• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Reasons NOT to vote for Ron Paul

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
And you think you can just start doing that without serving an apprenticeship?
You're even younger than Obama, & look how he botched his despotism.
Just being smarter than he is will not be enuf, young padawan.

Can I blow up stuff in Revoltistan? Give me some kewl laser guns and doomsday devices and I shall call you Master.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can I blow up stuff in Revoltistan? Give me some kewl laser guns and doomsday devices and I shall call you Master.
I actually have a tenant working on industrial lasers.
I told'm I want a phaser.
We shall see.....we shall see....
But we'll start with Revoltistan's enemies.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
He's a quack. I think he has so many fanboys because he's different from other politicians and that's what everyone really wants right now: someone who's not a typical Republican/Democrat. Unfortunately, "anything different" doesn't necessarily equate to better...

Yep - I think Obama's proven that last point quite succinctly.

Kathryn

And to think I was feeling a bit guilty for going over 1600 calories today...

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
One reason to not vote for him that stands out is the fact he is completely wrong about economics. The Austrian school is poo.

Mazdak

Do me a favor and answer this:

1. Ron Paul does not value equal rights for minorities.
Does he deny "minority rights" or is he for majority rights?

2. Ron Paul would deny women control of their bodies and reproductive rights.
Is he for denying women's rights, or is he for protecting the rights of the unborn?

6. A Ron Paul administration would continue to proliferate the negative image of the US among other nations.
Haven't other presidents proliferated a negative image of the US by keeping troops abroad, and invading other countries? And why would it worsen if we pulled troops out?

7. Ron Paul discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation and would not provide equal rights and protections to glbt citizens.
Does Ron Paul "discriminate," or is he for the protection of the family and preserving the sanctity of marriage?

8. Ron Paul has an unnatural obsession with guns.
Is Ron Paul for grabbing our guns, or is he for the our 2nd Amendement Rights?

9. Ron Paul would butcher our already sad educational system.
While it is true that the school system is in trouble, it is due to Federal laws such as "no child left behind" which force a form of standardization which forces people to conform to the lowest denominator.

10. Ron Paul is opposed to the separation of church and state.
Or is he for freedom of religion?

xkatz

2012 is gonna suck. All the candidates are horrid. Obama is plutocrat, Bachmann is a nutjob, Perry is Bush III, Paul is... Interesting. Why can't there be a GOOD option?!?!?! :(

Acim

Revelation all the time
"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."
- George Carlin

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
2012 is gonna suck. All the candidates are horrid. Obama is plutocrat, Bachmann is a nutjob, Perry is Bush III, Paul is... Interesting. Why can't there be a GOOD option?!?!?! :(

There's never been one. We've always only ever voted for who we feel is the least evil.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
"In Norway, we put the politicians next to each other and we gives the peoples rocks. Whoever's not dead at the end wins." --Skwisgaar Skwigelf, Metalocalypse

I think it's time for some "Norway" politics!

I think he says Scandinavia actually. In fact, it's been a while since I watched that, so that's just a paraphrase, not a direct quote.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."
- George Carlin

Thanks for providing this. It's great. :D

E. Nato Difficile

I'm voting for whomever the Libertarian Party offers.
Libertarianism seems like the perfect union of unapologetic cynicism and naiveté: it's as if suspicion of the Fed and resentment over taxation excuse a quaint optimism about the free market.

But as I've been shown over and over again, Libertarianism is always exactly what its adherents say it is, and never anything that can be criticized.

Maybe a Libertarian could explain to me, let's just say for example, how we could avoid catastrophes like the BP oil spill in a Libertarian utopia, when it was the absence of responsible government regulation that allowed the disaster to happen in the first place. Is recommending government oversight of industry to preserve the environment really the same as advocating an Orwellian nightmare of totalitarian despotism?

-Nato

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Libertarianism seems like the perfect union of unapologetic cynicism and naiveté: it's as if suspicion of the Fed and resentment over taxation excuse a quaint optimism about the free market.

Generally it's a tragic oversimplification of issues that arises because people are frustrated about fixing government. Why fix something when you can rationalize that doing away with it will lead to better results?

