• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15 dollar an hour minimum wage hike....... oh oh..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some agreement there, but still, I think some of the arguments against a liveable wage (usually that it will cost n-number of low-paying jobs and increase unemployment) are pretty easy to argue against. After all, take the case of your local McDonalds -- put those low-paying workers out on the street, and they'll no longer be able to afford the product: and they are among the principle consumers of that very product.

And really, though too many people like to tout the presumed "truth" that wages are the biggest expense -- that isn't really true for a lot of things, is it? I mean, most of the cost of a Big Mac is the product itself -- and the transportation that got it to market, and the cost of the restaurant, and heating the oil for the fries, and the parking lot...and on and on and on. So pay the worker who hands out 300 of these things an hour $5 bucks more an hour, that comes $0.06 per burger. That wouldn't be hard to build into the price of the thing.
There are other effects. Fast food is becoming more
automated, & this will be additional incentive to go
that route. The effects will vary greatly with location.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There are other effects. Fast food is becoming more
automated, & this will be additional incentive to go
that route. The effects will vary greatly with location.
Everything is becoming more automated, including language translation and sex. So take that argument to the very end -- picture the world in which absolutely everything is automated, and zero workers are needed to produce anything. Thus, no need to pay anybody on the planet for their labour. Who will there be to purchase the products all that automation produces?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everything is becoming more automated, including language translation and sex. So take that argument to the very end -- picture the world in which absolutely everything is automated, and zero workers are needed to produce anything. Thus, no need to pay anybody on the planet for their labour. Who will there be to purchase the products all that automation produces?
We should be cautious about hurrying
that on by unintended consequences.
Ever listen to Freakonomic podcasts?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Look at how long it's been without an increase and ask has anything really improved?

I'd say give it a chance because the money goes right back into the door of business by people with the extra cash in their pocket.

Does Raising the Minimum Wage Increase Inflation?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ditched, scrubbed, blown up, Al la Vista, terminated, swimming wit the fishes, fineto, and any other colorful words one can think up.

Senior Democrats ditch their backdoor proposal for a $15 minimum wage, throwing pay hike in doubt in $1.9 trillion stimulus package

Still they're trying, right?

A lot of states have already raised minimum wage, although it varies from state to state. So, if the wage is raised to $15, it may not be such a huge or drastic jump as it would be from $7.25.

I'm not sure if the issue is so much about the "minimum wage" as much as it's about low wages in general, as well as the huge disparities in wages and salaries overall.

There's also the matter of how much a dollar actually buys these days. A lot of people who even earn above minimum wage have difficulty making ends meet, depending on their situation and family needs. Some people have to work 2 or 3 jobs. In some cases, they might be living beyond their means, although it makes one wonder why their means are so paltry.

These are the kinds of things that Congress should wonder about.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why should people who might have not even graduated from high school and never went to college automatically make $20 an hour? Why should they even make $15? Some college graduates don't even make that much and they might have had to take out student loans they have to pay back.

What incentive is there for people to get an education if they can make that much money without a college degree?

I would say it's more a matter of a living wage. My view is that, if it's a job in which a human being is required to do, then they should be paid commensurate to what is considered to be a basic living. Everyone has to eat, needs shelter, transportation, utilities, healthcare, education for their kids, etc.

As long as society still needs janitors, maid, burger flippers, bus boys, store clerks, and many other such jobs, then they have to be done by humans, and humans have basic needs. If they're considered worthless, unneeded, or superfluous, then why should any business waste money on opening up such positions in the first place?

As for college graduates, I think that can vary, depending on where one goes to college, what they study, and what kind of grades they get. But there are still incentives to getting an education, if one can afford it and get into a good school. A lot of people can't afford it - or (if they get a basic loan to their local college) they might not have been sufficiently prepared during their K-12 years and get overwhelmed by the rigors of higher education.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why should people who might have not even graduated from high school and never went to college automatically make $20 an hour? Why should they even make $15? Some college graduates don't even make that much and they might have had to take out student loans they have to pay back.

What incentive is there for people to get an education if they can make that much money without a college degree?
Good grief, have you not done Economics 101.
Poor people spend every last penny, they spend it locally, on feeding themselves and their children, on clothes, on housing, on transport. The money goes round and round, the economy booms and the rich and middle classes benefit as they sell them these goods.

Scrap college loans too, if you don't like them.

Despite what the GOP try to tell you, economies grow from the bottom up.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Good grief, have you not done Economics 101.
I never said I had, that was not the subject I studied in college. I studied geography and Spanish many decades ago and more recently I studied psychology and homeopathy. Economics is interesting but I do not have time to study everything.

Thanks for the economics lesson. I learn a lot in this forum.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The minimum wage should be $15 as a minimum. With a 3-5 year gradual increase until $15 is reached.
People who currently make $15 and are angry they're about to be paid McDonald's wages. Well, you're finally realizing that you were underpaid to begin with.
That was me as a case manager, a degreed white collar pro, but still earning poverty wages.
And that's basically what it is. A harsh reminder that while one group gets table scraps, they get the group getting rotten leftovers pointed out and told that group is coming for their table scraps they worked so hard for.

ecco

Veteran Member
True, And $15.00 an hour may be overly optimistic. I do not think that anyone has proposed that fifteen dollars an hour has to be the national minimum wage everywhere.

I wonder how the Governors of Alabama and Arkansas would feel when, after careful analysis, it was determined the Minimum Federal Wage for their state should be $8.00 / Hr (the lowest of all states).

I wonder how the people of California would react when, after careful analysis, it was determined the Minimum Federal Wage for Los Angeles and the surrounding areas should be $35.00 / Hr.

It seems this would open as big a can of worms as gerrymandering.