• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 things about your city (or town)

Energy

Seeker
Is that 26 [decimal point] 000 citizens or 26,000?

Because if it's 26,000 and you say that is a small town, then I live in a village! :p

Oh, I forgot to say that the 26.000 people do not only live in this particular town. There's an area called *NAME OF MY HOMETOWN*. And this area consists of multiple villages, and the 'capital' of this area is *Name of hometown*. So the 26.000 people must be divided over multiple villages. I don't know how much people live in my town. ;)

dust1n

Zindīq
Pensacola

1. Population of Pensacola Metro area is a little under 450k. Metro area consists of two whole counties. The thinkness of the city in reality is only about 35 miles in circumference.

2. Pensacola is the only city in the United States which has been under control from 5 different English based countries. (Spain, France, Britain, Confederacy, America).

3. Because the waves are so small and little sand is picked up by water, the sun bleaches the beaches out until they are white. We have some of the whitest sand in the world.

4. The local economy thrives off of the navy base and tourism now-a-days, which adds to Pensacola's problem of keeping educated you people in town. A lack of high paying jobs plagues Pensacola, and the county is designated as the economically worst place to live in Florida.

5. Emmitt Smith is from here.

6. Pensacola was placed in the top 5 gay-friendly places in America. Can't remember when or by who.

7. Our music scene is large for its size, especially in the 90's, where folk-punk found it's main origins.

8. 16% of the population lives below the poverty line.

9. Um.. we have two vegan restaurants?

10. A lady mysteriously walks around covered in plastic bags.

Alceste

Vagabond
Pensacola

1. Population of Pensacola Metro area is a little under 450k. Metro area consists of two whole counties. The thinkness of the city in reality is only about 35 miles in circumference.

2. Pensacola is the only city in the United States which has been under control from 5 different English based countries. (Spain, France, Britain, Confederacy, America).

3. Because the waves are so small and little sand is picked up by water, the sun bleaches the beaches out until they are white. We have some of the whitest sand in the world.

4. The local economy thrives off of the navy base and tourism now-a-days, which adds to Pensacola's problem of keeping educated you people in town. A lack of high paying jobs plagues Pensacola, and the county is designated as the economically worst place to live in Florida.

5. Emmitt Smith is from here.

6. Pensacola was placed in the top 5 gay-friendly places in America. Can't remember when or by who.

7. Our music scene is large for its size, especially in the 90's, where folk-punk found it's main origins.

8. 16% of the population lives below the poverty line.

9. Um.. we have two vegan restaurants?

10. A lady mysteriously walks around covered in plastic bags.

Another thing about Pensacola, according to the character playing Jody Foster's character's younger self in Contact, Pensacola is the southernmost point in the US. I think. Been a long time since I saw that, but I think I remember that was the first time I ever heard of your town. Unless that was some other town. And I'm not sure I got the factoid right. For some reason she was trying to contact Pensacola in the radio. Or something. Never mind. :p

dust1n

Zindīq
Another thing about Pensacola, according to the character playing Jody Foster's character's younger self in Contact, Pensacola is the southernmost point in the US. I think. Been a long time since I saw that, but I think I remember that was the first time I ever heard of your town. Unless that was some other town. And I'm not sure I got the factoid right. For some reason she was trying to contact Pensacola in the radio. Or something. Never mind. :p

That's Key West!

map_of_florida.gif

Look at the very top left of the state, at the bottom left corner!

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Highland Village, Texas

- 15,000 residents
- Annual hot air balloon festival sponsored by the Lions Club.
- Typical houses are two-storied and over 2,000 square feet.
- I once ran for mayor of the town when I was 18. :rolleyes:
- About thirty minutes north of Dallas, which is convenient since I have to drive to Denton (thirty minutes north of my own city) for school.
- Sits on a lake.
... Yeah, can't think of much.

TheQueenCat

Animal Lover
Istanbul

*Museums
*F.S.M and Bosphorus Bridges
*Palaces
*Nature
*Sightseeing
*The Princes' Islands
*Shopping
*Luxury
*Various cultures
*unfortunately ignorant people

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I live in a small town in central Indiana, but I've only been here for two years. I'm from down south, Alabama and South Carolina, and oftentimes I miss being down there. But I can list five of ten things about this small town all at once: it sucks. But I'll give it an honest try.
1. Population of just under 2500
2. One factory, they make pillows (my ex-wife/girl friend works there)
3. Six churches
4. TWO bars, and one liquor store (it's ridiculous)
5. No stop lights
6. It does have a Ford car lot
7. It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere
8. There's nothing to do after 8 pm
9. It's 99% white people
10. If I grew up here or near here, or I was a conservative Christian, I probably would like it more

Viker

Häxan
Louisville, KY

The Kentucky Derby
The first modern public waterworks in US
Was the largest western city until everyone moved to Chicago
Was a fort then a village then a fort and then an actual city
Hometown of Hunter S. Thompson
Bourbon ( oh yeah! )
Has a scary but awesome river
You can go to jail for an ice cream cone in your pocket
It's now a confusing metro civic area
Hometown of Muhammad Ali.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Hartselle, Al, a little town in the northern part of Alabama, and I do mean little.

1. Was voted one of the 100 Best Small Towns in America for a few years back in the 90's.
2. Part of "Dixie Alley", the second of four Tornado Alleys, and some meteorologists consider it worse than the one in the Plains.
3. No one famous comes from here. (A MLB pitcher lived here, but he wasn't very famous)
4. It's in the Bible Belt (which is hard for a liberal Buddhist like me)
5. It has an annual "Depot Days" festival during spring, in honor of the old CSX line depot that the town was built around.
6. For such a small town, it has WAY too many antique stores.
7. It's hot during the summer and fall, hot during the spring, and mild during the winter.
8. It only snows about every 3-5 years, and when it does, it's one day, and it's barely measurable, and yet everything still shuts down like it's the apocalypse.
9. I can't think of anything else, but I do want to add this last thing: Hartselle, like all of North Alabama, is, in my opinion, one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth. The natural beauty of the varied landscapes is hard to beat. From the Appalachian Mountains, the Tennessee River, dozens of lakes, caves, forests, waterfalls, it's a painters or photographers dream come true.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hartselle, Al, a little town in the northern part of Alabama, and I do mean little.

