• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12 Step Recovery

Riders

All be it I have had my quams especially about religious issues in 12 Step recovery programs, I still say they have the good reputation still of offering recovery from all sorts of addictions. I am trying to loosen up with Over Eaters ANonymous, I got some recovery buddies working on it in OA. I dont have a sponsor yet but plany on working on it.

The 12 Steps are the path to a spiritual recovery, so doing the 12 steps is suppose to help you heal up from your issues and work on yourself to recover from over eating. But OA Over Eaters Anonymous also has food sponsors.

A lot of them are strict , and require no breads no wheat in your diet, some still go by the grey sheet, a system early on in OA where you got these grey sheets that had all the food you could eat on it and it is strict.

SO I am leary of getting a food sponsor. I am really just looking for a 12 Step sponsor instead. Again with spiritual recovery it is suppose to relieve me from my over eating.

I am learning that I am becoming more comfortable with over eaters who are also alcoholics or drug addicts who are in AA and there´s a few I have met who are ACOAs. That;s what I am adult child of an alcoholic though my Mom is dead.

I am trying to get co sponsors and reach out buddies I can talk to for now. We will see if it makes a difference.

Riders

I was raised up in aA and NA NArcotics Anonymous, my mom though she was not a chemical drug addict did go to NA some, and NA claims that a drug is a drug is a drug, so whatever your addicted to it counts as drug addiction.SO I could go there for my over eating and sex and love addiction. I may consider it in the future.

My friend though she maybe addicted to pot at one time and went a few times to NA, she said doesn it give you the creeps NA? There are those who have been homeless prostituted themselves drug dealers there but its not big deal to me, I was raised in it. I may go that route eventually, Im comfortable around drug addicts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When I started a diet a number of years ago, we were asked to go to three meetings of "Food Addicts in Recovery, Anonymous". It's interesting that with food there are different 12 step organizations because, of course, abstinence is impossible.

The feature of my diet then and now is no added sugar, no added fat, no cereal/bread except for oat bran. The bread thing is interesting to me. Not only does eliminating such thing basically eliminate 95% of sweets, but some people have issues with binging on bread products and there's evidence for some that eliminating them makes it easier to lose and keep weight off.

Good luck!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I never had good luck in AA or with Sponsors in general. It is hard to work the 12 steps in full earnest with another person, if you have Trust issues opening up to/around people as a whole. I found it better to work with and build a solid reputation with a Therapist to AA Sponsorship.

But that's just my 2¢

Riders

I've heard that many people did the grey sheets. The grey sheets were strict. You can not eat anything off the grey sheet list. I hear it is like the obesity surgery diet, pretty much low fat protein and vegetables that's it.

I'm eating high-fat meats and kinds of milk and 2 to 3 whole wheat breads a day. Some people have a less strict food plan, some just eat 3 small plates a day with what they want to eat as long as it is 3 small plates a day. I can not eat sugars and cokes, I am eating it today but I am off my diet plan, I overeat on it when I do. Sugar and cokes are really bad for me.

Riders

I never had good luck in AA or with Sponsors in general. It is hard to work the 12 steps in full earnest with another person, if you have Trust issues opening up to/around people as a whole. I found it better to work with and build a solid reputation with a Therapist to AA Sponsorship.

But that's just my 2¢

Some sex addicts also get therapists to work with them instead of recovery groups and it works for some people. Also, some sex addicts go to sex therapists who have group therapy for sex addicts instead of 12 step programs as well.

Riders

Well I finally have a sonsor who is going t share her program with me tomorrow Its taken a long time for me to get a sponsor. If you have other addictions in over eaters annonymous that you have a program for OA sponsors dont like it. I told them all I was raised up in aa and alateen and am an adult child of an alcoholic, and that i have recovery in sex Addicts anonymous. they have not been happy with that.

I was sure to tell her that I weigh 290 am 140 pounds over weight, obese, and no longer have all the problems with sex addiction that I need to focus on my over eating. So hopefully that made her come around. She´s a new sponsor and is going to share her oA program with me tomorrow. Hopefully we will hit it off.

Riders

I have heard bad things about OA by people who talk in meetings and info on the internet that it is very hard to find a sponsor quite often because simply put there is not too many people with long time abstinence, and I have noticed that sometimes it is hard to find speakers for OA because speakers have to have abstinence. But over eating is a hard addiction to deal with. We have to eat to live. So .