• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1560 Geneva Bible

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think the Geneva Bible is the best ever made?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Why do you think the Geneva Bible is the best ever made?

The sentences flow very well, as if someone very educated put it together. And the notes in the margins are excellent. You just have to adjust to an s looking like an f.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
The sentences flow very well, as if someone very educated put it together. And the notes in the margins are excellent. You just have to adjust to an s looking like an f.
I'm fluent in reading old printing styles, but what about the translation itself? Or are you just talking aesthetically?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I'm fluent in reading old printing styles, but what about the translation itself? Or are you just talking aesthetically?

The translation is more comprehensible than the KJV. KJV is like a watered down Geneva Bible. The notes in the margins don't pull any punches either, but are debatebable, such as this one.

"As Christ Kingdom is in heaven and leadeth men tither, the Popes kingdom is of the Earth and leadeth men to perdition"

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I just read some of the notes in the margins of Luke 17:20-21.
I would be careful of the notes.
Make up your own mind what the scripture is saying.
Read it as if it is speaking directly to you and you won't need notes.

Having the second opinion of the bible writer guys notes in the margin is nice. You immediately get to see how someone else interprets it compared to your own. Of course you can take it or leave it, whether you're convinced he's right.

I have never seen any other bible with notes in the margins.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Having the second opinion of the bible writer guys notes in the margin is nice. You immediately get to see how someone else interprets it compared to your own. Of course you can take it or leave it, whether you're convinced he's right.

I have never seen any other bible with notes in the margins.
The King James has many in the original.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably doesn't have one saying "the pope is the antichrist and ambassador of Satan" though.
Probaby not, but then I've not had time or the desire to read all of them. Not being a Christian sorta makes it a waste of time.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I believe there are many.
One that used to be my favorite was the Jerusalem Bible translation of the Psalms.
Best i have ever read i think.
Those Catholics can do a good job when they want t:).
I would still caution you on reading too much into the notes, after all, they are just an opinion.

Well I have wikipedia on my side. They say Geneva is the best.

"Because the language of the Geneva Bible was more forceful and vigorous, most readers strongly preferred this version to the Great Bible. In the words of Cleland Boyd McAfee, "it drove the Great Bible off the field by sheer power of excellence".[5]"

allfoak

Alchemist

"Because the language of the Geneva Bible was more forceful and vigorous, most readers strongly preferred this version to the Great Bible. In the words of Cleland Boyd McAfee, "it drove the Great Bible off the field by sheer power of excellence".[5]"
May it be a wondrous experience.
80780252.jpg

Carl W.

Translations.
The J.W.'s say that the Bible they use, the New World
Translation, is the best and most accurate of them all.
Quite a claim I think.
"claim" does not mean I agree.
Yet the Governing Body refuses to identify the
person(s) that did the translating.
Give that the Governing Body feels college is wasted
time better spent in "ministry work" one wonders about
the accuracy issue.
Thoughts?
I have a number of different Christian Bibles and have
no preferences.
I've never read the Queen James version.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Translations.
The J.W.'s say that the Bible they use, the New World
Translation, is the best and most accurate of them all.
Quite a claim I think.
"claim" does not mean I agree.
Yet the Governing Body refuses to identify the
person(s) that did the translating.
Give that the Governing Body feels college is wasted
time better spent in "ministry work" one wonders about
the accuracy issue.
Thoughts?
I have a number of different Christian Bibles and have
no preferences.
I've never read the Queen James version.

Yeah sounds a little fishy not saying who wrote it. And I guess the J.W.s didn't understand the part about testifying of oneself.

Carl W.

Yeah sounds a little fishy not saying who wrote it. And I guess the J.W.s didn't understand the part about testifying of oneself.

That an other issues that deviate from mainstream Christianity
but I'm not going to bash anyone's religion just because
I find an issue or two.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
That an other issues that deviate from mainstream Christianity
but I'm not going to bash anyone's religion just because
I find an issue or two.

You can bash an issue or two without bashing their whole organization. Christianity is one religion, One Lord, One Faith, One baptism. as it is written.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

This isn't saying the Geneva Bible's best, it's saying it's preferred by readers.
Shouldn't 'best' hinge more on accuracy of translation and inclusion of relevant texts -- or is the Bible's prime function pure propaganda?

A technical article in Nature might have a hundred times the information of an article on the same thing in The Sun or National Enquirer. Which one is 'better'?