1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10,000 coins for anyone who can tell me what this is

Discussion in 'Games / Pics / Jokes / Stories' started by James the Persian, Sep 22, 2006.

1. James the Persian

James the Persian Dreptcredincios Crestin

Ratings:
    +656
    All,

Seeing as I'm bored and way too rich in virtual money that I unfortunately can't spend in the shops, I thought I'd see if anyone here can relieve me of some of my wealth. Assuming that this displays correctly, let me know what you think it is and I'll give 10,000 coins to whoever gets it first. If it takes too long, I'll start giving out hints.

[​IMG]

Good luck,

James

2. BucephalusBB

BucephalusBB ABACABB

Ratings:
    +656
    It's the modern byzantine notation for

[​IMG]

Found at this page

Next time copy the image to another imagedirectory before posting ;)

3. James the Persian

Ratings:
    +656
    That's cheating, but I'm too 'rich' to care. You can still have the coins if you want. Actually, I was only interested in what it was in general (Byzantine musical notation) and not exactly what the western equivalent was. I'm having to learn it at the moment, which is why it sprang to mind in my moment of boredom.

James

4. BucephalusBB

BucephalusBB ABACABB

Ratings:
    +656
    Well, if it wasn't me then most probably someone else did it this way. At least now you know how I found out :angel2:

I'd be happy to guess it next time you post another one though :cool:

5. Tigress

Tigress Working-Class W*nch.

Ratings:
    +189
    Byzantine notation (modern). The Byzantine music symbol 'Apoderma,' or 'Apoderma Neo.' I knew that it was Byzantine notation, but I had to look up the name of the symbol.

6. James the Persian

Ratings:
    +656
    OK, you can have some too, for actually knowing the answer rather than cheating! How come you know about Byzantine notation? I used to play in an orchestra when I was younger, so I'm pretty familiar with music, and I'd never even heard of it before I started learning to chant. I have to say, though, whilst complicated (100 or so symbols) I actually find it more sensible than western notation for singing. The western staff system just seems way too precise and inflexible when compared to the relative way in which Byzantine notation works - perfect for a piano, less so for the human voice.

James

7. d.

d. _______

Ratings:
    +283
    i agree completely - although i'm not at all familiar with the particularities of byzantine notation, the staff system seems to be perfect for keyboard instruments, but with any other instrument you're bound to lose something 'in between the lines', so to speak. i've always found this very annoying.

8. Tigress

Tigress Working-Class W*nch.

Ratings:
    +189
    My cousin (via marriage) is Greek Orthodox. I've never been to church with them, but when I found out his religion, I got curious and I did a little research.--Like I said, I recognized it was Byzantine notation, but I had to sit and think about the name of the symbol, which I couldn't remember, and finally looked up. So thanks. I was trying to hurry and post, but I got that 'unable to establish a connection' page when I went to do so. lol It took me a couple of tries.

Couldn't prove it by me, as I could never quite learn to read sheet music, strange as that may seem.