• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 ways to improve gas milage

Pah

Uber all member
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/a/ttgasmileage.htm
About, Hybrid Cars
By Eric Powers

1. Slow down.
Driving the speed limit, rather than 5 to 10 miles over it, can have a significant impact on gas mileage, especially at highway speeds. If you're not sure what speed to travel, a good rule of thumb is to "Drive like you have a soon-to-be licensed teenager in the passenger seat and there is a police car following you."

2. Gradually slow for stop lights.
Rather than rush up to a red light, start slowing down in advance of the light. This may allow the light to turn green before you reach it, meaning you can cruise right through. It takes less fuel to accelerate a car that is in motion than one that is at a dead stop.

3. Regularly check your tire pressure.
Keeping tires properly inflated will help increase gas mileage.

4. Avoid abrupt accelleration.
The "jack rabbit" start is one of the biggest fuel wasters. Accelerating smoothly yet briskly accomplishes the task of getting a car up to speed without using as much gas.

5. Link several short trips together, starting with the farthest away trip first.
Linking trips together helps keep the car at operating temperature. Starting with the farthest away trip allows the engine to have more time to get up to operating temperature.

6. Don't let your car idle for long periods of time.
While it may be nice to have your car's interior temperature at the "perfect" setting the moment you step in, the unnecessary idling means results in zero miles per gallon during the idling period.

7. Keep your car properly maintained.
Blocked air filters, dirty oil, and lack of attention to other maintenance items all decrease gas mileage.

8. Calculate your gas mileage on a regular basis.
By being more aware of your gas mileage, you are more likely to make changes. Sometimes it may mean a change of driving habits. Other times it may mean a change of cars.

9. Purchase a fuel consumption gauge.
A fuel consumption display can help you see, in real time, how your driving habits are impacting your gas mileage. If your car does not already have one, you can purchase an aftermarket gauge that plugs into your car. There are many available on the market. One I previously reviewed is called ScanGauge .

10. Reduce your use of airconditioning.
Most air conditioners run off of pulleys attached to the motor. This creates extra drag which makes the engine work harder. At lower speeds roll down you windows and enjoy some fresh air. When you reach highway speeds though, keep the windows up and the air conditioning on. At highway speeds the open windows create a larger amount of wind resistance than the running the air conditioning.

fromthe heart

Just bumping these up...does anyone have any other ideas that reduce gas comsumption?

I personally have done all the ones listed especially the do more in one trip idea..we plan all our needs to do on just one day trip out so that the gas comsumption is less and we still accomplish the same things.

Recently I learned that a lot of the favorite model cars on the road are not being made after this year and I asked why and was told not sure why...but I assume it's to introduce more fuel efficient vehicles for the 2007 model years...if you are thinking about a new car purchase you may want to wait until the new models come out to see just what is going to be introduced...if you want to by a certian type of vehicle you may want to find out if it's being discontinued after this year models.

Just a little fuel for thought...smiles,
FTH:)

A

angellous_evangellous

Thanks, Pah. I recently told my wife to drive slower to save gas and she looked at me like it's the stupidest thing that I ever said.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I'd add one to that list (from my own observation). We have a dinky little screen which shows everything digitally, and one option is the display of average MPG; the mini computer under the bonnet somehow works this out.........:cover:

I've been watching that display. Of course, for you Americans, this might not work, because here, the norm is a manual shift.

If you do have a manual shift, try to change gear up and down as seldom as possible. I have sat with my son when he has driven into town; being a young impatient lad, he may have changed from 3rd to 4th, back down again, back up........heck, I used to do it!

But with this display, I have noticed how I can be driving the car at the same speed, and get a very different fuel usage. At thirty (the limit here in built up areas), in 4th, I guess around 40 Mpg; in 3rd, probably more like 25Mpg........

If you know the roads, time the trip right,I can do that same trip as my son without changing gear once.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
fromthe heart said:
Just bumping these up...does anyone have any other ideas that reduce gas comsumption?...
Oooohhh..ooohhh...pick me!:D

CLEAN OUT YOUR CAR! Years ago, one of my buddies got a small 4 cylinder Toyota truck for better gas mileage than his old clunker. One day, he was complaining about the low MPG, and a quick inspection of the bed revealed about 500 lbs in extra stuff.:eek: I mean, do you really need to carry 6 bowling balls around all the time or a massive tool box when you work behind a desk.:p I don't recall the formula for how much the extra weight hurts MPG, but I know it's a bigger deal for smaller cars.

For those people who are serious about getting better MPG, by 2007, the US is supposed to get the 'cleaner' diesel fuel:clap: and then we'll get the economical, powerful, and cleaner burning diesel cars Europe has enjoyed for many years. The MPG numbers on our VW NewBeetle 1.8 gas turbo are 23/29 (city/highway) while the turbo diesel gets 35/42 A/T and 37/44 5sp manual.

