• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 cases of police abuse that did not get enough media coverage in 2017

averageJOE

zombie
There were so many cases of police abuse in 2017 that got little to no national media coverage. When Utah nurse Alex Wubbles as was "arrested" the national media ran the story for close to a month. And rightfully so. However, in my opinion, as messed up as that situation was, I believe there were far more extreme cases of police abuse that should have received national media attention. Admittedly, I don't know how news organizations deem certain stories news worthy. Maybe it had something to do with the families consent, I don't know. Whatever the case may be, I believe these are cases of police abuse that the entire country should have been aware of.

These stories got pushed to the back so that they could talk non stop about Russia, Russia, Russia.

First, the UN-honorable mentions:
Innocent by-stander gets set on fire during police chase, then beaten by cops.
Innocent Man Sues for $25M After Cops Accidentally Set Him on Fire, Beat Him on Video

The shooting of Conor Zion. The cop was cleared of any wrong doing. Even when he curb stomped Conor in the head not once, not twice, but three times AFTER he was dead.
WATCH: Cop Shoots Fleeing Man, After He Falls Down, He Shoots Him 9 More Times, Stomps His Head

Police kill 6 year old boy and expects family to accept it as an accident.
Family demands justice for 6-year-old boy killed in police gunfire

Now these:

#2. The torture of 19 year old Jordan Elias
Was reported briefly by local news.
In my opinion the back story of what happened leading up to this is irrelevant. There is just no justification for this. Warning: Graphic video. Try not to puke.

#1. The murder of Daniel Shaver
Reported briefly by local and national news (CNN).
Here we have police officers playing a sick and twisted game of simon says with a guy who was drunk, confused, had no idea why the cops were there yet totally compliant, and had broken no laws. The jury deliberated for less than 6 hours before finding the cop not guilty. The sick part to me...is that there are people out there feel this was a good shooting.

Srivijaya

Seems to me as an outsider that American cops get get away with pretty much what they want. Convictions, if they happen at all, only occur when a cop's crimes are numerous, flagrant and way beyond defending. This seems ingrained in the American Way. The guy in the uniform is right, you respect him, do what he says and turn a blind eye if need be to his odd "lapses". Chances are, the victims deserved it anyway - especially if they are black.

British cops can be like this too, but they're really not in the same league.

Srivijaya

The guys in those vids behaved like cruel sadists. It was obvious that Daniel Shaver was scared out of his wits and totally harmless. That cop had clearly already decided to pump those bullets into him, after 'playing' with him first. Why wasn't this obvious to the jury? Didn't those jurors think that it might have been their son or nephew or even themselves? Unbelievable.

What is it the gun lobby always say - Guns don't kill people. It's people that kill people.

Right. Like to see that cop pull that stunt without his gun.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's starting to look like those "silent witnesses" aren't protecting us from the police like we thought they would.
They had similar issues in Toronto Canada with the police. Measures have been taken to ensure police have body cameras on their person to protect not only them but those who they arrest.

It kind of reminds me of a quote from Billy Jack, "If the police break the law, there is no law".

averageJOE

zombie
I'm a huge proponent for police body cams.
Personally, I don't trust body cameras yet. Cops are only learning how to manipulate them now. They turn them on and off at specific times, or cut off the audio at will, or simply "forget" to turn them on. In the end, they are learning how to "act" for their cameras. Not to mention the public has to jump through hoops and wait for however long police departments deem necessary to make the footage public. This is an excellent read:
The Illusion of Accuracy

It talks about how police are able to view the body camera footage before, and sometimes even during, they write their reports.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Personally, I don't trust body cameras yet. Cops are only learning how to manipulate them now. They turn them on and off at specific times, or cut off the audio at will, or simply "forget" to turn them on. In the end, they are learning how to "act" for their cameras. Not to mention the public has to jump through hoops and wait for however long police departments deem necessary to make the footage public. This is an excellent read:
The Illusion of Accuracy

It talks about how police are able to view the body camera footage before, and sometimes even during, they write their reports.
There are some less than fully adequate workarounds.
A friend in OH was framed for a crime by a crooked detective.
But unbenownst to them, he had his own cameras working
for him. Phones & GPSes can also help preserve useful reality.
We must police the police.

lostwanderingsoul

I wonder how many unreported cases there were where people attacked the police? Of course there are cases of police overreacting or using excessive force but there are many more cases of police being the victims.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder how many unreported cases there were where people attacked the police? Of course there are cases of police overreacting or using excessive force but there are many more cases of police being the victims.
Exactly why body cams can be just as valuable to police in protecting them from unjustified accusations by whom they arrest or have an altercation with.

