• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

14 year-old girl wears rosary beads to school. Guess what happens

gnomon

The issue of religious rights in public settings is a tricky one. It doesn't automatically default to religious beliefs trump rules or laws.

But this case isn't a very good example of the rights issue. It appears to be more of a case, as highlighted by one of Mestemia's posts, of overreaction by all involved parties.

Rakhel

The issue with the rosary is not necessarily the rosary itself, but the color of the rosary.
If you can identify a gang member by the color of the bandana(also not allowed) or clothing, then it stands to reason you can identify one by the color of the rosary beads.

I mean seriously, how many people wear three red rosary beads around their neck

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
While I can understand the link between gangs and rosary beads, this is a stupid reason as to why this girl was suspended.
And which reason are you talking about?

I thought everyone had rights in the world?
Are you under some sort of impression that "having rights" means complete free reign to whatever you want?

Gang members also wear T-Shirts and jeans, are they stopping students from wearing those, too?
As a matter of fact there are several schools that have done exactly that.
Ever heard of mandatory school uniforms?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A rosary worn round the neck and in full view Is not normal in a religious sense.
Worn that way it is a fashion symbol, or to bring attention to oneself.
The school were right in banning it.
Its religious function would be served by its use or carrying it concealed on ones person

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Actually, as a former Catholic, the first thing I notice is this - that rosaries are not meant to be worn as necklaces. But I digress...

I think that this whole gang clothing thing is impossible for the school to stop. Even if they put everyone in the same clothes, gang members would find a way to wear something as a symbol of gang affiliation, even if it was just tying their shoelaces in a particular way, or wearing a sleeve turned up.

Primordial Annihilator

Why not just put everyone in jeans and a grey t-shirt.
Generic hair cuts then?
That way no one can stand out as a gang member.
Or an individual. :sarcastic

In schools this is called a school uniform...except jeans and t shirts are seldom the actual uniform...I approve strongly of a school uniform.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
According to the district’s student dress code, openly wearing a rosary violates school policy.

I can understand why 'openly' wearing a rosary wouldn't be allowed. At my school no jewellery at all was allowed to be seen.

I also thought that wearing a cross wasn't about showing it to everyone else - covering it up is not a terrible thing. You can still wear it without showing it off to others.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There's something to be said for the fact that it is not a tenet of anyone's faith to wear rosary beads. Whereas, religious Jews are always supposed to keep their heads covered with a yarmulka... and Sikhs are supposed to keep their heads covered with a turban.

You can't ask a religious Jew to take off his yarmulka... ever. Only time he takes it off is in the shower.
There were some issues here in recent years about the turban, specifically dealing with motorcycle helmet laws and hardhat requirements for construction sites.

The original argument was that the turban itself isn't a religious requirement; uncut hair is. The turban is simply a way for observant Sikhs to manage their long hair.

IIRC, the cases eventually worked out that allowing an exemption was deemed reasonable accommodation, because even if the turban itself wasn't directly required by their religion, the fact that it takes 15-30 minutes to put one on or take one off made it impractical for Sikhs to adhere to the normal rules about helmets/hard hats.

Whereas wearing the rosary beads as an article of jewelry is entirely optional.
Yeah. I see the issue of this girl wearing a rosary as something closer to a student wanting to wear an "I (heart) Jesus" t-shirt to graduation instead of the mandated graduation gown than I see it to something where we're talking about accommodating an actual religious requirement.

Actually, as a former Catholic, the first thing I notice is this - that rosaries are not meant to be worn as necklaces. But I digress...
I agree. I pointed that out before. If religious accommodation is about acknowledging the importance of matters of faith to people, it's silly to take those matters out of the context that made them important in the first place.

I think that this whole gang clothing thing is impossible for the school to stop. Even if they put everyone in the same clothes, gang members would find a way to wear something as a symbol of gang affiliation, even if it was just tying their shoelaces in a particular way, or wearing a sleeve turned up.
I agree that it's hard to police, but I think that banning gang-related symbols and clothing is a part of an overall anti-gang stance, which I think is important.