• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Brazil's political woes

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As I see it, facism revolves around dictatorship, warmongering, state controlled economy and social darwinism.
Those are common traits at a more advanced stage. Which we are rapidly approaching already.

But the core traits of fascism include a longing for a former, brighter past; for a strong central authority; for the removal of perceived unworthy rivals ("traitors"); and claims of the inate rights and perhaps superiority of a national identity.

We have descended decisively into all of that. Sometimes enthusiastically. For my considerable and lasting disgust.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Those are common traits at a more advanced stage. Which we are rapidly approaching already.

But the core traits of fascism include a longing for a former, brighter past;

Which is a fairly mild trait in itself.

for a strong central authority;

Which is the standard here in Brazil. Didn't change a thing under Bolsonaro.

for the removal of perceived unworthy rivals ("traitors");

Which Bolsonaro hasn't done.

and claims of the inate rights and perhaps superiority of a national identity.

There is more nationalism under Bolsonaro, but still fairly tame.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
When Lula was imprisoned it created a lot of chatter on the kind of news sources I read at the time. The (mostly left leaning) commentators and reporters suggested it was a political move to stop him running against Bolsonaro. I note that he is still very popular but that's hardly evidence of being clean.

What kind of candidate or platform would you prefer to be voting for?

Also, I previously watched an Al Jazeera documentary on the carwash scandal (and a TV drama). Is there anything you would recommend on the subject?

If I could, I would vote in Sérgio Moro. Sadly he is neither running nor would have a winning chance this year.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Which is a fairly mild trait in itself.

Which is the standard here in Brazil. Didn't change a thing under Bolsonaro.

Which Bolsonaro hasn't done.

There is more nationalism under Bolsonaro, but still fairly tame.
I entirely disagree. Emphatically. Indelibly. Entirely. Strenuosly.

amorphous_constellation

A few months ago I watched this documentary on the state of the Amazon, and I'm not sure how much this figures in to what you want to talk about, but I just guess I wonder how much of political point that is, in all this. I mean, I'm not even sure what question about it I would ask first.

Can it really sort of be framed as christianity vs. paganism, is one possible question, because it kind of seems like a conflict between people who see physical matter (nature) in the Christian sense, as being merely the material that 'moth and woodworm' destroys, vs. the people who probably see something like a more genuine spirituality and perhaps personhood in nature. Those who would say they are the 'lungs of the planet' in both a literal and I guess spiritual sense, vs. those that would perceive this to be a false mystical view, and so then, the land should merely be for industrial level production of cattle and crops

I guess a big part of me 'gets' what a lot of it also can be about, is that people, in this modern context, want to 'making a living,' and feel that they need to. So clearing the trees and setting up capital circulation in place of that, makes sense to people practically. I myself am just a factory worker up here in wisconsin. I mean, this is basically what I seem driven by modern society, to do

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I want to apologize for the regrettable circunstance of having you folks exposed to almost a half hour of Bolsonaro's speech today.

We all deserve better.