• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Most/Least Religious States in the United States

FalseSense

Mississippi, Alabama and other Southern states are among the most highly religious states in the nation, while New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine in New England are among the least devout, according to some of the key measures used to determine levels of religiosity in the Pew Research Center’s most recent Religious Landscape Study.

PureX

Veteran Member
But what does this tell us?

The obvious correlations would be between religiosity, poverty, a history of slavery and racism, and a hot, humid climate. But is the increased religiosity because of one or more of these other factors, or is the increased religiosity the cause of one or more of these other factors? I think a lot more information would be needed to draw any sort of reasonable inferences.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Mississippi, Alabama and other Southern states are among the most highly religious states in the nation, while New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine in New England are among the least devout, according to some of the key measures used to determine levels of religiosity in the Pew Research Center’s most recent Religious Landscape Study.

It's interesting that some of the poorest states are also the most religious.

PureX

Veteran Member
Does this mean religious people are less concerned with money? Or that poverty causes people to need to rely on religion for relief? Or both, maybe.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion gives comfort to the insecure. Where security is high, like Western Europe or New England, religiosity decreases.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would suggest the same link applies throughout the world
Though there seems to be a link with poor formal education as well.

" An EU survey finds a positive correlation between leaving school early and believing in a God."

A Vestigial Mote

" An EU survey finds a positive correlation between leaving school early and believing in a God."
That's an interesting one. Perhaps this stems from that notion that many religious people have that there is some "plan" in store for them, or that they can just leave things up to "god" or "the gods," and their fate will be what it will be according to "the plan." Just trying to think of some rationalization that a more religious person might go through when making the decision to leave their schooling incomplete.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean religious people are less concerned with money? Or that poverty causes people to need to rely on religion for relief? Or both, maybe.

Any, all, or none of the above.

Religion gives comfort to the insecure. Where security is high, like Western Europe or New England, religiosity decreases.

I would suggest the same link applies throughout the world
Though there seems to be a link with poor formal education as well.

Both of these explanations appear plausible on their face. Clearly, stress, worry, fear, and/or anxiety can make people think more in terms of religion (as they say "there are no atheists in foxholes"). In contrast, people who have more secure lives, less anxiety, less worry - they will simply enjoy life and not worry about religion or God.

That may be why capitalism is so popular in the Bible Belt, since religion appears to do better (and make more money) when people are desperate and deprived.

That may also be why capitalists/conservatives are typically against education, since they don't want the people to get too smart. That might turn them away from religion.

dianaiad

Just a note. There is a slight anomoly in these studies. Two of them, actually. Turns out that the most charitable people (in terms of personal voluteerism and monetary contributions) are the religious ones, and that the non-religious folks tend not to be charitable, and that members of the CoJCoLDS (that's "Mormons" to most of you...) are actually outside the norm. Outliers. The more educated they are, the more 'active' or devoted to their faith they are. As one of those 'educated Mormons" I understand why, but it might not be obvious to most.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just a note. There is a slight anomoly in these studies. Two of them, actually. Turns out that the most charitable people (in terms of personal voluteerism and monetary contributions) are the religious ones, and that the non-religious folks tend not to be charitable, and that members of the CoJCoLDS (that's "Mormons" to most of you...) are actually outside the norm. Outliers. The more educated they are, the more 'active' or devoted to their faith they are. As one of those 'educated Mormons" I understand why, but it might not be obvious to most.

It would seem to me that general and higher education and religious education are given a very high priority in the LDS. They also give a higher proportion for their time to church duties and charitable work than you find in most churches.

While the Jehovah Witnesses have an equally high regard for religious education they rarely encourage any form of higher education. And those that I have met have also been very lacking in general knowledge and awareness of world affairs.
I doubt that this is in any way accidental.

However both these churches, like all others, have a fairly high rate of attrition to their membership in recent times.

epronovost

There is a anomaly within those studies though. Religous people are indeed more likely to volunteer and give some of their income to charitable cause as long as you include their churches and organisations in this account. Giving money or volunteering for your own Church activities sits between actual charity and self-charity. If you don't count religious groups and organisations, non-religious people are more generous. Gender imbalance might also play a role. Women are more charitable than men. Less women than men declare themselves non-religious and by quite a good margin.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The study itself has a set of very complex findings such as acceptance of gays going up but abortion stable. And in the rising number of those feeling spiritual peace and wondering about the universe no matter whether they're religious or not.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

most of those are the same with the lowest literacy rates and poverty.