Srivijaya

I'm a huge proponent for police body cams.
Same here. What amazed me with the second vid was that the cop knew he had a body cam but was indifferent to it. Shows how invulnerable he felt.

There was a case a while ago were a cop was convicted of serial rapes. When they passed sentence on him he looked at the jury in amazement, like 'you traitors, you're not supposed to do that'.

The attitude of 'entitlement' is certainly an issue with some of them. The belief that they are above the law.

averageJOE

zombie
There are some less than fully adequate workarounds.
A friend in OH was framed for a crime by a crooked detective.
But unbenownst to them, he had his own cameras working
for him. Phones & GPSes can also help preserve useful reality.
We must police the police.
I 100% agree. Every police interaction has to by recorded by citizens. Our footage is far more valuable than police body can video.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seems to me as an outsider that American cops get get away with pretty much what they want. Convictions, if they happen at all, only occur when a cop's crimes are numerous, flagrant and way beyond defending. This seems ingrained in the American Way. The guy in the uniform is right, you respect him, do what he says and turn a blind eye if need be to his odd "lapses". Chances are, the victims deserved it anyway - especially if they are black.

You are correct, as most if not all Americans posting here have affirmed.

Interestingly, my wife and I were discussing some material we printed out yesterday to use in the case of a shakedown by the local police (we're not in America any more) if we were threatened with impounding our vehicle if we didn't raise our bribe from the customary $10-25 dollars to the $100+ range (in local currency). Other expats have used this strategy successfully to get the bribe back down to the usual range. It involves refusing to comply with illegal orders from the police, and taking down a badge number.

We both agreed that we would never try that in the United States. We could expect to be terrorized by angry, bullying cops who would feel free to treat us rudely and physically as they felt like treating us, and possibly framed for a crime just for questioning them or asserting our rights. And we would expect

The days of the Adam 12 type of cop are long gone.

I think I like the form of corruption I have now over the one I left. I was never able to afford a senator, but a cop is within my budget.

Incidentally, if anyone is wondering, we have been shaken down three times for bribes in over eight years for a total of under $100, and only that high because I overpaid once when new here - about $60 US. I sincerely do not mind paying it if the cop is friendly and reasonable. They make next to nothing. I don't mind helping them out a little. And yes, I'm surprised at my attitude. I ought to object and resent the treatment.

Phones & GPSes can also help preserve useful reality. We must police the police.

Don't forget the dash cam.

And this, for your smart phone: ACLU Apps to Record Police Conduct

averageJOE

zombie
In my opinion, the Daniel Shaver shooting is the most horrific police shootings I've ever seen. If any acts of police brutality followed by an acquittal that deserved coast to coast protests is that one. I still wonder why there was a lack of media coverage on it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
In my opinion, the Daniel Shaver shooting is the most horrific police shootings I've ever seen. If any acts of police brutality followed by an acquittal that deserved coast to coast protests is that one. I still wonder why there was a lack of media coverage on it.
While I agree that it is a pretty horrible one, the worst I saw was the kid that had a mental disability holding what is clearly a toy.

There are definitely some awful police shootings that occur. Keep in mind that police shootings are not the norm. And while there are bad apples many officers are just like us. That said we should recognize the effects granting authority can have on people and we should also worry about the people a job that promises authority can attract.

This is in no way meant to excuse any of this behavior. Police given their position should be held to a higher degree of responsibility and accountability.

averageJOE

zombie
While I agree that it is a pretty horrible one, the worst I saw was the kid that had a mental disability holding what is clearly a toy.

There are definitely some awful police shootings that occur. Keep in mind that police shootings are not the norm. And while there are bad apples many officers are just like us. That said we should recognize the effects granting authority can have on people and we should also worry about the people a job that promises authority can attract.

This is in no way meant to excuse any of this behavior. Police given their position should be held to a higher degree of responsibility and accountability.
Kid with the mental disability? Are you talking about Tamir Rice?

Have to disagree with you though, police shootings ARE the norm. Over 1200 people shot by police in 2017, that's more than a combat zone in Iraq.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Kid with the mental disability? Are you talking about Tamir Rice?

Have to disagree with you though, police shootings ARE the norm. Over 1200 people shot by police in 2017, that's more than a combat zone in Iraq.
No, it was Charles Kinsey. I guess that was 2016 though. Man didn't die but it was definitely one of the most wtf is wrong here police shootings I have seen.

We can agree to disagree. I was harassed by police growing up. Friends were harassed by police. Many police behave horribly, but many more do not. There are many many conflicts with police every day. To say that even a number like 1200 makes it the norm is erroneous. Most police interactions do not end in a shooting. Therefore it is not the norm.