• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

25 million dogs eaten a year

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The only meat I buy is beef jerky and sardines. If I could single-handedly do away with slaughterhouses I would though.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat a dog. Why is it more gross to eat a dog then a cow/bull?

"Dog meat
is the flesh and other edible parts derived from dogs. Historically, human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world.[2] In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in some regions in China,[3]South Korea,[4] Vietnam,[5] and Nigeria[6]and it is still eaten or is legal to be eaten in other countries throughout the world. Some cultures view the consumption of dog meat as part of their traditional, ritualistic, or day-to-day cuisine, while other cultures consider consumption of dog meat a taboo, even where it had been consumed in the past.[7][8] It was estimated in 2014 that worldwide, 25 million dogs are eaten each year by humans.[9]"
Dog meat - Wikipedia

Disturbing image of China's dog festival.
eVkeidgZOJ.jpg
full_col_4_edited.jpg
images (53).jpeg

Ick! And sad! :(

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm not in any way saying that very many Chinese actually do this however, but China has a dog eating history.

I'm not saying that is part of Chinese culture though.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I've just been to China, not a clue what I was eating at times. It could have been sweet and sour dog??

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The only meat I buy is beef jerky and sardines. If I could single-handedly do away with slaughterhouses I would though.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat a dog. Why is it more gross to eat a dog then a cow/bull?

"Dog meat
is the flesh and other edible parts derived from dogs. Historically, human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world.[2] In the 21st century, dog meat is consumed in some regions in China,[3]South Korea,[4] Vietnam,[5] and Nigeria[6]and it is still eaten or is legal to be eaten in other countries throughout the world. Some cultures view the consumption of dog meat as part of their traditional, ritualistic, or day-to-day cuisine, while other cultures consider consumption of dog meat a taboo, even where it had been consumed in the past.[7][8] It was estimated in 2014 that worldwide, 25 million dogs are eaten each year by humans.[9]"
Dog meat - Wikipedia

Disturbing image of China's dog festival.

Ick! And sad! :(

You do realize that jerky came from animal that was processed through a slaughterhouse? Also, those sardines didn't just jump into that can. I would advise anyone to quit being so squeamish and eat the damn steak.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
You do realize that jerky came from animal that was processed through a slaughterhouse? Also, those sardines didn't just jump into that can. I would advise anyone to quit being so squeamish and eat the damn steak.
Yes, I admit that I eat meat. but the meat is already dead whether I eat it or it goes in the trash.

if by boycotting meats, I could do away with slaughterhouses, I would avoid meat. However, I don't think my purchasing meat is in anyway saving or endangering any animals.

The animal was raised in a torturous environment and butchered regardless of whether it does or does not enter my belly.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
HOLY COW!!! :eek:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Yeah, the dog meat trade in China is pretty disgusting. Those dogs are often strays or stolen pets and are killed in very brutal and sadistic ways (beaten to death in front of each other and so on).

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
China seems to have a rather sociopathic culture when it comes to empathy toward living things, including each other. The way they prepare animals for consumption is cruel and barbaric, dog or otherwise. They're often still alive and conscious when getting skinned, gutted, butchered, boiled, etc. There have also been numerous cases where someone would be seriously injured/medical emergency in public (such as a child hit by a car or an elderly man suffering a heart attack), and passersby would completely ignore them, leaving the victims to slowly expire.

suncowiam

I'm not in any way saying that very many Chinese actually do this however, but China has a dog eating history.

Hey, guess what country has a history of eating pigs, cows and chickens.

Why are Americans so caught up on what other nationalities eat. Think about that for a second.

suncowiam

Yeah, the dog meat trade in China is pretty disgusting. Those dogs are often strays or stolen pets and are killed in very brutal and sadistic ways (beaten to death in front of each other and so on).

Welcome back!

Not sure where you've gone!

But you're fine if people eat dogs in an "ethical" manner?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hey, guess what country has a history of eating pigs, cows and chickens.

Why are Americans so caught up on what other nationalities eat. Think about that for a second.

In our culture dogs are viewed as being loyal companions, of course. From that perspective killing and eating them seems like a heartless betrayal. (regarding cats though, I say "Bon appétit!" ;)) For me, it's not so much what they're eating, but how they treat and prepare what they're eating. In the west we at least pretend to be humane.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Many Chinese actually do this, and most Koreans eat dog, particularly in the northeast China and Korea. When I lived in Shenyang, China there was a particular town nearby that was devoted to raising and selling dogs. You could by you pet, guard dog or dinner. The meat markets and many restaurant in Shenyang had dog available.

On memorable story is I used to take the new foreigners shopping, because I new Chinese. We passed a restaurant with a series of German Shepard photos of Rin Tin Tin, and the question was; Why this sign over the restaurant?

What is the problem with eating dog? It is only a cultural thing on one's chose of food.

Donkeys, horses. cats and dogs are commonly eaten in different part of Europe.

From: https://www.google.com/search?q=Eur...ome..69i57.10437j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Cat meat even features prominently on Christmas menus in some parts ofSwitzerland, Tomek said, while dog meat is also used to make sausages. “It is an old tradition in Switzerland to eat dog meat like sausages and use dog fat for rheumatism,” she said. “They eat cats because they taste like rabbits.”

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Welcome back!

Not sure where you've gone!

But you're fine if people eat dogs in an "ethical" manner?
Thanks.

Basically what Father Heathen said in reply to that. I personally view eating dogs as disgusting as humans did not domesticate them as livestock and we have a bond with dogs unlike any the bond we have with any other species. But I know humans are also animals and we are opportunistic eaters. We'll eat anything edible. We'll even eat each other at times. Lol. But besides my disgust over their choice of meat, the larger problem is definitely their treatment. There's lots of footage of them killing them in very cruel ways in full view of each other. You don't slaughter animals in front of each other as it stresses them out, for obvious reasons. Temple Grandin develops ideas for more humane slaughterhouses, for example.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
China seems to have a rather sociopathic culture when it comes to empathy toward living things, including each other. The way they prepare animals for consumption is cruel and barbaric, dog or otherwise. They're often still alive and conscious when getting skinned, gutted, butchered, boiled, etc. There have also been numerous cases where someone would be seriously injured/medical emergency in public (such as a child hit by a car or an elderly man suffering a heart attack), and passersby would completely ignore them, leaving the victims to slowly expire.
Sounds like NYC.
Dying Good Samaritan Ignored: City Living?