1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    TLDR. Can you explain what parts of the Bible are meant to be taken literally? For example we know th a Genesis is a book of myths. How do you test it?

2. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    @MJFlores , can you please debate properly? You have been plagiarizing lying sites. How about trying to use your own words and quoting only a sentence or two and providing links to those that you copy from. It is improper to pass off the work of others as if it were your own. At the very least avoid Christian apologetics sites. They are nothing more than liars for Jesus.

3. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    So what is that version which is before 1899 which says it is flat?
    Showed you mine
    Isaiah 40:22 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

Version Information

The Douay–Rheims Bible is a translation of the Bible from the Latin Vulgate into English made by members of the Catholic seminary English College, Douai, France. It is the foundation on which nearly all English Catholic versions are still based.

It was translated principally by Gregory Martin, an Oxford-trained scholar, working in the circle of English Catholic exiles on the Continent, under the sponsorship of William (later Cardinal) Allen. The New Testament appeared at Rheims in 1582; the Old Testament at Douai in 1609.

The translation, although competent, exhibited a taste for Latinisms that was not uncommon in English writing of the time but seemed excessive in the eyes of later generations. The New Testament influenced the Authorized Version.

Between 1749 and 1752, English bishop Richard Challoner substantially revised the translation with an aim to improve readability and comprehensibility. It was first published in America in 1790 by Mathew Carey of Philadelphia. Several American editions followed in the 19th and early 20th centuries; prominent among them the Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition Version.

It says....
    upload_2019-6-15_19-26-50.jpeg

even before NASA showed up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Most older versions say that the Earth is flat. You have to cherry pick versions with incorrect translations. For example the most famous translation in the world, the King James Version, says that the Earth is flat. You forgot that those translators knew that the Earth was a sphere and they could not let themselves translate honestly.

5. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    I am confirming the Bible is right.

Leviticus 11:20-22 New International Version (NIV)
    “‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.

And these are the orders to the ANCIENT ISRAELITES, not for Canadians, nor Americans, nor Mexicans, nor any nationalities just for the ANCIENT ISRAELITES. And if these flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean what should they do?

Deuteronomy 14:19 New International Version (NIV)
    All flying insects are unclean to you; do not eat them.

I believe all ISRAELITES are racially extinct, those living in Israel are Israelis far from the genetic purity of being considered an ISRAELITE. Can we eat insects? From the Bible....

Acts 10:9-15 New International Version (NIV)
    About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, you screwed up twice. First you were wrong about what the Bible said and then you told us that your sister proved the Bible to be wrong.

7. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    And having great faith that could move mountains is a rarity
    [​IMG]

So is a 30 feet mustard tree which are found in the Middle East and Africa

[​IMG]

8. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Faith is only believing in something that you know is not true. And what makes you think that is a mustard bush? I bet you got the image from a dishonest site.

9. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,629
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    Nobody asked you what a "true" prophecy was, I think we can all figure that out for ourselves.
    I was asking you what you meant by a "properly written" prophecy.
    Or do you not know what you meant when you said that.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    I believe they did not.
    World War 1 and World War 2 were prophesied during the time of apostle John
    So it was fulfilled

[​IMG]

That is why I and the few of us believe and the rest of the world doesn't.
    Anyways, people have different paths and different beliefs.
    I intend to keep mine - for my salvation.

It is no wonder that from Genesis to Revelations, all pages are lies to others.
    But I wonder if at the end of time if they would even have the opportunity of saying
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,132
    Religion:
    Often the quickest path from ignorance to arrogance and/or condescension
    Just restricted to the non-religious?

Possibly, but perhaps because they think it as justifiable as many seem to think quoting scripture is - where the latter hasn't got the authority that many seem to think it has. Not think the religious irk us somewhat - when we can hardly escape from the influences of religion all around us?

Perhaps they are seeking aid and consolation. Are you here to give it? Christians are so humble, caring and with such humility - are they not?

Speaking for all Christians? No shortage of Christians defending their beliefs from attack here - from what I have seen.

Speaking as a non-believer, I have rarely ever discussed religion with my friends because they mostly think like myself and it would be a waste of time, but I would discuss with any believer as long as they didn't quote religious texts that they have studied, respected, accepted, and believed and then expect me to do so too.

Can't argue with that but perhaps a Muslim, Hindu, Jew, etc. might.

And so you have it. A belief system in operation - one of so many. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    A prophecy that does not meet those criteria is not properly written. Almost all Christians will deny that Nostradamus was a prophet and his prophecies tend to be excessively vague, not unexpected, etc.. They tend to violate more than one of those rules. Now while Christians will gladly apply those standards to others they tend not to do so with prophecies from their own holy book. There are clear prophecies in the Bible, such as the Tyre prophecy, those tend to fail rather spectacularly.

13. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    Faith is what I have which atheist don't
    Faith is my safety.
    [​IMG]

14. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    @MJFlores , I did a Google search on that image. It is not the mustard bush, the one that Jesus was talking about. It was:

Salvadora persica - Wikipedia

One of the names for it is "mustard tree" but it is not a close relative of the mustard bush at all. Now perhaps your source knew that or they were merely lazy. Either way such an error makes them look incompetent at best.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Faith is your downfall if anything. Faith is not a pathway to the truth. A Hindu, a Muslim, and a Christian can all come to their belief by faith. Aren't you interested in knowing what is true instead of believing that which is convenient?

16. wellwisher

wellwisher Active Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Religion:
    Catholic
    This is a good example, where one could say that science got it wrong, if you play the same word game. I know of no human queen who has directly given birth to thousands of her subjects. Why did the atheist scientists call the queen ant a queen, when this ant's reproductive prowess is totally unlike any human queen in recorded history?

The short answer is the term queen ant was used as a descriptive term to help students remember the official biology cataloging, easier. It is was not intended to be taken as a literal parallel to human queens. It is good not to read too much into this.

If you ever watched a locust eat (se below) they use their two smaller front legs, like arms with hands, to grasp their food. Again you are assuming scientific cataloging standards is an objective bottom line, and therefore locust eat with their front legs and feet, even if the front legs look different and are used like arms. Before humans walked upright, did they eat with the front legs feet or with their arms? There is no real answer, other than using subjective convention.

[​IMG]

Another interesting insect is the praying mantis. This is another insect with four legs and two powerful arms, or six legs, depending on your cataloging POV.

[​IMG]

#76 wellwisher, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, one has to retranslate the Bible to make that claim. Many of the "prophecies" were merely wishful statements against Rome. Put those so called prophecies to the test. How many times have people claimed that they have been fulfilled? You will find Christians from almost every age that have reinterpreted those prophecies and used them to claim that the end is coming soon.

18. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +8,629
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    No, according to the wall-o-text you copy & pasted, a prophecy that does not meet those criteria is not a " true" prophecy.

So in other words, you don't know what you meant when you said that.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,817
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Why do you think that there is a difference?

20. Quagmire

Ratings:
    +8,629
    Religion:
    I am not an athiest.
    Sorry, that question doesn't make any sense.