1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,860
    Religion:
    De Facto Atheist - technically Agnostic
    Well, as said before I'm not a teenager and I'm also not angry. In fact, I am laughing every time I see a new response to my thread. Glad to see that you admit at least a part of the Bible is a fictional Fairy tale.

2. SugarOcean

SugarOcean ¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

Ratings:
    +283
    Religion:
    Christian
    I admit when I first looked at that picture what immediately came to mind is that it was a surrealist sculpture of a penis and scrotum.

Not to go over your entire post but just a couple of brief points concerning your "yawn" observations.
    Flying insects can have four legs. Grasshoppers, Locust, and beetles have four legs. The Bible says these were not forbidden and indeed some people did eat these insects. Interestingly enough they are still consumed in some cultures as a food staple. While many westerners consider their fare a delicacy.
    May I never be so hungry God. Amen.
    Other insects, thought to have 6 legs in their classification will have four legs for walking and two legs that are used to draw things to their mouth or head.

It is true that ants have no master. Observation of an ant colony make it appear as if what is labeled the largest insect, the queen, is the leader. However she is not, just as in bee colonies. The queen's are actually slaves to the colony. They're sustained because the queen of ants and bee's reproduce the colony and thus sustain the colony or hive. They are prisoners.

What our unbeliever friend fails to realize or does not care to know, is that Idiomatic language also is used in scripture.
    Further example would be the "pillars of the earth". However, I think if they are interested they'll look that fact up for themselves.
    I would not hold my breath even though blue is a favorite color.

Agreed.
    Is that a question? [​IMG]

;)

#22 SugarOcean, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Ratings:
    +1,742
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    A rhetorical one. I found it amazingly ridiculous that he proclaimed victory even before any debate even started.

4. SugarOcean

SugarOcean ¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

Ratings:
    +283
    Religion:
    Christian
    I know.. I was obviously failing at being funny. And here I thought the pigeon gif would fix that.
    I did not see their OP as an invitation for a real debate but rather evidence of open mockery.

5. SugarOcean

SugarOcean ¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS

Ratings:
    +283
    Religion:
    Christian
    That's why you'll never learn anything.

You are angry.
    Angry bitter people thrive on goading and mocking others. And this occurs because they are deeply unhappy with their life and seek to gain a respite from that condition by working to create anger and bitterness in others. There are more than just one of that type dysfunctional personality joining Christian forums.
    What such people don't understand about the Christians they seek to provoke is that we do not rise in kind to that invitation. Rather, we learn from it.
    The angry goading mocker personality hides behind a monitor because they'd dare not behave off line and face to face as they do on-line. The anonymity factor of the Net gives them false courage and license to exercise their demons. And therein the Christians lesson there is to witness what we could have become before we found our Savior.

Most importantly though is that a Christian doesn't rise to that invitation because by its very presence before us we are made aware that personality is lost and needs prayer. And so you have it.

6. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +3,867
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Don't forget talking snake and talking donkey.

And Genesis 10 about Egypt and Nimrod in Mesopotamia, all wrong.

In Assyria for instance, the oldest part of Nineveh has been dated to around 3500 BCE, while Calch was built around 1100 BCE. Can Nimrod built these during his lifetime?

Likewise, the oldest layer of Uruk or Erech has been dated to 5000 BCE (reaching peak between 3600 to 2600 BCE), while the oldest part of Babylon has been dated 2400 BCE, and Babylon was a very minor and small town at that time.

Babylon didn't become famous until around 1850, during the Amorite dynasty. It also became the capital of Kassite dynasty (1500 to 1100 BCE) and again during the Neo-Babylonian period (6th century BCE). Could Nimrod built both Uruk/Erech and Babylon?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    No where in the verse did it say the earth is flat. What did it say? the circle of the earth. No one can read F-L-A-T anywhere in the verse. It must be an assumption.

Let us try another Bible translation. Translated by the Catholics and old translation, translated even before man took the very first photograph of the earth from space. Here it goes:

[​IMG]

Isaiah 40:22 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
    It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.

Douay-Rheims Bible, Isaias (Isaiah) Chapter 40

So it is no longer 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible, isn't it?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Circles are flat. And if one goes to the original Hebrew it is even clearer that it refers to a Flat Earth. Just because some modern translators dishonestly reintepret the verse does not mean that it refers to a globe. The term used "Chuwg" refers to an inscribed circle, as with a compass. They can only be flat.

Like it or not it is still an erroneous claim.

