• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

11 Year Old Devout Athiest

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I think it is shallow to believe that religious scholarship is a necessity in life. I remember being 11 years old and I wasn't brain dead. An atheist can develop from an 11 year old child just as Christians develop from 11 year olds. Children are quite capable of handling philosophy if it interests them. You're acting like you can't hold a conversation with a child about religion or atheism. I'm guessing you don't have children.
I agree. An 11 year old, especially one raised by thoughtful parents, can have a surprisingly nuanced and sophisticated view of the world. We are too quick to sell children short.

Just a question to the OP: Even suggesting that she take it down where the reason given is that her views will be unpopular, what do you think the take away lessons for her will be from that? Are those things you want her to learn?

If she's strong, independent and outspoken, when do you think she's going to learn to process and respond to social pressure to conceal her feelings and thoughts and the consequences of being open about who she thinks she is?

Or put another way - what are you telling her she should do with how she really feels?

Last edited:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
If she's that proud of her atheism then I'd let it slide. If her friends in school stop talking to her as a result then they weren't really friends at all. As for the parents I'm not sure what you can do.

Man of Faith

Of course the first thing that comes to my mind is when the children of Christians are taught to believe in God, they are called child abusers. However I see it is different when an atheist teaches their children.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
She`s adamant she won`t remove it and I`m at a loss as I`ve always told her she should never be ashamed of whatever she believes about anything.

I`ve informed her she runs the risk of being ostracized in the same manner she was in our neighborhood and she just doesn`t give a damn.

She says that if they can`t accept her for what she is she doesn`t want their acceptance.
This of course fills me with so much pride I could burst but I really don`t want her tight knit "family" that the class has become over the past few years to shun her as it would truly hurt her.

I`m not worried about the kids reactions as truthfully most of them are smarter than their parents but I`m worried about what the parents might do or make their kids do.

What do I do here?

Help??

I think you've already done what you should do. Impress upon her the implications of describing herself that way. Explain alternatives, explain your take on it, and let her make an informed choice. If she really wants to leave it at that point, I don't see a problem with it.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
What kind of school does she attend? You mentioned she's in a special class, and I'm wondering if the school is public, private, charter...?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think it is shallow to believe that religious scholarship is a necessity in life. I remember being 11 years old and I wasn't brain dead. An atheist can develop from an 11 year old child just as Christians develop from 11 year olds. Children are quite capable of handling philosophy if it interests them. You're acting like you can't hold a conversation with a child about religion or atheism. I'm guessing you don't have children.

And even aside from that, the idea of expressing what you believe and not caring what others think about you is far from immature or juvenile. It's quite mature, actually.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
The problem is that alot of Christians are pretentious. They're so dignified and important that they totally miss the meaning of the religion they flock to. Everything is Satan with these people too. Satan this, Satan that. Its completely deranged.

You're preaching to the choir. I can't stand when people think their **** doesn't stink.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If she has the level of self-identity and courage to intentionally and confidentally separate herself from the herd at the age of 11, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Fester

Of course the first thing that comes to my mind is when the children of Christians are taught to believe in God, they are called child abusers. However I see it is different when an atheist teaches their children.
I became a Christian in spite of what my parents taught. Teach them what you want, but the day will come in every child's life when he/she will have to choose his/her own path.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
She says that if they can`t accept her for what she is she doesn`t want their acceptance.
Firstly, can I just say that your daughter kicks ***. Seriously, there aren't many people in the world - especially at her age - who are willing to be as honest and open with their opinions and beliefs as she is and not apologize for them.

Secondly, I'm guessing you've tried asking her simply to remove the "devout" part, but that's the only happy medium I think that would be acceptable, since I find the phrase "devout atheist" is something of an oxymoron anyway. However, if that's how she wants to describe herself, more power to her.

Manfred

Explain alternatives, explain your take on it, and let her make an informed choice. If she really wants to leave it at that point, I don't see a problem with it.
And if this doesn't work, the op can always try to be the parent instead of a friend.
That is of course unless an 11 year old knows best.

CynthiaCypher

And if this doesn't work, the op can always try to be the parent instead of a friend.
That is of course unless an 11 year old knows best.

I agree. All the OP has to do is take that little girls priveleges away if she refuses to obey. Get a spine and act like a parent

Alceste

Vagabond
First, thanks for calling me deut - it's been a long time. :)

In my opinion ...
To believe oneself smarter and more sophisticated than one's peers is seductive, especially for an adolescent in the process of defining/establishing one's sense of self and self-worth, and skepticism is cheap. Most 11 year olds have no sense of philosophy or cosmology. Most are unaware of religious scholarship and incapable of evaluating its worth. Their 'atheism' is necessarily shallow and oft-times counter-cultural. In my opinion it is, at best, qualitatively premature.​
... and I bet she'll turn out great.

And in your opinion is an 11 year old's "atheism" any more shallow than an 11 year old's "faith"? If not, then her profile information is no different than that of her peers. If so, then how?