• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 million dogs eaten a year

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
China seems to have a rather sociopathic culture when it comes to empathy toward living things, including each other. The way they prepare animals for consumption is cruel and barbaric, dog or otherwise. They're often still alive and conscious when getting skinned, gutted, butchered, boiled, etc. There have also been numerous cases where someone would be seriously injured/medical emergency in public (such as a child hit by a car or an elderly man suffering a heart attack), and passersby would completely ignore them, leaving the victims to slowly expire.
This is very true. I was just thinking the same.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hey, guess what country has a history of eating pigs, cows and chickens.

Why are Americans so caught up on what other nationalities eat. Think about that for a second.
I'm not hung up on it. I just wouldn't be able to do it. And I feel sorry for the animals we eat here in America as well.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The only meat I buy is beef jerky and sardines. If I could single-handedly do away with slaughterhouses I would though.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat a dog. Why is it more gross to eat a dog then a cow/bull?

"Dog meat
is the flesh and other edible parts derived from dogs. Historically, human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world.[2] In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in some regions in China,[3]South Korea,[4] Vietnam,[5] and Nigeria[6]and it is still eaten or is legal to be eaten in other countries throughout the world. Some cultures view the consumption of dog meat as part of their traditional, ritualistic, or day-to-day cuisine, while other cultures consider consumption of dog meat a taboo, even where it had been consumed in the past.[7][8] It was estimated in 2014 that worldwide, 25 million dogs are eaten each year by humans.[9]"
Dog meat - Wikipedia

Disturbing image of China's dog festival.

Ick! And sad! :(
Wow! I’d have to be mighty hungry!

Cooky

Veteran Member
Eating dogs is pretty disturbing.

One time, when I was a young teen I unfortunately watched a documentary called Faces of Death, where they showed a restaurant somewhere (probably in Asia), where in the middle of the table, there was a hole just big enough for monkeys head, while his arms and body stayed below.

...Well, everyone took turns clocking him on the head with a hammer until finally his brains were exposed. Then they ate his brains.

Of all the parts in that movie, that one I just can't forget. How cruel. What kind of person does that kind of thing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

One time, when I was a young teen I unfortunately watched a documentary called Faces of Death, where they showed a restaurant somewhere (probably in Asia), where in the middle of the table, there was a hole just big enough for monkeys head, while his arms and body stayed below.

...Well, everyone took turns clocking him on the head with a hammer until finally his brains were exposed. Then they ate his brains.

Of all the parts in that movie, that one I just can't forget. How cruel. What kind of person does that kind of thing?
I just heard an interview with the guy who made that movie.
He said it was a pretend documentary.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Not sure how people in the U.S. could oppose eating dog, Native Americans were eating dog long before the Europeans came and the Europeans still eat horse in some places.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wouldn't put it past someone to do that. Mankind has a history of treating other human beings worse than that.
Be cautious about viewing the world thru the lens of movies.
They're all either fiction or agenda laden.
I heard that this Onion piece was believed, & caused howls of protest.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

You should be relieved to know that the "monkey brain" scene was faked, as was much of that series.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The only meat I buy is beef jerky and sardines. If I could single-handedly do away with slaughterhouses I would though.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat a dog. Why is it more gross to eat a dog then a cow/bull?

"Dog meat
is the flesh and other edible parts derived from dogs. Historically, human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world.[2] In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in some regions in China,[3]South Korea,[4] Vietnam,[5] and Nigeria[6]and it is still eaten or is legal to be eaten in other countries throughout the world. Some cultures view the consumption of dog meat as part of their traditional, ritualistic, or day-to-day cuisine, while other cultures consider consumption of dog meat a taboo, even where it had been consumed in the past.[7][8] It was estimated in 2014 that worldwide, 25 million dogs are eaten each year by humans.[9]"
Dog meat - Wikipedia

Disturbing image of China's dog festival.

Ick! And sad! :(

Reminds me of this scene:

I ate a couple of chili cheese dogs the other day. Good stuff.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thanks.

Basically what Father Heathen said in reply to that. I personally view eating dogs as disgusting as humans did not domesticate them as livestock and we have a bond with dogs unlike any the bond we have with any other species. But I know humans are also animals and we are opportunistic eaters. We'll eat anything edible. We'll even eat each other at times. Lol. But besides my disgust over their choice of meat, the larger problem is definitely their treatment. There's lots of footage of them killing them in very cruel ways in full view of each other. You don't slaughter animals in front of each other as it stresses them out, for obvious reasons. Temple Grandin develops ideas for more humane slaughterhouses, for example.
Yes, meat eaters have a moral duty to kill humanely. And yes I do eat meat and try to live by that rule. I grew up on a farm and we not only raised our own cattle, but I would go hunting as well. Wounding an animal is the worst thing one can do when hunting.

And welcome back Franky!

suncowiam

In our culture dogs are viewed as being loyal companions, of course. From that perspective killing and eating them seems like a heartless betrayal. (regarding cats though, I say "Bon appétit!" ;)) For me, it's not so much what they're eating, but how they treat and prepare what they're eating. In the west we at least pretend to be humane.

Thanks.

Basically what Father Heathen said in reply to that. I personally view eating dogs as disgusting as humans did not domesticate them as livestock and we have a bond with dogs unlike any the bond we have with any other species. But I know humans are also animals and we are opportunistic eaters. We'll eat anything edible. We'll even eat each other at times. Lol. But besides my disgust over their choice of meat, the larger problem is definitely their treatment. There's lots of footage of them killing them in very cruel ways in full view of each other. You don't slaughter animals in front of each other as it stresses them out, for obvious reasons. Temple Grandin develops ideas for more humane slaughterhouses, for example.

I'm not hung up on it. I just wouldn't be able to do it. And I feel sorry for the animals we eat here in America as well.

IMO, just because we kill animals in a manner that soozes our guilt doesn't make the killing any less killing. People don't kill animals for enjoyment. The Chinese are not doing it for their enjoyment unless you consider fine dining a form of enjoyment then we're all basically killing animals for enjoyment.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
IMO, just because we kill animals in a manner that soozes our guilt doesn't make the killing any less killing. People don't kill animals for enjoyment. The Chinese are not doing it for their enjoyment unless you consider fine dining a form of enjoyment then we're all basically killing animals for enjoyment.
You really think that humane slaughter is just about our guilt? There's no difference between using a bolt gun or skinning and gutting an animal while they're alive or beating them to death in your mind?