There was a Hebrew word for "ball" and the writer of that verse did not use that word. Do you know why?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Are these to be taken literally or metaphorically?

I believe these are to be taken metaphorically and not literally. For example:

upload_2019-6-15_13-33-55.jpeg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are they literal pillars? The Bible uses metaphors extensively that is why a lot of people are confused and are only second guessing.

So it is no longer 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible, isn't it?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dell

Dell Asteroid insurance?

Ratings:
    +114
    Religion:
    Atheist
    That's trying really hard to point out error... most of this is obviously ancient literary expessive writing. It's nothing to argue about. The error is the stories themselves, stories being accepted as fact and not fiction, physically impossible, but believed by faith just because its accepted a Gods word.

11. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The problem is how ridiculously wrong does the Bible have to be for it to be taken metaphorically and not literally? Are you trying to say that the entire first two books of the Bible should be taken metaphorically?

12. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Again a wrong assumption between solid firmament and firmament.
    Let us check the dictionary, shall we?

fir·ma·ment
    /ˈfərməmənt/
    noun
    literary
    noun: firmament; plural noun: firmaments
    1. the heavens or the sky, especially when regarded as a tangible thing.
      synonyms: the sky, heaven, the blue, the wide blue yonder, the azure, the heavens, the skies; More
      literarythe vault (of heaven), the celestial sphere, the empyrean, the welkin
      • a sphere or world viewed as a collection of people.
        "one of the great stars in the American golfing firmament"
    If the definition of firmament is unclear maybe using a more understandable Bible translation would clear things up.

Genesis 1:6 Amplified Bible (AMP)
    And God said, “Let there be an expanse [of the sky] in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters [below the expanse] from the waters [above the expanse].”

ex·panse
    /ikˈspans/
    noun
    noun: expanse; plural noun: expanses
    1. an area of something, typically land or sea, presenting a wide continuous surface.
      "the green expanse of the forest"
      synonyms: area, stretch, sweep, tract, swathe, plain, field, belt, region; More
      sea, carpet, blanket, sheet;
      breadth, range, spread, reach, space, extent, vastness
      "this wide expanse of grass and heather"
      antonyms: confined space, enclosure
      • the distance to which something expands or can be expanded.
        "the moth has a wing expanse of 20 to 24 mm"
    There you go, it is no longer 10 laughably erroneous claims of the bible, isn't it?

[​IMG]

The water in the atmosphere makes up only a very small percentage of the total water on Earth. In the atmosphere, water exists as a gas (water vapor from evaporation), as a liquid (droplets of rain and liquid water that coats solid particles), and as a solid (snow and ice).

• Like Like x 1
  13. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,016
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Most atheists read the Bible, and that is one of the main reasons why they became atheists. I mean, going through the first page is plenty to dismiss the whole rest. Actually, I believe atheists would score higher on knowledge of religion, and its tenets, than the average believer.

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 3
  14. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,810
    Cant tell the difference.

images (35).jpeg t

15. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Revelations are prophecies and are not to be taken literally.

Revelation 1:1-3 New International Version (NIV)
    The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

And since they are prophecies, they are written in figurative language and metaphors unless otherwise stated.

[​IMG]

16. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Did the Bible say that? The problem with splicing the verses with .... dot dot dot
    It is like concluding on a partial evidence, a partial fingerprint, totally inconclusive.
    Let us see the whole thing, shall we?

Psalm 96:10 New International Version (NIV)
    Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns.”
    The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved;
    he will judge the peoples with equity.

upload_2019-6-15_14-30-5.jpeg

I think that is the message not in astronomical manner whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Yes, because properly written prophecies always fail. But the problem is that many Christians do not realize that overly vague prophecies automatically fail. If there is more than one possible "fulfillment" then it is a failed prophecy since once can never know if those were the events in the prophecy or an even later one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    Another assumption that - the sun revolves around the earth?
    Or the Bible is describing from a more down to earth perspective?

Psalm 19:4-6 New International Version (NIV)
    Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.
    In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
    It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
    like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
    It rises at one end of the heavens
    and makes its circuit to the other;
    nothing is deprived of its warmth.

19. MJFlores

Ratings:
    +262
    Religion:
    The Bible does not claim that insects have four legs but all flying insects that walk on all fours are detestable.
    Not all insects have wings and not all insects walk on fours.

[​IMG]

20. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +14,487
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Now that is pure desperation.

So we can eat flies. Flies that love to land on any sort of animal waste. They travel on all six when on the ground. In fact I am unaware of any insects that only go on four legs.