• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15 dollar an hour minimum wage hike....... oh oh..

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I definitely don't see a meaningful wage hike in the future. Why would those with money and power want to shed more than a fraction of their money when they can just hoard it all for themselves instead?

Expect a pittance to keep the population content instead. Maybe a dollar or two?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I definitely don't see a meaningful wage hike in the future. Why would those with money and power want to shed more than a fraction of their money when they can just hoard it all for themselves instead?

Expect a pittance to keep the population content instead. Maybe a dollar or two?
You can apply this approach to just about any political measure designed to benefit the populace.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Ugh. Meanwhile I make $11/hour at a union job but Target and Best Buy workers have a $15 minimum wage. Wtf is the union good for? I would like to know what they're using my union dues for.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let's set aside the unconstitutionality of the fed gov
regulating wages.
A standard minimum across the country is a bad idea.
What will be extremely low in SF CA or NYC NY,
would be a job killer in Dingus Corners PA.
It makes as much sense as one size fits all undies.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Let's set aside the unconstitutionality of the fed gov
regulating wages.
A standard minimum across the country is a bad idea.
What will be extremely low in SF CA or NYC NY,
would be a job killer in Dingus Corners PA.
It makes as much sense as one size fits all undies.
I used to think that but I changed my mind.

People with more money in their pocket spend.

That helps the economy and business when people spend that money when they walk in the door.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Ugh. Meanwhile I make $11/hour at a union job but Target and Best Buy workers have a $15 minimum wage. Wtf is the union good for? I would like to know what they're using my union dues for.
Your anger for your own situation should not fuel resentment for other people. It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your position.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I used to think that but I changed my mind.

People with more money in their pocket spend.

That helps the economy and business when people spend that money when they walk in the door.
What's the goal of a min wage?
I thought it was a livable wage.
But what's livable one place is a pittance in another.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It should be $20/hour
Why should people who might have not even graduated from high school and never went to college automatically make $20 an hour? Why should they even make $15? Some college graduates don't even make that much and they might have had to take out student loans they have to pay back.

What incentive is there for people to get an education if they can make that much money without a college degree?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
An interesting article for some historical context:

... the principal intention [of the federal minimum wage] was not to provide a “living wage” sufficient to live on alone. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt included it as part of his New Deal legislation to prevent the abuse of an employer’s inherent bargaining power over employees. Setting a floor, even a low one, limited an employer’s ability to underpay workers, ensured a minimum measure of purchasing power and allowed for fair competition between businesses.
From - Ensuring the minimum wage keeps up with economic growth would be the best way to help workers and preserve FDR's legacy

What's interesting to think about is that with globalization, the intention to limit employer ability to underpay workers has had a giant wrench thrown into it. Fair competition isn't possible when labor is massively outsourced to low-wage countries.

ecco

Veteran Member
Ditched, scrubbed, blown up, Al la Vista, terminated, swimming wit the fishes, fineto, and any other colorful words one can think up.
It didn't belong in a COVID relief bill to begin with.

They will bring it up again as a stand-alone item and have the American people see the Republican's refusal to help those on the lower end of the economic spectrum. They will then compare it to the Republican tax cut that benefitted mostly the wealthy and the corporations. Overall, it will bring more people to the polls during the next election cycle.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The minimum wage should be $15 as a minimum. With a 3-5 year gradual increase until $15 is reached.
People who currently make $15 and are angry they're about to be paid McDonald's wages. Well, you're finally realizing that you were underpaid to begin with.

ecco

Veteran Member
What resentment??? My resentment there is towards my crappy, corrupt union and the psychopathic corporation it's in cahoots with.

Maybe you need to move to a different location and/or a different field of work.

Union Worker Annual Salary ($41,295 Avg | Feb 2021) - ZipRecruiter
As of Feb 22, 2021, the average annual pay for an Union Worker in the United States is $41,295 a year.

Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $19.85 an hour. This is the equivalent of $794/week or $3,441/month.

While ZipRecruiter is seeing annual salaries as high as $89,000 and as low as $17,500, the majority of Union Worker salaries currently range between $26,000 (25th percentile) to $49,500 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $72,500 annually across the United States. The average pay range for an Union Worker varies greatly (by as much as $23,500), which suggests there may be many opportunities for advancement and increased pay based on skill level, location and years of experience.