• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12th December - UK General Election

Altfish

Veteran Member
So, it is not Democratic to have a second referendum three and a half years after the previous one.
But it is democratic to have 3 General Elections in 4-years.

Altfish

Veteran Member
You have my sympathy. UK politics are just so difficult these days.
If I thought it'd sort anything, it'll be a good thing. But I fear it will make matters worse.

It is a big risk that Johnson is taking - going to the polls pre-Brexit. The election will focus on Brexit, with other topics being irrelevant.
I expect Farage's Brexit party to do fairly well, I think the Lib Dems will do well. SNP will regain their seats from the Tories
Labour and Tories will suffer.

But what do I know - let's see who Putin backs, Facebook should tell us soon.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes...a second referendum should be held..but with these 2 option:

1) No deal Brexit
2) Negotiate Deal

That's a very undemocratic referendum. What about the majority of Britain's who did not vote for brexit?

If Boris gets his way, and the polls look like he will, then no deal is on the cards. It would be the worst possible outcome for Britain but Boris and his cronies will do very well out of it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I thought it'd sort anything, it'll be a good thing. But I fear it will make matters worse.

It sure doesn't look like it will solve much. The odds of yet another hung parliament are very high indeed, and the uncertainties could not be much higher if that were the goal (and maybe it is?)

It is a big risk that Johnson is taking - going to the polls pre-Brexit. The election will focus on Brexit, with other topics being irrelevant.
I expect Farage's Brexit party to do fairly well, I think the Lib Dems will do well. SNP will regain their seats from the Tories

That is probably somewhat good overall, but not very helpful in the short term.

Labour and Tories will suffer.
Quite deservedly, IMO. Although I hope that Labour recovers eventually. Not so much in seats as in overall direction.

But what do I know - let's see who Putin backs, Facebook should tell us soon.
Yeah. A leader for our time, indeed...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
There's a word that starts with 'cluster' that seems applicable to UK politics right now...

it also seems to describe US politics, too...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Come on....the UK entered the EU in the 70s...

What if they had never done it?

Norway has never done it.
Switzerland has never done it.
The UK has benefited enormously from the EU.

What do you mean by comparing the UK with Norway and Switzerland? It seems to me that Greece, Italy or Argentina are somewhat better comparisons, personally.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
....lol

Come on...now you are not serious...:p:p

It absolutely has, jobs, infrastructure, economy.

http___com.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.png