• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100% lack of evidence to God

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
But do you not think that the history and power of the churches over the ages has had an impact here, besides the education that most get as children? It does actually take some courage and determination to take a look at such - at one's own religion, and religions in general - so as to release oneself from their grip. Many don't want to do this, and many find the task difficult - quite understandable given the complexities involved and the age of much of the material one has to look at.

Why should the church have that power if God is NOT?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Huh? The Bible is univocal that Jesus is fully God and fully man. You have a false equivocation that many false beliefs invalidate a true fact of a text.
What are you going on about? Do you think that a religious belief has to come from the Bible - and not only that, but reflect your interpretation of the Bible - to be a religious belief?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Huh? The Bible is univocal that Jesus is fully God and fully man. You have a false equivocation that many false beliefs invalidate a true fact of a text.

The books of the New Testament were chosen by people who believed that. It was one of the conditions for inclusion in the Bible. So, of course, it is 'univocal' about it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't worship evidence as if it were God. I don't even worship God, for that matter. And I sure don't wait for conclusive evidence to tell me what to think or how to live a life. That's what hope, courage, and faith are for. And the results don't need any evidence, they can speak for themselves.

I wish you could stand back from that and look at what you wrote. The results are the evidence. If you've tested an idea, gotten results that you like, and continued with it to sustain the benefit, you're an empiricist. You don't worship evidence like a God, which is good, but you make judgments based on it, which is also good.

You have a false equivocation that many false beliefs invalidate a true fact of a text.

Where to begin. Equivocation, or the use of vague language and the conflation of different words that sound and look alike is not relevant here. Second, no claim was made that false beliefs invalidate a true one.

What I actually wrote: Or they can all be right, so please back up your faith-based claim here.

Your comment is the faith-based one if you belief that mutually exclusive ideas can both be correct in the same sense at the same time. This is a violation of one of the most basic tenets of reasoning, noncontradiction. To hold a belief that flies in the face of that is faith-based, sometimes referred to as doublethink: "Doublethink is a process of indoctrination in which subjects are expected to simultaneously accept two conflicting beliefs as truth, often at odds with their own memory or sense of reality." The concept comes out of the book 1984 by Orwell, and is an example of the perversion of reason by indoctrination - political propaganda in case of the book.

Name one thing in the known universe outside religion that nearly everyone believes despite contrary evidence.

There is no such thing. You want to offer your deity as a counterexample, which is believed in despite contrary evidence, but not universally. It is only believed by Christians despite contrary evidence. I have given the evidence against the deity of the Christian Bible on this site several times, but Christians so far haven't been interested in acknowledging that they read it, much less rebut it. It's the same evidence that supports the theory of evolution, which, even though it can never be enough to "prove" the theory beyond a reasonable doubt, has already falsified the claim that an honest, benevolent deity that wants to be known, believed, loved, obeyed, and worshiped created the tree of life on earth.

That evidence indisputably says otherwise. It says that if evolution is ever falsified, it will need to be replaced by deceptive intelligent designer, one that went to great pains to make it look like a process that never occurred actually had. The old evidence never goes away even if the theory does. It just needs to be reinterpreted in the light of that falsifying find to reflect an deceptive intelligent designer.

And other deities that are believed in, such as the deist deity, are also not believed in despite contrary evidence. They are believed in despite insufficient supporting evidence.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that what you do with children as an atheist? That is ridiculous on its face, "Everyone is an atheist then makes us stories to stop kids from asking why ALL THE TIME." I guess the kids are born atheists but find God at age 5, is it?

No. Kids like to ask questions. But we don't have the answer to every question, so parents made up deities to explain thunder, and why things happen out of our control. Those stories became part of the culture (like Santa Claus), but the adults who wanted simple answers also kept believing in them.

The true answers take a lot more investigation, thinking, and skepticism than those given by religion. So the religious 'answers' are easier to explain to those who don't want to do the work required for real understanding.

Also, many of the answers cannot be verified immediately. So, the existence of atoms wasn't actually proven until a bit over 100 years ago. Other galaxies were not proven until after that.

So, rather than live with the actual uncertainty of the answers, some people prefer the quick simple answer to the truth.

At least, that's how I see it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean, everyone is born atheist and then when YOUNG CHILDREN ASK who were BORN ATHEIST, we fill in the gaps?! :(

We don't have all of the answers. So we make up stories. That is how religions get started and why there are so many different ones.

The gaps aren't actually fill by religion: they are simply smoothed over. To actually fill the gaps takes skepticism, testing, logical thought, and a willingness to admit it when you are wrong. Religions don't usually like those values.

At least, that is how I see it.

muhammad_isa

name one thing in religion that nearly everyone agrees with.
The vast majority of religious believers are Christians and Muslims.
They have the belief in the monotheistic G-d of Abraham in common.

The only other significant percentage [15%] of "believers" are Hindus. That is more complex to understand, as many Hindus are also atheists.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Do they?

The vast majority of Christians adhere to the Nicene creed, which says that God has a triune aspect. The vast majority of Moslems reject this. Remember that Jesus is God in the Christian tradition, but a prophet in the Islamic one. Again, a pretty substantial difference in beliefs.

It seems to me that they believe in very different deities even if they trace the cultural aspect back to the same source.

The only other significant percentage [15%] of "believers" are Hindus. That is more complex to understand, as many Hindus are also atheists.

So we have three large camps that disagree on most particulars.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member

And Jews believe in Abraham too. But do they believe in Christianity or Islam? And then do Christians believe in Islam. And, then if we add the Baha'is, they also believe in Abraham and are rejected by Judaism, Christianity and Islam. But, even though Islam has Abraham in common with Christianity, how many things do Muslims and Christians disagree about? It looks to me there is enough to make them incompatible.