• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Myths about Evolution.

Uberpod

The only new one on me is punctuated equilibrium. I see creationists trot out several of the myths as if the points are solid debunkers of evolution and they do this with such pride. Someone points out their error and why, but they invariably bring up the same point again in another discussion without reference to the objection. How do their minds let them do this?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The only new one on me is punctuated equilibrium. I see creationists trot out several of the myths as if the points are solid debunkers of evolution and they do this with such pride. Someone points out their error and why, but they invariably bring up the same point again in another discussion without reference to the objection. How do their minds let them do this?

For many of them it is part of a self-defense strategy to ignore objections. They live in a bubble of perceived protection from perceived dangers.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I found this handy little pamphlet online that people should read and discuss!

http://www.skeptic.com/downloads/top-10-evolution-myths.pdf
Nice site. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
icon14.gif

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Love it. Finally a short summary. It makes it so much easier. A lot of frustration in the debates with creationists is that it's hard to give a short overview like this. Many thanks. :bow:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I thought #5 was particularly well done.

But, that said, while the site may well be of value to those who are honestly struggling to understand evolution, it will have little effect on creationists.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Because it was fun to do :D (From Quatermass' OP link)

toptenmythsaboutevolutionill_zps32eebe59.jpg

SEE HIS LINK FOR EXPLANATIONS OF EACH POINT

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It really bothers me that they didn't include the oversimplified adage "survival of the fittest" or "only the strong survive; the weak die." That is by far the worst misunderstanding about evolutionary theory that I tend to encounter.

It also bothers me that they didn't include "some organisms are more evolved than others" or "evolution is progress." It is also by far one of the worst misunderstandings I tend to encounter.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
It really bothers me that they didn't include the oversimplified adage "survival of the fittest" or "only the strong survive; the weak die." That is by far the worst misunderstanding about evolutionary theory that I tend to encounter.

It also bothers me that they didn't include "some organisms are more evolved than others" or "evolution is progress." It is also by far one of the worst misunderstandings I tend to encounter.

UGH! I HATE the "evolution is progress" thing! And the thing I hate most about it is the fact that people who recognize evolution are the ones claiming that it's a progressive thing!

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I agree with you. However, it seems like the link was there to counter creationist arguments and perhaps these don't feature as largely. It would be nice, though, to have a similar document for general misunderstandings about evolution. I'm sure these exist, but I don't know any (my sources tend to be like me- overcomplicated, tedious, and lengthy).

Thana

Lady
For many of them it is part of a self-defense strategy to ignore objections. They live in a bubble of perceived protection from perceived dangers.

Yes, Creationists are delusional and live in a fantasy world.
It's a wonder why you even bother to debate with crazy people.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with you. However, it seems like the link was there to counter creationist arguments and perhaps these don't feature as largely. It would be nice, though, to have a similar document for general misunderstandings about evolution. I'm sure these exist, but I don't know any (my sources tend to be like me- overcomplicated, tedious, and lengthy).

Yeah, that's how it struck me too, but I'm just not interested in the anti-YEC crusade. I would much, much rather resolve the general lack of understanding of the theory in general. Teach what it is about instead of wasting so much time entertaining nonsensical mythological literalism.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yeah, that's how it struck me too, but I'm just not interested in the anti-YEC crusade. I would much, much rather resolve the general lack of understanding of the theory in general. Teach what it is about instead of wasting so much time entertaining nonsensical mythological literalism.
Couldn't agree more.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

Perhaps because 'Survival of the Fittest' is the 11th Myth of Evolution. :)

The myth “survival of the fittest” seems to say: survival is a game and it is won by those who are best at playing it (the “fittest”). But this is supposed to be a story which encapsulates what evolutionary theories teach us about natural history, and in this role it is remarkably ill chosen. Competition for resources and the struggle for survival are part of natural history, and one of the driving forces in natural selection, but theories of evolution demonstrate that competition for mates is just as important as competition for survival in driving the selection process (Shall we dub this “propagation of the sexiest”?). In many social animals the ability to co-operate to protect the young is more important than intra-species competition in terms of the continuation of the species - does “survival of the fittest” really encourage us to consider co-operative behaviours as advantageous? On a wider geological scale, punctuated equilibrium shows that when the conditions change what once was “fittest” becomes extinct - an aspect of lottery entirely elided in the idea of “survival of the fittest”. Except in the tautological sense that “fittest” means “best adapted” this myth is rather empty of applicable meaning.

Last edited: