• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 - what are YOU growing this season?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Around Vernal Equinox, I tend to get bitten hard by the gardening bug. While seasonal timing varies across the globe, this is when I fill flats full of dirt and seeds to raise amazing botanical specimens for the yard, garden, and/or assorted containers. It's fun to try something new every year. Last year, I grew Lobelia erinus for the first time, and this Crystal Palace variety of it in particular. This is an amazingly distinctive plant, with almost electric-blue flowers and foliage that bronzes when in more light. Growing this one again this year, and more of it! A new annual I am trying is Antirrhinum majus var. nanum, or Night and Day snapdragon. When I got it, I didn't completely read the description of the plant, but when the dark half of the year gets started, the flowers are supposed to turn nearly black and the foliage a dark burgundy - what an awesome way to herald in the darkness with dark flowers! I hope it turns out!

What cool things are you growing this 2016 season!

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'm growing a bunch of potato this season. We still have a bunch of herbs, tomato, etc, but I never tried potato before. Seems very easy. It came up in less than 2 weeks. So I hope for some fresh small taters in June.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I don't really have the mental ability to look after plants...
My dear partner, however, is quite crazy about orchids.
She'll likely be growing them all over the yard.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Redbuds,
Catalpas.
Blanket flowers.
Heirloom tomatoes.
And I'm hoping my asparagus will finally become established & productive.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm growing two girls and a boy.
Its quite time consuming and the monetary investment is tremendous, but once they bloom, it'll be worth it.
I've heard talking to them helps them grow better, but that's one of those things that you never know if they're true or not. Its just what people say. Who knows.
I'd like to get another one this year as well, but only time will tell on that.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Unfortunately I'm plagued with the no-window side of a small college dorm room, so growing things is almost out of the question for me. I've only been able to keep two plants alive, a zygo cactus and a crown of thorns cactus. Indoor plants have always been a staple of my environment so living without them here has been pretty hard. I feel much more refreshed with the energy from plants around me during the day. I wish I could find some plant that could withstand cooler temperatures and almost no light, but I have yet to find one. Any suggestions?

The Mormonator

Kolob University
Unfortunately I'm plagued with the no-window side of a small college dorm room, so growing things is almost out of the question for me. I've only been able to keep two plants alive, a zygo cactus and a crown of thorns cactus. Indoor plants have always been a staple of my environment so living without them here has been pretty hard. I feel much more refreshed with the energy from plants around me during the day. I wish I could find some plant that could withstand cooler temperatures and almost no light, but I have yet to find one. Any suggestions?

You could always get a Datura plant. They only need moonlight to flourish.

lovesong

Premium Member
You could always get a Datura plant. They only need moonlight to flourish.
I don't get that in here either. :( The way our room is situated, my half of the room barely gets any light even during the day with the curtains open, and we close them at night so moonlight can't get in either. Sad times for a plant lover, sad times.

4consideration

Premium Member
We are now in a place with enough space for growing things, once again.

We various herbs, cucumber, tomato, beans, carrots, lettuce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper...and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

I really hope our Creole tomatoes do well. They are my favorite tomatoes, and while one can find them at markets where I'm originally from, I haven't been able to find that variety of tomato where I live now. They make the best tomato sandwiches, ever!

Last edited:

Covellite

I adore my garden, it's a kind of my church.
Lavender, rosemary, wild roses (sunny parts) and fern flower in shades.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
2016 - what are YOU growing this season?

Nothing! Why??? What have you heard. . . :eek:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't even keep succulents alive.

I don't know why people think succulents are easy. They're often not.... lol. Spider plants on the other hand...

Corn, tomatoes, squash, peppers, lettuce, and various herbs.

I wish I had the space for corn. Not growing corn (and soybeans) makes me fell un-MidWesterner. Those two crops cover the majority of the state. :D

I WANT ONE. I got one last year from a place I shouldn't have been stupid enough to buy a plant product from, and it died. :(

We various herbs, cucumber, tomato, beans, carrots, lettuce, cayenne pepper, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper...and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Okay. So lettuce is this thing I can't quite figure out. I've tried it a couple times, but then it bolts. And it doesn't get the nice leafy bunchy thing that I want. Maybe it's the variety?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Silk plants do fine in the dark, as do mushrooms.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Gosh, might sound lame (not the plant, but on my part) but I'm trying to grow catnip for my cat to chew on. Not that it isn't a nice thing to (attempt to) do for my furry friend, but I wish I was good with plants. I'm really not. Every plant I had died.

The only one that's doing fine is my small weeping sakura tree but that's because nature is taking care of her (yes, "her" - I even gave her a name). Otherwise I'd want to grow some fruits and veggies, like cherry tomatoes, courgettes, cucumbers, peppers, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. How nice would it be to have fresh tasty produce...

4consideration

Premium Member

Okay. So lettuce is this thing I can't quite figure out. I've tried it a couple times, but then it bolts. And it doesn't get the nice leafy bunchy thing that I want. Maybe it's the variety?
I don't know. I haven't been very successful in gardening in the past, except with a few things, and mostly had given up. But, we're wanting to give it another go and see if we do better this time.

I'm going to be more patient and relaxed about it this time.

lovesong

Premium Member
Silk plants do fine in the dark, as do mushrooms.
Thank you! I'll definitely look into those. I love mushrooms, I love decorating with them, I'm sure I would love having live ones around. Can't believe I've never thought of that.