Anyway, thanks Pah for posting this list and fromtheheart for bumping it. Definitely some good tips we all can use.

fromthe heart

I noticed no one has mentioned the risks and benefits of car-pooling...Car pooling works well but there are some things I would gladly pay more for...:D

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Speaking of pickups.... especially at highway speeds, the tailgate of a pickup truck creates quite a bit of drag. To remove that drag, you can drive with the tailgate down (when you're not hauling stuff in the truck, of course). Other solutions are to add a bed cover or camper shell (though the shell can add a bit of weight).

Tiberius

A great way to reduce petrol/gas costs...

For shorter trips, don't use the car. Walk or ride a bike.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I can attest to the "drive slower" bit. I calculate how much gas mileage I get every week, and last week when I drove 5 miles faster than I normally do to get to school (~30 miles away) for one day, I got 3 miles less to the gallon than I normally do. Driving slower helps! :)

EDIT:

Tiberius, if I could ride a bike anywhere, I would. Unforunately I live in the middle of nowhere, and the closest convenience station is 8 miles away.

Tiberius

Well, more suitable for some areas than others. The plus side is that you probably plan your trips, if you have to visit an accountant, you do your grocery shopping and go to the cinema at the same time. People in more built up areas might make three trips for that. So even though you make longer trips, you make fewer of them, I'd bet.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Buy a fuel-efficient motorcycle or scooter for trips that don't involve hauling a lot of stuff. Fourty or fifty MPG is nothing unusual on two wheels, and some bikes can do a lot better than that. Basic liability insurance for non-sport motorcycles, in the US at least, is also dirt cheap.

Melody

In an effort to be a better steward of the earth (and its resources), my husband and I recently decided to own one car instead of two. During nice weather he rides his bicycle the 10 mile round trip to work and since I work from our home, the car sits idle many days. We only shop once a week for perishables and every month for the bulk stuff. All of this has reduced our gas consumption.

I no longer do 70 in the 70 mph zones. I put it on 55 and hit cruise control. I'm amazed that I'm getting 5-7 mpg more. It seems like so little but it does add up.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Walking's a good way........... Started off as a trite Joke, but I actually mean it.

Look at the way society has changed.

Even I (I started my 25 year career in 1969) , spent at least 24 of those years walking to work.

My parents never had a car until my Father was 50. Oh, sure, as the chief of Administration, he had a chauffeur and car; but he used to walk and cycle to work.

It is we all who have chosen to work far away from home. Commuting 100 miles each way a day to work ?:rolleyes:

I dread to think how many do that each day, here in England; Go on a motorway early in the morning, and see the crowds of cars all vying for first place, each with no one more than the driver.

niceguy

Tiberius said:
Well, more suitable for some areas than others. The plus side is that you probably plan your trips, if you have to visit an accountant, you do your grocery shopping and go to the cinema at the same time. People in more built up areas might make three trips for that. So even though you make longer trips, you make fewer of them, I'd bet.

Planning is a good idea and this wil reduce the fuel cost but one little problem: Grocery! Whatever you do, make grocery shopping the LAST part of the trip, saving some gas and then be forced to call in sick for a few days due to food posioning is not a good idea. Never break the cold chain for longer time then absolutly neccesary, anything that was storder cold in the shop must be placed cold as fast as possible or you will have a problem with groth of bacteria in your food.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
niceguy said:
Planning is a good idea and this wil reduce the fuel cost but one little problem: Grocery! Whatever you do, make grocery shopping the LAST part of the trip, saving some gas and then be forced to call in sick for a few days due to food posioning is not a good idea. Never break the cold chain for longer time then absolutly neccesary, anything that was storder cold in the shop must be placed cold as fast as possible or you will have a problem with groth of bacteria in your food.

Not really a problem for us vegetarians! :angel2:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seyorni said:
Buy a fuel-efficient motorcycle or scooter for trips that don't involve hauling a lot of stuff. Fourty or fifty MPG is nothing unusual on two wheels, and some bikes can do a lot better than that. Basic liability insurance for non-sport motorcycles, in the US at least, is also dirt cheap.

I would, but statistics tell me not to do so. In our little overcrowded road system, the casualities of road accidents (especially in the case of cyclists and bikers) is absolutely horrendous. Heh, I even managed to find statistics.
http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/statistics.htm
Motorcyclists
  • <LI class=bullets>585 motorcyclists were killed in road accidents in 2004 <LI class=bullets>6,063 were seriously injured <LI class=bullets>Motorcyclists represent 1% of traffic but represent 19% of deaths and serious injuries
  • Motorcycle riders are over 40 times more likely to be killed than car drivers
Cyclists
  • <LI class=bullets>134 pedal cyclists were killed in road accidents in 2004
  • 2,174 were seriously injured
Plus, the ability to get my leg over to sit in a saddle is limited since my hip replacement ( and the other one is 'on it's way out). Plus, my wife won't let me.........:sad4:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Point taken, Michel.
But I wonder how much of this carnage is due to the apparent fact that quite a few of these bikers are mad Adrenaline junkies -- or half pissed? :rolleyes: