantee of that problem getting fixed. If fact it is just as likely to make it worse because no one bothers with an actual solution. To busy spending the money usually.

Great for my brother in law though, being a Federal contractor. He makes millions from these contracts. I suppose this means he gets to ask for more this year.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It depends on what the money eventually gets spent on. It depends on whether anything actually gets fixed.
Does it? The US military gets twice that budget and nobody is auditing them for all the things they "fixed" in Afghanistan, or are they?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Does it? The US military gets twice that budget and nobody is auditing them for all the things they "fixed" in Afghanistan, or are they?

Don't really agree with that spending either.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Don't really agree with that spending either.
It's not exactly treated as controversial in US media, is it?

So most Americans seem to be fine with throwing trillions of dollars down a black hole that only creates death and suffering.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's not exactly treated as controversial in US media, is it?

So most Americans seem to be fine with throwing trillions of dollars down a black hole that only creates death and suffering.

Supports a lot of business interests.
I heard that ex-military people get jobs in the arms industry so the can use their military contacts to help get contracts.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
And instead of all that money used to bully the world and bomb and kill people in MUCH weaker countries, we could spend a little for the benefit of the nation

From what I heard, a very high 'defense' budget is a good thing because lots of people will have the opportunity to be employed in the military. Additionally, I also heard that without much of a defense, major countries that aren't European will want to invade the US and conquer it.

By the way, I wish Nepal would conquer my region. I want to see lots of temples everywhere.

Jeremiah Ames

From what I heard, a very high 'defense' budget is a good thing because lots of people will have the opportunity to be employed in the military. Additionally, I also heard that without much of a defense, major countries that aren't European will want to invade the US and conquer it.

By the way, I wish Nepal would conquer my region. I want to see lots of temples everywhere.
My only concern is the massive and powerful evil within the US.

Nothing outside can compare.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Neither of those statements are factual.
Government money can indeed drive up employment...but spending it on infrastructure is more effective than defence spending.

US military spending outstrips the spending of the next ten countries combined.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm sure Canada and Mexico have been waiting for that opportunity for a long time.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I'm sure Canada and Mexico have been waiting for that opportunity for a long time.

Canada wants to conquer the US, make us subject to King George again, censor our free speech, and instill French values upon us. Mexico, of course, wants to put us under the authority of the Roman Pontiff and give everybody's homes to illegals. Either of these can be stopped if we would just listen to Glenn Beck.

All of this is sarcasm, by the way. :yum:

esmith

Veteran Member
All the military was doing was following the direction of the civilain leaders....you know just like Vietnam.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If people only knew what 3.5 trillion physically looks like.

This is what the next generation will have to pay for in addition to all the new problems that are created.

Brinne

Investing in the country is never a wasted expense. Austerity measures are a sure fire way to see we never recover from all of the economic ailments we face.

Plenty like to scoff at infrastructure investments without realizing just how behind we are - and how that being behind translates to loss of profit and lower quality of life.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
All the military was doing was following the direction of the civilain leaders....you know just like Vietnam.
How does that in any way adress the point that the military receives a budget that dwarves even the most megalomaniacal of infrastructure programs?

Jeremiah Ames

If people only knew what 3.5 trillion physically looks like.

This is what the next generation will have to pay for in addition to all the new problems that are created.
Actually, that’s not quite the whole truth.

They will have to pay far far far far more than that.

Including the $8,000,000,000,000 that trump gave away to billionaires.

Now, that’s a truly large amount of money wasted.