1. Was voted one of the 100 Best Small Towns in America for a few years back in the 90's.
2. Part of "Dixie Alley", the second of four Tornado Alleys, and some meteorologists consider it worse than the one in the Plains.
3. No one famous comes from here. (A MLB pitcher lived here, but he wasn't very famous)
4. It's in the Bible Belt (which is hard for a liberal Buddhist like me)
5. It has an annual "Depot Days" festival during spring, in honor of the old CSX line depot that the town was built around.
6. For such a small town, it has WAY too many antique stores.
7. It's hot during the summer and fall, hot during the spring, and mild during the winter.
8. It only snows about every 3-5 years, and when it does, it's one day, and it's barely measurable, and yet everything still shuts down like it's the apocalypse.
9. I can't think of anything else, but I do want to add this last thing: Hartselle, like all of North Alabama, is, in my opinion, one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth. The natural beauty of the varied landscapes is hard to beat. From the Appalachian Mountains, the Tennessee River, dozens of lakes, caves, forests, waterfalls, it's a painters or photographers dream come true.

You are absolutely right about North Alabama. Not many people outside of that area really seem to know how beautiful it is. Same with north Georgia and "north South Carolina."

I'm going to be traveling through WV, KY, and TN in a few weeks - through the Appalachians. I am really looking forward to it! I LOVE the Appalachians!

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
You are absolutely right about North Alabama. Not many people outside of that area really seem to know how beautiful it is. Same with north Georgia and "north South Carolina."

I'm going to be traveling through WV, KY, and TN in a few weeks - through the Appalachians. I am really looking forward to it! I LOVE the Appalachians!

I suggest that anyone who has never been to the Great Smoky Mountains on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina do so. It's beautiful through there.

Kathryn

I suggest that anyone who has never been to the Great Smoky Mountains on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina do so. It's beautiful through there.

You are so right.

I spent 10 years of my life living in TN, NC, VA, and MD. What a beautiful, beautiful part of our country. Though I lived in the coastal region of three of those states (also FANTASTIC), I have spent many a vacation in the beautiful, haunting Shenandoah Valley.

I honestly think that's why I love bluegrass music so much. Not just the twangy type, either - I especially love the poignant, desolate type of bluegrass.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
You are so right.

I spent 10 years of my life living in TN, NC, VA, and MD. What a beautiful, beautiful part of our country. Though I lived in the coastal region of three of those states (also FANTASTIC), I have spent many a vacation in the beautiful, haunting Shenandoah Valley.

I honestly think that's why I love bluegrass music so much. Not just the twangy type, either - I especially love the poignant, desolate type of bluegrass.

I've always wanted to drive the entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but I just haven't had the chance yet. I'm hoping to someday though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Beautiful to yooz guys who gets ta rubberneck while you drive. Me, I be haul'n tons'o iron up & down them mountains,
try'n to plan my gear ratios & speeds soz I don't need me brakes. (I gots a gasser...no diesel with a jake brake.)
I saves'm for emergencies, lest theys overheat & wear. t did look purty when I gots me the occasional glance out da
winder. Most'o da time, I just be avoid'n get'n white knuckles.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I live in Newport News, VA.

1. I'm about a half hour away from the Atlantic Ocean.
2. I live on a Peninsula and am surrounded by lovely water.
3. I'm surrounded by lots of trees (but hate raking the leaves they shed in the fall).
4. I am about two and half hours away from beautiful mountains.
5. I live in suburbia but am a short drive away from lovely parks, small rural areas and quaint hide-aways.
6. I live near City Center, which has a pretty fountain that is romantic. Awww.
7. Nothern VA and DC isn't far at all.
8. I can speed demon drive to work in little time.
9. Everything is within short driving distance and it's crazy as to how many McDonalds and Starbucks are within a six mile radius from my house.
10. DIVERSITY - I love living in a cultured area.

Kathryn

I live in Newport News, VA.

1. I'm about a half hour away from the Atlantic Ocean.
2. I live on a Peninsula and am surrounded by lovely water.
3. I'm surrounded by lots of trees (but hate raking the leaves they shed in the fall).
4. I am about two and half hours away from beautiful mountains.
5. I live in suburbia but am a short drive away from lovely parks, small rural areas and quaint hide-aways.
6. I live near City Center, which has a pretty fountain that is romantic. Awww.
7. Nothern VA and DC isn't far at all.
8. I can speed demon drive to work in little time.
9. Everything is within short driving distance and it's crazy as to how many McDonalds and Starbucks are within a six mile radius from my house.
10. DIVERSITY - I love living in a cultured area.

OMG. I used to live in Newport News, on Kerry Lake Drive. In fact, it was 515 Kerry Lake Drive - I lived there when I was a kid, and now my daughter lives there, on base! I go there about once a year to visit her! I went to Sanford Elementary School!

Virginia was my favorite place to live out of all the places we moved to when I was a child!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
OMG. I used to live in Newport News, on Kerry Lake Drive. In fact, it was 515 Kerry Lake Drive - I lived there when I was a kid, and now my daughter lives there, on base! I go there about once a year to visit her! I went to Sanford Elementary School!

Virginia was my favorite place to live out of all the places we moved to when I was a child!

I live in Oyster Point. Next time you visit, we should have coffee! :)