• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

100 ft-statue of Kuan Yin

Bishka

Veteran Member
For Feathers.

Located in Malaysia.

Here's a view from Google Earth:

100ft.jpg

and then the real deal:

penang-goddesskeklock5.jpg

he Kek Lok Si Temple (Penang Hokkien for "Temple of Supreme Bliss"; Simplified Chinese: 极乐寺; Traditional Chinese: 極樂寺) is a Buddhist temple situated in Air Itam in Penang and is one of the best known temples on the island.

The construction of the temple begun in 1893 and was inspired by the chief monk of the Goddess of Mercy Temple at Pitt Street. With the support of the consular representative of China in Penang, the project received the sanction of the Manchu Emperor Guangxu, who bestowed a tablet and gift of 70,000 volumes of the Imperial Edition of the Buddhist Sutras.

In 1930, the seven storey main pagoda of the temple or the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas, was completed. This pagoda combines a Chinese octagonal base with a middle tier of Thai design, and a Burmese crown; reflecting the temple's embrace of both Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism.

In 2002, a 30.2m bronze statue of the Kuan Yin was completed and opened to public. The statue is located on the hillside above the pagoda.

Taken from the grand ole' wiki

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
There is one in Houston that is almost as big; 6 stories which works out to about 70 feet, I think. It is the largest one in North America to date. It is at a Vietnamese Buddhist temple, and they also have a sculpture garden with several different scenes from the Buddha's life.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
That sounds like a place to make a pilgramage to, Engyo!

Thanks for the article, Becky! I'm not sure if I could go to such a beautiful statue without crying- but it'd be worth it!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Big statues are passe in India, every city has a few (generally Shiva or the monkey god Hanuman). In history, we had till recently the Bamian Buddha. The current oldest is the Jain monolithic statue of Gomateshwara in Sravanabelagola, Karnataka (56 feet).
statue-gomateswara-gomateswara.jpg

Last edited:

dragondaughter

She's beautiful. I'm not sure I could see her in person without crying either. She's the goddess I turn to when I'm feeling down or need guidance.:bow:

dragondaughter

There's a 50 foot Quan Am statue at a Buddhist monastery in Adelanto Ca. I think I'll go Google her. I've never heard of her. It's always been Quan Yin.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
There's a 50 foot Quan Am statue at a Buddhist monastery in Adelanto Ca. I think I'll go Google her. I've never heard of her. It's always been Quan Yin.
I believe they are the same; just different pronunciations of the name.

In Japan the name is Kannon or Kanzeon; in Tibetan, Avalokitesvara.

Kuvalya_Dharmasindhu

Nondualistic Bhakta
I believe they are the same; just different pronunciations of the name.

In Japan the name is Kannon or Kanzeon; in Tibetan, Avalokitesvara.

Namaste,

Actually, Engyo-ji, in Tibetan he is called Chenrezig. It's in India that the name Avalokitesvara originated.

*Pranams*