• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Reasons to Call for a Minimum Wage of More than $10.10

tytlyf

Not Religious
It's starting to look like the 'minimum wage' is becoming another reason for slackers to depend on the government..just saying. Quick question, would you turn down the opportunity to become one of "1%-ers"?
That's funny, does the government now pick up the tab on the difference? Never heard that before. As I've said in the past, raising the minimum wage will result in less people on welfare/food stamps. Surprising that you aren't for it.

As far as your top 1% question, I could care less. I'd rather make 50k a year and live stress free instead of making 100k a year with little time to enjoy life and dreading waking up for work. It's all about quality of life for me.

The real question is this, why do you support the top 1% as a christian? You do realize that when you vote republican you are voting for that top. The illusion is that you think you're voting in your best interests. (I blame the propaganda).

"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."
-Matthew 19-24

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Henry Ford seemed to think that raising the minimum wage was a good thing. All these boogyman stories about how raising the minimum wage will only lead to more downfall, is just more BS from those 1%ers who don't want to lose their pawns in their sick little game.

$10.10 an hour isn't the best, but it's a start. You have to take small steps to try to catch back up with how far we're behind. Of course, one of the big reasons for the need to raise minimum wage is due to corporations who, in my opinion, are mostly responsible for inflation. Capitalism has created a sick game, and one that conservatives seem all too eager to play. The only cost is the lives of the rest of us.

ZooGirl02

I am definitely for an increase in the minimum wage. To be honest with you, I'd prefer a living wage. What that means is that the wage of each person would be dependent on various factors such as the cost of living in their area.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
What I'm having trouble understanding, is why some people (conservatives) think that it's ok for some people to not make enough money to live. I'd really like someone to be able to explain that to me.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
What I'm having trouble understanding, is why some people (conservatives) think that it's ok for some people to not make enough money to live. I'd really like someone to be able to explain that to me.
From what I have seen it seems many are stuck with an out dated mindset that minimum wage is only for teens still living at home. This may have been true a couple decades ago. But it is far from reality now. For some reason they can't see this.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

It comes down to perceiving people as human capital, and human capital that can't be trusted to better themselves.

And "bettering themselves" means not going to college for a degree in any of the humanities, arts, and social sciences. It means only getting a degree in what can be extended in Big Ag, Big Pharm, Big Oil, or Big Banking. Or if you can't get something in any of these narrowly focused industries, it means joining the military to be a part of the military industrial complex machine and continues expanding the American Empire as much as possible.

Otherwise, human capital can't be trusted, can't contribute to the public, and doesn't provide any worth. That is why somebody like me, who in spite of the fact that I own a business and have opened more jobs and contract opportunities to others around me, doesn't deserve a living wage in what I do. I'm seen as a burden because I'm a filthy artist.

Funny thing is...I still have family members who ask when I'm going to get a "real job". Makes me want to say "awwww" and pat their ignorant little heads.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
From what I have seen it seems many are stuck with an out dated mindset that minimum wage is only for teens still living at home. This may have been true a couple decades ago. But it is far from reality now. For some reason they can't see this.

Well, this too. :yes:

It's part of the Great American Myth. White picket fence with 2.5 kids in their own home with a family car for dad to use while mom stays home and for them all to use when they go on vacation or visit grandma.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It comes down to perceiving people as human capital, and human capital that can't be trusted to better themselves.

And "bettering themselves" means not going to college for a degree in any of the humanities, arts, and social sciences. It means only getting a degree in what can be extended in Big Ag, Big Pharm, Big Oil, or Big Banking. Or if you can't get something in any of these narrowly focused industries, it means joining the military to be a part of the military industrial complex machine and continues expanding the American Empire as much as possible.

Otherwise, human capital can't be trusted, can't contribute to the public, and doesn't provide any worth. That is why somebody like me, who in spite of the fact that I own a business and have opened more jobs and contract opportunities to others around me, doesn't deserve a living wage in what I do. I'm seen as a burden because I'm a filthy artist.

Funny thing is...I still have family members who ask when I'm going to get a "real job". Makes me want to say "awwww" and pat their ignorant little heads.

That's awful. It actually makes me a little sad about myself to work in a factory. And to be honest, if I wasn't married with kids, I'd be living like Thoreau in Walden.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I heard one person point out that folks who are paid so little they're always on the brink of ruin are too insecure to protest their lot. They aren't in a position to complain, for instance, about OSHA violations.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Would you mind terribly if I joined you in doing that. You've accomplished so much. For someone to try to take that from you is obscene, in my book.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I heard one person point out that folks who are paid so little they're always on the brink of ruin are too insecure to protest their lot. They aren't in a position to complain, for instance, about OSHA violations.