Highest Poverty

10. Tennessee
9. South Carolina tied with Tennessee
8. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
6. Kentucky
5. Arkansas
4. West Virginia
3. Louisiana
2. New Mexico
1. Mississippi

Lowest Rate of Literacy

10. Tennessee
9. New Mexico
8. Nevada
7. South Carolina
6. Kentucky
5. Alabama
4. Arkansas
3. Louisiana
2. West Virginia
1. Mississippi

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I recall reading that Orthodox Christian converts in the West tend to be highly educated, as well.

dianaiad

It would seem to me that general and higher education and religious education are given a very high priority in the LDS. They also give a higher proportion for their time to church duties and charitable work than you find in most churches.

While the Jehovah Witnesses have an equally high regard for religious education they rarely encourage any form of higher education. And those that I have met have also been very lacking in general knowledge and awareness of world affairs.
I doubt that this is in any way accidental.

However both these churches, like all others, have a fairly high rate of attrition to their membership in recent times.

so has everybody. it just doesn't seem useful, anymore. to give
god credit for anything. Mind you, there is a huge difference between "God did it so we don't have to worry about it," when curiousity about stuff gets the better of you, and the LDS approach, which is more like "God did it, and we are His Kids, we need to find out HOW He did it" with a rubbing of hands and a 'go forward and see what's what" approach. I'm all for the latter, myself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That may be why capitalism is so popular in the Bible Belt, since religion appears to do better (and make more money) when people are desperate and deprived.

That may also be why capitalists/conservatives are typically against education, since they don't want the people to get too smart. That might turn them away from religion.
I'm often amazed at the things we capitalists believe, favor, & oppose (according to others).

Last edited:

dianaiad

There is a anomaly within those studies though. Religous people are indeed more likely to volunteer and give some of their income to charitable cause as long as you include their churches and organisations in this account. Giving money or volunteering for your own Church activities sits between actual charity and self-charity. If you don't count religious groups and organisations, non-religious people are more generous. Gender imbalance might also play a role. Women are more charitable than men. Less women than men declare themselves non-religious and by quite a good margin.
uh huh. I'm more than a little tired of non-religious people deciding that religious contributions 'don't count' because they are religious. The fact is, non-religious givers hand over money to art galleries, animal rescue projects, local celebrations of whatever, museums, documentaries....I'm an inpatient at the City of Hope right now, and there isn't a single bench, building or even room without someone's name on it. even my room was 'contributed by...someone." There are statues and fountains and benches...all with names on them. I happen to KNOW that my own church has contributed, quite literally, millions to the COH for the purpose of researching the Covid19 virus, and you won't find it's name anywhere.

Now I have no problem with these charities. I support them too. However, the vast majority of charities that help PEOPLE are supported by religions. As in, they COUNT. Just because someone doesn't agree that there is a God to count on doesn't mean that the charities donated to in His Name are not, somehow, 'real.'

I have news. The local Presbyterian church which almost completely supports a homeless shelter "counts' as a charity considerrably more than the Schitzu/terrior mix rescue group next door....and I support both. However, I'm not about to tell the Presbyterians that their efforts 'don't count' because their idea of God doesn't march with mine.

And for some reason, non-believers are tellin believers that Their efforts, in spite of the fact that they actually do more for people, don't count because....there is no God or something.

Not buying it. Sorry. It counts. It counts more than a documentary on how people are bringing back the highland gorilla, as important as that last is.

epronovost

uh huh. I'm more than a little tired of non-religious people deciding that religious contributions 'don't count' because they are religious.

That's not the reason why they shoudn't count. They shoudn't count because they are self serving. Charity is when you give to others not to yourself. Plus, as mentionned before, if you remove churches themselves, believer and non-believers give about as much to charities. Note that non-believers often fund religious charities like the salvation army for example just like believers fund secular charities like the Red Cross for example.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm often amazed at the things we capitalists believe, favor, & oppose (according to others).

Well, it's pretty obvious that capitalists are against education. If they weren't, then we'd have tuition-free universities in this country (among other things).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, it's pretty obvious that capitalists are against education. If they weren't, then we'd have tuition-free universities in this country (among other things).
I had no idea that I've always been against education until today.
Thank you for informing me.