• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

21 day mantra recital

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am currently reciting a small sloka from Narayaneeyam 1008 times a day for good health of a close relative.

The problem is it takes 2 1/2 hrs to recite this each day.

Afterabout 12 days now, I'm feeling worn out having to recite this mantra for so long everyday and thinking of winding up my chant at day 21 (9 more days).

Is it ok to do so? Will my prayer bear fruit if I stop at day 21? Or should I continue to a full round (48 days)?

I thought 21 is also a significant number. Kindly advice.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I suggest you should not do anything with which your heart does not agree with. What happens if we phone a person repeatedly if the person has already heard what we want to say? And there are hundreds of millions of Hindus with phones. Have a pity on on the person whom you are phoning. You see, that is the reason Lord Jagannatha falls ill once every year. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What happens if we phone a person repeatedly if the person has already heard what we want to say?

I think the reason for the numbers of repetitions is to make sure the connection is established properly and remains. We pronounce imperfectly, yet are trying to establish a sound energy connection. On the other hand, that makes it appear that the gods are hard of hearing. We only do one repetition or run through of a puja or a stotram, after all. So they must hear, or else this is all wasted time and breath. I tend to think the repetitions are for our benefit, to keep us focused. I try to pronounce as near perfect Sanskrit as I can with each repetition, correcting myself if I think (know) I’m drifting.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am currently reciting a small sloka from Narayaneeyam 1008 times a day for good health of a close relative.

:heart:

Afterabout 12 days now, I'm feeling worn out having to recite this mantra for so long everyday and thinking of winding up my chant at day 21 (9 more days).
God Grants me all my feeling, and for a purpose. Daily struggle for me to find answers to "why I feel this way my dear God?".

Thank you for sharing this. Starting in this DIR now, I feel already so much more inspired

Is it ok to do so?
I would ask the Only One who Knows
(but probably you did that, so I can't help)

Will my prayer bear fruit if I stop at day 21?
Again, this is beyond my knowledge

Or should I continue to a full round (48 days)?
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

My Master told us about numbers:
21 times ️Om is only to make 1 heartfelt

I struggle myself to make that 1 heartfelt Om, so I can't advice, I just prayed for you to get your answer

Best wishes

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member

Is it ok to do so? Will my prayer bear fruit if I stop at day 21? Or should I continue to a full round (48 days)?

You can stop anytime and do what is natural and spontaneous
Or you can make a "niyam" - rule, discipline,

How long a mantra should be recited or how many times depends on why you chant and what the mantra sAdhanA is for.

I am sure you know this, but I am writing here for anyone interested.

One way to determine a number if you must, (for self-discipline), is purascharaN [ charaN (literally footstep) means meter also ]

One purascharaN of a mantra = number of syllables in the mantra X 100,000
So for a 5,6,8,12, or 24 syllable mantra, the purascharaN is complete when you have chanted 500000, 600000, 800000, 1200000, or 2400000 total repetitions respectively.

I mala round = 108 beads = 108 times , approximate it to 100
That gives you how many rounds you want to chant daily and for how many days/months.

It is not necessary that a large number should be completed in a day, but usually from what I have heard, sAdhaks decide upon the daily number based on what is possible, their schedules, energy levels, and stick to that.

Some purascharaNs can go a year long as a result.

Also, there is no rule that the mantra is to be chanted aloud and get exhausted. UpaMshu japa is even better and silent is best as long as it works and the mind does not stray.

This is just information because the question of "how many repetitions make a completion" came up.