Problem is the Libertarian Party and Ron Paul as well contradict themselves. They want the government to enforce property rights but don't want recourse for the inequalities that result from property. :shrug:

Kathryn

But as I've been shown over and over again, Libertarianism is always exactly what its adherents say it is, and never anything that can be criticized.

Maybe a Libertarian could explain to me, let's just say for example, how we could avoid catastrophes like the BP oil spill in a Libertarian utopia, when it was the absence of responsible government regulation that allowed the disaster to happen in the first place. Is recommending government oversight of industry to preserve the environment really the same as advocating an Orwellian nightmare of totalitarian despotism?

-Nato

Libertarianism is not opposed to government regulations which protect the rights of others. A certain amount of regulation is necessary.

As for the BP oil spill - there were plenty of regulations already in place - they just weren't being adhered to. No amount of government regulations will ever be able to completely offset the propincity of some people to disregard health and safety measures.

Actually the oil and gas industry is already one of the most stringently regulated industries in the world (as it should be). My husband is a "company man" (independent oilfield consultant) and he implements these regulations on a daily basis - and appreciates them. To his credit, there has never been a serious incident or accident on any location he's in charge of. But he's a stickler for safety and good management of local, state, and federal regulations and standards.

Libertarians would not be opposed to these regulations which truly protect the life and property of others.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The unfamiliar often hold such views based upon their fear of losing the comfort & security of the nanny state. But lucky for you, I'm here to help.
There's no reason to apologize for cynicism....tis central to us to distrust giving great power to government. People are greedy, mean, stupid,
power hungry & incompetent (among other things), so we favor having a smaller government with limited function. Preserving civil, social &
economic liberty are our goals. Generally, we would minimize the risks of governmental mischief by keeping it small, minimizing its financial
burden, & limiting its power by observing a strong constitution. I note that you're quick to use dismissive epithets like "naivete" & "quaint",
but they would also apply to your side of this dispute. We've lived with leftist & neo-con big government for a very long time now, & it ain't
work'n too well. Yet people keep expecting that pursuing the same failed policies over & over again will yield different results. Is that sane?

Who is stopping you from criticizing? Certainly this humble minarchist.

Maybe a Libertarian could explain to me, let's just say for example, how we could avoid catastrophes like the BP oil spill in a Libertarian utopia, when it was the absence of responsible government regulation that allowed the disaster to happen in the first place.
The ideal role of regulation is to manage problems which cannot be addressed in tort. Example: If I sell a house on land contract to a buyer who
fails to make the payments, then I can sue for foreclosure & be made whole. The BP oil rig is a different matter because some activities have
ill consequences which are so devastating & costly, that it would be impossible for the plaintiffs to be fully compensated for damage. Especially
in the area of protecting the environment, I see it as very libertarian to prevent others from suffering the effects of oil in our waters, mercury
in the air we breathe, lead in our soil, etc, etc. It is an important civil liberty to breathe clean air & drink pure water. As I see it, we need far
better regulation of oil rigs such as the one you mentioned....one which Obama gave a safety award just prior to the gaffe in the gulf. But I
oppose regulation which has costs greater than its benefits, & can be left to plaintiffs & defendants in the courts.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
We've lived with leftist & neo-con big government for a very long time now, & it ain't
work'n too well. Yet people keep expecting that pursuing the same failed policies over & over again will yield different results. Is that sane?

You seem to be ignoring the fact the nanny state arose because the policy of non-assistance failed during the Gilded Age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You seem to be ignoring the fact the nanny state arose because the policy of non-assistance failed during the Gilded Age.
I ignore nothing. Your opinion about the nanny state is not a "fact".
Let me give you a lesson on discussing things....if you have a rebuttal to an argument, then make it & support it.
If you want to make a claim, tis best if it's relevant & supported. If you want to express an opinion, don't gussy it
up by calling it a "fact". The issue is not failure of "non-assistance", but rather weighing the costs & benefits,
including unintended consequences. Your vaunted safety net (as implemented by our government) has also become
a bloated monster which saps the entrepreneurial spirit from its wards. Is society really better off as a result?
That is arguable.

The upshot of all this is that if you disagree with this way of seeing things, then don't vote for Paul. He ain't yer guy.

Last edited: