• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 people killed in shooting at Colorado supermarket

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Lol.

If I don't have the need or want for an AR-15 or Lamborghini, does that mean no one else should have them?
If you want to own and operate a Lamborghini, you would need to:

• get a driver's license for yourself,
  • register and license your Lamborghini with the government, and
  • get mandatory insurance for your Lamborghini

... and the only Lamborghinis that would be available for you to buy would be ones that met government standards to ensure that the risk of them killing anyone is low.

... and even then, cops would hide in bushes to watch you with your Lamborghini to make sure that you were using it properly. If they find that you're not, you'd be issued a fine. If you use it improperly enough, they could either take away your right to use the Lamborghini or the whole Lamborghini itself.

Is this really the analogy you want to be making? Is that the framework you'd want for AR-15s? Because if so, it would be a major step forward from what your country has now.

As for poisons, all kinds.
Name one.

Name a poison that's:

1. Primarily intended as a poison (as opposed to a product for some other purpose that just happens to be poisonous),
  2. Intended to be used on humans (as opposed to, say, rats or insects), AND
  3. Is easily and legally obtainable by average people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
Gunman, 21, is charged with murder for shooting and killing 10 people | Daily Mail Online
Excerpted....
REVEALED: Syrian-born gunman Ahmad Alissa, 21, was known to the FBI and posted about 'racist Islamophobes' before killing ten at Boulder grocery store after buying automatic rifle one week ago
  • Ahmad Alissa of Arvada, Colorado opened fire at the King Soopers grocery store at 2.40pm
  • He killed two people in the parking lot before entering the store, where he killed another eight people
  • His motive is still not known; when he surrendered to police, he asked to speak to his mother
  • In Facebook posts over the last 18 months, he complained that he didn't have a girlfriend and hated Trump
  • Alissa's brother also told The Daily Beast he was 'very anti-social' and has been 'paranoid' since high school
  • His sister-in-law said she'd seen him playing with a gun recently but did not suspect him of violence
  • The victims range in age from 20 to 65; among them was a cop, shoppers and people who were getting their COVID-19 vaccine
  • The shooting is the seventh mass shooting in the US in a week and comes six days after eight died in Georgia
  • President Biden on Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on assault rifles and tighter laws on background checks

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I consider suicide in most cases a result of an unhealthy mind. Vengeance and targeting specific groups of people is exactly not shooting people at random.
Terrorism is a category of its own and it usually is reported in the media as such. The individual targets are random but the terrorist has a goal behind "just killing people".
In those cases where no apparent reason is to be seen, mental problems are the obvious reason. (Which may be revised when a better explanation can be found later.)
There aren't neat categories for these things. The Columbine massacre alone can fit all 4 reasons I mentioned.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
With mass shooter's the public refers to them as being mentally ill. However many psychiatrists would call it “emotionally disturbed” not “mentally ill” saying their worldview is more emotionally disturbed involving anger, resentment, victimization, and narcissistic grandiosity.
Very good point.

We Never Know

No Slack
Lol.

If I don't have the need or want for an AR-15 or Lamborghini, does that mean no one else should have them?
What poison do you think is intended to kill humans that's freely available?

No issue with your hunting rifles (edit: provided you store and handle them responsibly), but if you keep those pistols for "self defense" and not, say, because you're a competitive pistol shooter, I think less of you because of it.

Can you rephrase that sentence so it's coherent?

"if you keep those pistols for "self defense" and not, say, because you're a competitive pistol shooter, I think less of you because of it."

Lol. First off and most importantly what you think of me doesn't matter to me.
Secondly running a horse ranch being in bsrns, fields etc you run across snakes and such. With a pistol on my side I can keep both hands free to work, or even fish. Try working a horse, feeding, giving shots, fishing ect with one hand and a rifle in the other, Its doesn't work well.
If I am busy I even wear my pistol into town in to the farm store and grocery store. You know why? Because I can lol

We Never Know

No Slack
The blame lays with the people who believe that guns should be widely available.
I think stricter background checks should be done however criminals don't go through background checks.
Ever heard they phrase "don't hate or punish them all because of a few",,,, apply that to gun owners as well.

We Never Know

No Slack
In the news....
Gunman, 21, is charged with murder for shooting and killing 10 people | Daily Mail Online
Excerpted....
REVEALED: Syrian-born gunman Ahmad Alissa, 21, was known to the FBI and posted about 'racist Islamophobes' before killing ten at Boulder grocery store after buying automatic rifle one week ago
  • Ahmad Alissa of Arvada, Colorado opened fire at the King Soopers grocery store at 2.40pm
  • He killed two people in the parking lot before entering the store, where he killed another eight people
  • His motive is still not known; when he surrendered to police, he asked to speak to his mother
  • In Facebook posts over the last 18 months, he complained that he didn't have a girlfriend and hated Trump
  • Alissa's brother also told The Daily Beast he was 'very anti-social' and has been 'paranoid' since high school
  • His sister-in-law said she'd seen him playing with a gun recently but did not suspect him of violence
  • The victims range in age from 20 to 65; among them was a cop, shoppers and people who were getting their COVID-19 vaccine
  • The shooting is the seventh mass shooting in the US in a week and comes six days after eight died in Georgia
  • President Biden on Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on assault rifles and tighter laws on background checks
The shooter Ahmad Alissa had been convicted of assault in 2018. T
In my opinion that shows he can be and has been violent to others so he shouldn't have even been able to purchase or own a weapon.