How ironic that you mention OSHA on a topic like this. You must be psychic, Phil. :p

Anyway, I knew someone a few years back who worked at a fast food restaurant. They only worked part time, made minimum wage. Anyway, there were so many violations there that said person called OSHA about it, because at least two people, if I remember correctly, had gotten sick. After calling OSHA over a dozen times over a four month period (or something to that extent), OSHA finally came out, just one person, stood around for about five minutes, declared nothing was wrong, and left. And that was that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

If Obama is right for once, the average minimum wage earner today is 35 years old. He said that in a speech last Thursday or Friday.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How ironic that you mention OSHA on a topic like this. You must be psychic, Phil. :p

Anyway, I knew someone a few years back who worked at a fast food restaurant. They only worked part time, made minimum wage. Anyway, there were so many violations there that said person called OSHA about it, because at least two people, if I remember correctly, had gotten sick. After calling OSHA over a dozen times over a four month period (or something to that extent), OSHA finally came out, just one person, stood around for about five minutes, declared nothing was wrong, and left. And that was that.

I'd heard the agency had been underfunded and mismanaged on purpose, but that's the worse story about it that I've come across. Thanks for sharing that.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
If Obama is right for once, the average minimum wage earner today is 35 years old. He said that in a speech last Thursday or Friday.

What alot of people (again, mostly conservatives) are failing to see, is that since the economy tanked, many people who had jobs which paid them well, lost those jobs, and had to take whatever they could get to support their families. This meant that some ended up in fast food joints, convenience stores, department stores, etc. A sad situation, but I grow tired of the conservatives who say that such people deserve what they got, when it's their fault we're in this situation in the first place.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Would you mind terribly if I joined you in doing that. You've accomplished so much. For someone to try to take that from you is obscene, in my book.

Sure, you can join! :D

We have a symposium begun at the university that I'm a key element in, that takes graduating students into a forum atmosphere where myself and other professionals go over with the undergrads their goals and brainstorm, network, and plan with them where they can go and how they can keep building toward their goals. I'm SO excited to be a part of that, since this was the brainchild of the department director.

A few of the students have expressed a real interest in starting their own studios, and have taken some key roads into understanding the theoretical models of how to make their goals a reality....they've double majored in both Dance and Business Management, or in Dance and Marketing.

What gets me, though, is that all the students understand the reality of post-grad work, and that they will need to live in crowded apartments together, and start out for more years than their peers in other industries without a living wage. I know how hard that is. When we hear people who give us financial advice like buying a home or saving up $50,000 to invest or use as a down payment, we laugh until we cry. For a working professional in the arts, it's downright impossible to save that much, even when you have a solid gig.

Unless you're a trust fund kid. Then it's easier. But that would be applicable in all fields of interest, then. :D

Anyway, I keep thinking about what would have happened if working dancers (who are mostly non-union), earned minimum wage for a 40 hour work week. First, we would feel like we were living like royalty. Second, the bulk of opportunities likely would be gone since there is little money in the dance industry as a whole. At least back when I was depending on that income and serving food to survive.

That's the code I'd like to break for future dancers. A living wage for a substantial portion of the industry.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's starting to look like the 'minimum wage' is becoming another reason for slackers to depend on the government..just saying. Quick question, would you turn down the opportunity to become one of "1%-ers"?

Why does minimum wage = burden on the government when its the exact opposite?

Though its an interesting proposal. I would enjoy being part of the 1% but I doubt I would stay there very long. I would donate a lot of my money and try to help my community as well as actually pay my taxes. So I doubt I would be able to keep the vast fortune long enough to be considered the 1% for very long. Or I would try to create several small bushiness that I would then receive money back from in huge returns that would allow me to stay in the 1%.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why does minimum wage = burden on the government when its the exact opposite?

Though its an interesting proposal. I would enjoy being part of the 1% but I doubt I would stay there very long. I would donate a lot of my money and try to help my community as well as actually pay my taxes. So I doubt I would be able to keep the vast fortune long enough to be considered the 1% for very long. Or I would try to create several small bushiness that I would then receive money back from in huge returns that would allow me to stay in the 1%.

You're not thinking big enough, then. To stay in the 1%, you'd have to be into empire-building. ;)

Yadon

Fact is, if the minimum wage raised with the top 1%'s increase in wages, we would be at about $28 dollars an hour.

I'll let the other facts speak for themselves... if you are against raising the minimum wage you are AGAINST fair markets and for THIEVERY at the expense of the working class!

rjT8i.jpg

Minimum_wage.png

real-min-wage-under-alternative-scenarios-1950-20121.png

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Quotes - Keep the Middle Class Alive!

“I can’t stand the pompous among us who complain about welfare. The biggest welfare recipients in the United States are the richest people.”

- Larry King, (1995)

“A line of Army convoy trucks filled with food, stretching to the moon and back. This is food taken from the poor by the wealthiest nation in the world.”

- Larry Brown, (after Congress cut $30 billion from nutritional programs, 1997

“We can either have democracy in this country or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can’t have both.”

- Louis Brandeis

“Our inequality materializes our upper class, vulgarizes our middle class, brutalizes our lower class.”

- Matthew Arnold, (1822-1888)

“America wasn’t founded as a nation where winner takes all but over the last couple of decades, that’s the way it has turned out. The central vision of “We, the people” has been distorted and manipulated by the powerful and privileged doing their damnedest as they wage class war to sustain their way of life at the expense of everybody else.”

- Michael Winship

:confused: