• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

14 Signs of Fascism

RestlessSoul

Arf arf. That would be the new Brillo Pad vehicle, I presume.

I don't even have a TV, actually. I take the FT daily and look at the BBC and Grauniad websites. Though I have to say the BBC one seems to be getting more and more stupid and trivial in its coverage.

The BBC is a cowed institution currently, and it’s difficult to see how it can maintain political independence with appointments like this...

21A19DFD-E381-44E8-BBC2-EA6856D46D67.png

exchemist

Veteran Member
It just seems to be in vogue to hate one's nation these days and those, generally working class, folks who don't are seen as some kind of morons.
Yes it is somewhat in vogue, for reasons that are understandable for anyone who has not been asleep these last five years.

I myself now view displays of the Union flag with some distaste, as for me it has now become associated with Nigel Farage's ugly mug and Bozo's plummy and mendacious waffle. It's a pity, but there we are: it has been co-opted by the people and sentiments in politics that I most despise.

English nationalism is an unpleasant phenomenon, one which I indeed associate with stupidity and lies.

RestlessSoul

Indeed, there's virtually no fraud. But apparently we're going to need photo ID to vote. A solution to a problem that the UK does not have.

Yep, this looks a lot like targeted voter suppression. Very worrying, because you have to question the motives of the government that is proposing to introduce these unnecessary measures.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It just seems to be in vogue to hate one's nation these days and those, generally working class, folks who don't are seen as some kind of morons.
Brexiteer "patriots" often seem to think the break up of the UK as a price worth paying (or even a good riddance to the likes of Scotland).

It's a perfect scenario.

Say you hate your country and are embarrassed to be British because of the stupid, racist, morons who obviously cannot think for themselves as they disagree with your enlightened, progressive doctrines.

Drive the 'stupid, racist morons' towards the other party who has many faults but at least doesn't call them stupid, racist morons for not being ashamed of their country and obsequious towards the EU.

Then claim that the fact they didn't vote for the people calling them stupid racist morons proves beyond doubt that they are indeed the stupidest, most racist morons who make you ashamed to be British.

Then engage in collective hand-wringing about why your side didn't get enough votes and come to the conclusion that the answer was that you were not vociferous enough in delivering the message that anyone who disagrees with you is a stupid racist moron.

:oops:

(Bonus points if you buy a house in just the right catchment area to ensure you children go to the best state school in the city while also maintaining that the only reason someone could object to their own child going to a school where half the children don't speak English as a first language is that they are stupid, racist morons.)

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Whereas it has been a longstanding tradition of centuries to paint vocal public cultural critics as vile traitors who hate their country.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It's a perfect scenario.

Say you hate your country and are embarrassed to be British because of the stupid, racist, morons who obviously cannot think for themselves as they disagree with your enlightened, progressive doctrines.

Drive the 'stupid, racist morons' towards the other party who has many faults but at least doesn't call them stupid, racist morons for not being ashamed of their country and obsequious towards the EU.

Then claim that the fact they didn't vote for the people calling them stupid racist morons proves beyond doubt that they are indeed the stupidest, most racist morons who make you ashamed to be British.

Then engage in collective hand-wringing about why your side didn't get enough votes and come to the conclusion that the answer was that you were not vociferous enough in delivering the message that anyone who disagrees with you is a stupid racist moron.

:oops:

(Bonus points if you buy a house in just the right catchment area to ensure you children go to the best state school in the city while also maintaining that the only reason someone could object to their own child going to a school where half the children don't speak English as a first language is that they are stupid, racist morons.)
And it's a "perfect" scenario because it has never happened in the real world.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
It also misses the point that the main threat to these countries is not "fascism" but illiberal democracy.

Unfortunately that label isn't Hitlery enough, to tar the other side with.
No need to get overly pedantic with fancy schmancy scholarly terms, we can just call them "right wingers" and be done with it.
Everyone knows who we are talking about, anyway, don't they?

And it's a "perfect" scenario because it has never happened in the real world.

Perhaps you aren't that familiar with the real world then.

While it is obviously satirical, what would you say is not representative of a general phenomenon?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Perhaps you aren't that familiar with the real world then.
Or perhaps you are confusing your own fiction with reality.

While it is obviously satirical, what would you say is not representative of a general phenomenon?
I would say that it is a fantasy story - or perhaps a fairy tale if you will, since it is clearly laid out to convey a moralistic, conservative message - that is only "representative of a general phenomenon" insofar as it claims to be about countries that factually exist, although neither people nor these countries behave in any way like their counterparts in our reality.

What specific event would you say your fantasy story is a satire of?

Last edited:
No need to get overly pedantic with fancy schmancy scholarly terms, we can just call them "right wingers" and be done with it.
Everyone knows who we are talking about, anyway, don't they?

Perfect.

Anyone right of centre is pretty much Hitler anyway so why bother differentiating?

I would say that is is an entirely fictional nonsense tale that has nothing to do with the real world.

Then I'd say you are either ignorant or delusional on this issue.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Perfect.

Anyone right of centre is pretty much Hitler anyway so why bother differentiating?
Indeed! Pedantic, scholarly terms like "fascism" or "illiberal" are for fancypants classrooms at universities, and we want none of that communist scholarship on this forum!

Then I'd say you are either ignorant or delusional on this issue.
Yes, you would say that, as somebody who goes apoplectic at the sight of centrist-liberal professors in public universities' humanities departments for fear that these mildly leftist liberals will destroy Freedom forever, but simultaneously considers anyone who publically denounces racism traitors to their country and just one step removed from Pol Pot.

Indeed! Pedantic, scholarly terms like "fascism" or "illiberal" are for fancypants classrooms at universities, and we want none of that communist scholarship on this forum!

Nothing says Hitler quite like being in favour of hearing a wide range of scholarly views on all subjects.

Yes, you would say that, as somebody who goes apoplectic at the sight of centrist-liberal professors in public universities' humanities departments for fear that these mildly leftist liberals will destroy Freedom forever, but simultaneously considers anyone who publically denounces racism traitors to their country and just one step removed from Pol Pot.

Thank you for confirming you were in fact ignorant rather than delusional.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Thank you for confirming you were in fact ignorant rather than delusional.
Yes I am clearly ignorant of the multiple ways neferious leftists destroy truth and freedom.
Please, educate me some more on these subjects, I don't think I quite understand yet how they managed to invent both fascism and PC culture to bring down Western civilization.

Yes I am clearly ignorant of the multiple ways neferious leftists destroy truth and freedom.
Please, educate me some more on these subjects, I don't think I quite understand yet how they managed to invent both fascism and PC culture to bring down Western civilization.

You really have gotten yourself into a right old fankle about what you erroneously assume I believe, haven't you?

It's quite remarkable you could be that wrong, well done.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
You really have gotten yourself into a right old fankle about what you erroneously assume I believe, haven't you?

It's quite remarkable you could be that wrong, well done.
On these fora, I've seen you going on at length about "PC culture" and similar conservative persecution fantasies, and I remember your stance in the leftist academics thread as well.