Edit: Let me add to this. . . Federal law prohibits purchase and possession of firearms and ammunition by people who have been convicted in any court of a “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence"

Isn't domestic violence assult? Which again I say in my opinion anyone convicted of any assault should not be allowed to own guns.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"if you keep those pistols for "self defense" and not, say, because you're a competitive pistol shooter, I think less of you because of it."

Lol. First off and most importantly what you think of me doesn't matter to me.
Secondly running a horse ranch being in bsrns, fields etc you run across snakes and such. With a pistol on my side I can keep both hands free to work, or even fish. Try working a horse, feeding, giving shots, fishing ect with one hand and a rifle in the other, Its doesn't work well.
If I am busy I even wear my pistol into town in to the farm store and grocery store. You know why? Because I can lol
Welcome to the Thought Less Of Club.
(We need a bigger clubhouse.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hearing the news on NPR about the shooting,
the only race mentioned was the shooter's.
He was white, of course.
Not one of the victims had their race mentioned.
I wonder.
I checked.
All vics were white.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He was white, of course.
I wonder.
I checked.
All vics were white.
Since when are Syrians considered white??? (In regards to the shooter.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Colorado suspect got assault weapon 6 days before shooting (apnews.com)

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — The suspect accused of opening fire inside a crowded Colorado supermarket was a 21-year-old man who purchased an assault weapon less than a week earlier, authorities said Tuesday, a day after the attack that killed 10 people, including a police officer.

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa bought the weapon on March 16, just six days before the attack at a King Soopers store in Boulder, according to an arrest affidavit. It was not immediately known where the gun was purchased.

Alissa, who is from the Denver suburb of Arvada, was booked into the county jail Tuesday on murder charges after being treated at a hospital. He was due to make a first court appearance Thursday.

Investigators have not established a motive, but they believe Alissa was the only shooter, Boulder County District Attorney Michael Dougherty said.

A law enforcement official briefed on the shooting said the suspect’s family told investigators they believed Alissa was suffering some type of mental illness, including delusions. Relatives described times when Alissa told them people were following or chasing him, which they said may have contributed to the violence, the official said. The official was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity.

In Washington, President Joe Biden called on Congress to tighten the nation’s gun laws.

“Ten lives have been lost, and more families have been shattered by gun violence in the state of Colorado,” Biden said at the White House.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer vowed to bring forward two House-passed bills to require expanded background checks for gun buyers. Biden supports the measures, but they face a tougher route to passage in a closely divided Senate with a slim Democratic majority.

Apparently, the city of Boulder tried to ban assault weapons in 2018, but the ordinance was struck down.

The shooting came 10 days after a judge blocked a ban on assault rifles passed by the city of Boulder in 2018. That ordinance and another banning large-capacity magazines came after the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead.

A lawsuit challenging the bans was filed quickly, backed by the National Rifle Association. The judge struck down the ordinance under a Colorado law that blocks cities from making their own rules about guns.

After the shooting, detectives went to Alissa’s home and found his sister-in-law, who told them that he had been playing around with a weapon she thought looked like a “machine gun,” about two days earlier, the document said.

No one answered the door at the Arvada home believed to be owned by the suspect’s father. The two-story house with a three-car garage sits in a relatively new middle- and upper-class neighborhood.

When he was a high school senior in 2018, Alissa was found guilty of assaulting a fellow student in class after knocking him to the floor, then climbing on top of him and punching him in the head several times, according to a police affidavit.

Alissa “got up in classroom, walked over to the victim & ‘cold cocked’ him in the head,” the affidavit read. Alissa complained that the student had made fun of him and called him “racial names” weeks earlier, according to the affidavit. He was sentenced to probation and community service.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
He was white, of course.
I wonder.
I checked.
All vics were white.
He was born in Syria. I thought he was Arabic.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Accused Colorado supermarket shooter deemed mentally incompetent

DENVER (Reuters) -Psychologists who evaluated a 22-year-old man accused of fatally shooting 10 people at a Colorado grocery store in March have found him incompetent to stand trial, but prosecutors are seeking a second mental health evaluation, court records showed on Monday.

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa is charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder, and dozens of attempted murder and related charges stemming from the March 22 rampage at a King Soopers grocery store in Boulder, Colorado, about 28 miles northwest of Denver.

Prosecutors allege Alissa stormed the supermarket and opened fire with a Ruger AR-556 semi-automatic pistol that he had legally purchased six days before the rampage.

Among those killed was a responding Boulder policeman.

Alissa has been held without bond since his arrest, and last month a judge ordered that he undergo a competency evaluation.

The report by the two court-appointed psychologists has not been released, but their conclusions were set out in a motion filed by prosecutors for a second examination, to which defense lawyers object.

In their motion, prosecutors argued that the initial evaluation showed Alissa is aware of his legal predicament.

“Defendant indicates an understanding of his charges, the potential sentence, the roles of the judge, prosecutor, and defense attorney,” the prosecution motion said.

In objecting to the prosecution request, defense attorneys said Alissa mistakenly believes he could be executed if found guilty.

“The death penalty is not a potential sentence in this case, and the report reflects his (Alissa’s) fixation on that as a sentence,” the defense motion said.

Under Colorado law, a judge is required to conduct a competency hearing before ruling on whether a defendant is mentally fit to stand trial.

The judge has not ruled on the prosecution request, though the issue will likely be argued during an Oct. 14 competency review hearing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you think that mental incompetence is an excuse for murdering all those people? I don't.

I don't think it's an excuse, but he can't stand trial if he's not competent enough to understand what's going on. Why wasn't he given treatment or institutionalized before he did this?

Do you think that a lack of money for mental health services is an excuse for the state not providing it? I don't.